Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, they say good things come in 3's. We had Serenity, and last month it was Stablemates. This is a tune I've been wanting to work on for a while but never got around to. The TOTM is a great way to learn tunes!

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
What a TOTM is?

Stan

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Tune Of The Month.

Have you noticed that there are more tunes that start with the letter S than any other letter?

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
Tune Of The Month.

Have you noticed that there are more tunes that start with the letter S than any other letter?
Thank you, I had to learn 10 tunes in two weeks... no time to play the TOTM this month but I will join as soon I can.
All the best,

Stan

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Check out the Henderson version on State of the Tenor. Excellent changes in that tune. Prior to dystonia, I made that a regular tune of mine. It's a great tenor song.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Ken - Beatrice is one of the great jazz tunes, not sure how often it gets called/played. Great choice, imho. Looking forward to working on this one.

And totally agree on Joe Henderson's version on STOT. Love that session. State of the tenor - absolutely, positively.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,465 Posts
This one doesn't seem to be in my realbook guys. I'm finally back and ready to give some more goes at this. I had a hand injury that took me out of the game for a while but I played the other day and everything was smooth! Anyways, If someone can help me out with where to get a copy of the tune that'd be great.

·
Registered
188 Posts
jmoen -

The best (I think) versions of the tune to use to learn it are probably the above discussed Joe Henderson "State Of The Tenor" and a Stan Getz recording of it on "The Lost Sessions".

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Don't forget the guy who wrote it! Sam Rivers on "Fuschia Swing Song" .... Super cool album cover too!

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
This one doesn't seem to be in my realbook guys. I'm finally back and ready to give some more goes at this. I had a hand injury that took me out of the game for a while but I played the other day and everything was smooth! Anyways, If someone can help me out with where to get a copy of the tune that'd be great.
It's on JA V91 "Player's Choice". PM me your email address ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,120 Posts
Another vote for sticking with tunes found in the real book. TOTM should be accessible to most everyone, right? Not just you hard-core jazzers with your extensive record collections and aeber**** play-alongs of all these obscure, not-in-the-real-book, crappy (like the last two) tunes.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Another vote for sticking with tunes found in the real book. TOTM should be accessible to most everyone, right? Not just you hard-core jazzers with your extensive record collections and aeber**** play-alongs of all these obscure, not-in-the-real-book, crappy (like the last two) tunes.
I'm pretty sure ALL of these tunes are in the REAL Book(s). Sounds like somebody shat in your Cheerios there mate!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Saxmanjack: Not sure what's behind the negativity about this. I don't think anyone was trying to make this an exclusive or elitist thing, which is what you seem to be implying.

It doesn't look like Beatrice is in the Real Books I have (1,2,3, plus Chuck Sher's New Real Book), but it looks like Beatrice is in Sher's All Jazz real book.

I don't have that one, but anyone who has BIAB and a Yahoo ID can go to the BIAB file archive and get the BIAB file for this tune. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Band-in-a-Box-Files/ I would be happy to link a midi or mp3 backing track created with band-in-a-box, or create a lead sheet if that would be helpful. Not sure if I can link the pdf'd lead sheet, but I'm sure others could.

Btw, who said anyone has to use the JA tracks for any TOTM tunes?

Shawn

ps: I've been challenged lately by some of the TOTM selections myself. But, I'm glad we (as players) don't all dogmatically stick to the same old songs or only tunes in the original Real Book. It's a good mental exercise to learn new tunes and be challenged, isn't it?

For your listening pleasure, yet another Joe Henderson version. Wow.

There's also a live version from Sam Rivers out there...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts
wow Saxmanjack, tell us how you really feel!

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,194 Posts
We had this discussion awhile ago when this all started about changing up the tunes every month so that it doesn't become all about the good players hogging the stage. I think we have to be careful because there are a lot of players on SOTW that want to take part in this but they will feel frustrated if we call what to them is an obscure and hard tune and they have been shedding tunes from the real book. It would be like they came to an open jam with their sax in hand and they don't know any of the tunes being called. I think we have all been there at one time or another. As I remember, I thought we discussed switching up the months so if a hard tune was called then we would go for an easier or more well known tune the month after. That's how I remember the discussion going anyways. So the most people on SOTW could take part and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here it is. This will have you more than covered.

It's a good point about accessible tunes and mixing it up, and I'm sure some of us have taken that into consideration, but I say let the picker pick what they want to play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
The chords of this one was in my Irealbook. I culled the melody line from the Sam Rivers recording. (BTW folks - Fuchsia Swing Song, get that record, it's worth it!) It is really not that hard.

However, the other day I had the same thought that Neff expressed. It has been all stricktly Jazz - and heavy stuff at that - lately in the TOTM. While I like that, I can imagine the R&R guys, the Ska-ers, the followers of Maceo, King Curtis and the like, would like to participate too. So it might be a good idea to call a tune in that genre for next month. I wouldn't mind playing something away from my comfort zone (in fact I'm listening to Lee Allen right now).

Having said that: again, nice call, Ken! Love that tune!

Reine

1 - 20 of 192 Posts