Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i'm new, i play mark vi tenor with yanagisawa metal mouthpiece 8 , love the sound . my favourite player is m.brecker , (good bye for the maestro), but i also like joshua redman . beside that mark vi, i have the conn transitional tenor s/n 243###, buescher aristocrat alto, and yamaha yts-21 student model. the student yamaha really play good thou, this is the horn that i played before i got this mark VI , i put the mark VI neck on it (i bought separate) and with the link 7* plyed beautifull!! ok that is about me for now . oh yeah can you tell me how to put a picture on the forum? thanks a lot....

anthon.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Intro

I'm returning to Sax playing after a very long (20 years +) break.

I used to play and teach Jazz Sax and Piano.

I'm finding it very difficult to relearn. The main difficulty I'm having is getting my breathing right. I'm not as fit as I was 20 years ago. Also my tone is absolutely terrible! I'm getting some basic scales right though.

The family have already stopped complaining, so there is great hope.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there

Please don't flame me if I make mistakes :) I've never joined a forum, and it took some convincing, but I'm glad I registered because the threads are so interesting :D

I've been playing for 16 years now, and have taught for 9 years. I love my alto- my first love, and my tenor, and I can't wait until I have enough money to buy my bari and soprano.

There is not an abundance of info for saxos in South Africa, so I'm just glad that I can finally get help from all you uber-gurus.

Peace :)

Panse

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello all! I've been reading this forum and different articles on this site for a while now but I have worked up the courage to finally post.I am 37 y.o.a. and started playing alto at 13. My teacher was very nice and taught us to read music notation but that was it, so I was never taught scales chords or really any theory. Due to monetary considerations extra tutelage was out of the question, however I always remebered my fingering and basic reading.

Fast forward 20 years and 400= miles ( NYC to MD. )and I have tried to pick it up again. Switched from alto to tenor (cheapy Bundy two) and am progressing slowly (esp. with chords and chordal progressions) The forum has helped greatly, but know that you know a little bit aout me, You'll find me aking a lot of questions. So hello and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to Sax, switching from Clarinet

Hello

I don't play an instrument; my daughter is the musically talented one in the family. Lorelei is entering the 8th grade in the upcoming school year. She has been playing Clarinet for 2 years and loves it. She is consistently 1st or 2nd chair in her band and wants so badly to play Tenor Saxophone. Her band teacher thinks she would be a great sax player and told us to get our hands on a used Saxophone so she can get used to the fingering and play it a bit before the upcoming school year.

We live in a rural town in northwestern Colorado, so our choices are driving 4 hours to Denver, or searching ebay for a sax. We are looking at some used Selmer Bundy saxes, but I wanted to know what some experienced players thought would be a good starting sax for her.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
5 Posts
New SOTW Member

Hi! I played alto and a little tenor during high school...which was a little over thirty years ago. I have rediscovered they joy of playing and performing my growing collection. I currently have five saxes, two clarinets, a flute and an oboe (the repair shop says it works fine).

·
Registered
10 Posts
i, im a bit younger than 41, 17 to be exact ant i got my alto when i was about 12
i really like the people on this forum, realy helpfull and i hope thet i get to provide help sometime

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,
Just registered. Played Clarinet till I was 17 up to grade 7, continued to play a little but not too seriously. now 36 and a friend has just given me a Hessy's Super Model tenor. So, here begins my Sax blowing life 8)
No idea of the instrument history or whether its a good one to start on but i'm sure that'll become obvious as i practice :D
I have a small music studio, so it will be nice to finally be able to introduce some live sax into my mixes - just may take a while....i'm hoping my clarinet skills will translate.
Cheers for reading
Colt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im 15 and in Year 10 in England. I play in the Kent Youth Jazz Orchestra and I have two Yamaha saxes (Would ideally love an upgrade but financial problems get in the way). I have a Y-275 for both Tenor and Alto with a Yanagisawa 6 metal mouthpiece for Alto and a Dukoff 9 for Tenor. I play to a grade 8 standard and have lots of experience in all jazz fields. My own quartet, Room 74, gig regularly in my area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,
Another forum newbie here. I started playing alto sax when I was 11 in the school band (35 years ago)...quit the school band at 15 because I didn't like marching - I kept playing sax though, although in a very undisciplined way.

I stupidly traded my sax for a crappy acoustic guitar at one point, but luckily a friend lent me his brother's sax for about 10 years, so I was able to continue playing. I played sax in a couple of rock n roll bar bands back in the eighties and early nineties, but eventually my friend's brother wanted his sax back, so I retired from playing.

I bought another sax about a year ago though with the intention of adding sax parts to my home recordings (I play several other instruments) -- but I haven't devoted as much time to getting my sax chops back as I would like to. Some musicians I used to play with long ago want me to play with them at some gigs soon - I am a bit nervous about it though as I am very, very rusty.

I thought this forum would be a good place to pick up some tips (like what's a decent inexpensive embouchure? good brand of reeds?) Anyone know of any decent alto sax instructional dvds or anything of that nature? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oops, I just read in another thread that its not okay to ask about brands of reeds or embouchures (not really sure why not? - but I'll respect the moderator's wishes) - sorry about that!

I just read mention of the the book "The Art of Playing Saxophone" by Larry Teal in another thread, so I ordered a copy...sounds like an excellent place to start. I'm learning stuff from this forum already!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Total Newbie

I am a total newbie I picked the Sax up 7 weeks ago I could not read music at all and do not play any other instument but since picking up the Sax I have fallen in Love it is the only thing I want to do I am 38 years old and hope that it is not too late as I read the other threads I see alot of youg saxophonist or people that have been playing since and early age please let me know what you think of the Age issue any tips anyone can give will be welcome. I have a teacher as a matter of fact I have two, my main teacher (and you may of heard of him) is Andy Hamilton from "Andy Hamilton and the blue notes" over here in Birmingham England he is 89 years old and and in the past has had the number 1# selling Jazz album in the U.K. and he has played with all of the old greats, (Dizzy Galepsie, Bassie, Charlie parker, Sonny Rollins) he use to live in the States. I see him once a week but I also have a group lesson once a week and the teacher their is a guy by the name of Alvin Davis he also has had a few albums out in his time. I just feel like I caint get enough or I feel like their is a practice format where I could just get so much more. I've been learning now for 8 weeks and love it so much that I went out and purchased a Selmar Ref 54 I was just hoping that you could give me some tips. I like it so much that I take it evey where with me. when I take the wife to the supermarket I get in the back seat of the car and start practising, when I'm at work on my lunch break i go out to my car and start practicing I just caint get enough. any way I would be greatfull for any comment/tip Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi FrankWilliams,
I don't think age is an issue at all as long you have a passion for what you're doing, and it sounds like you've got that in spades. Wow, I'm jealous of the teachers you have...I'd love to take jazz lessons from an old school bop guy! Sounds like you're off to a fantastic start, good luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi I registered finally after reading posts in this thread for the last year or so. I have been playing sax for over 20 years on and off. I have a BM in performance but have taken time off from playing to develop a career in Information Systems to include getting my MBA in Info. Systems Management. I am returning to the music community and am trying to get my chops going again. I live in the Denver metro now after spending time in IL, CA, and NJ. Now that I have a career that generates some revenue (somewhat unlike my failed attempt at becoming a musician when I was 21) I am looking forward to building a music studio in my basement and really getting back into composing, etc. Thanks for everyone's posts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sax Rohmer said:
Hi FrankWilliams,
I don't think age is an issue at all as long you have a passion for what you're doing, and it sounds like you've got that in spades. Wow, I'm jealous of the teachers you have...I'd love to take jazz lessons from an old school bop guy! Sounds like you're off to a fantastic start, good luck!
Thanks a lot Sax Rohmer I really do love it and it feels like destony that I have those teachers they really inspire I am greatfull

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I'm denechtew, I'm from belgium and I'm playing the sax since my 11years old. At the moment i'm 17 years old. I was searching for an other declaration of a word. But I saw a sax forum wow, I will register and now I'm here I will take a look and njoy this forum.

Best regards,

denechtew

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello,

I'm a new member who just joined.
I am a late bloomer (68 years young) who took up the sax approx 6 1/2 years ago on alto. A year and a half ago I bought a Conn 10M tenor and have fallen in love again. I try to practice from 1 to 2 hours each day and am very pleased with the progress I have made so far.
My sight reading is not the best because I rely too much on my ear (played guitar mostly by ear for most of my life).
I prefer music from the mid-thirties to the mid-fifties, the standards and mostly ballads.
The players I listen to mostly are Ben Webster,Lester Young, and Stan Getz.
I am pleased and honoured to join such a good caring and sharing group.

TenSax

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to you all,i have been visiting this fantastic site for a while now, and thought i would like to get more involved with a group of people who share my love of the saxophone,so i have just registered.I have been playing sax for about 18 years mostly tenor ,i have no formal musical background,just picked one up and after a few lessons got the bug.I have played in alot of loud pub bands with lousy fold back and even less talent and enjoyed every minute.I now play in a really cool soul band, and a 50's rock and roll band,with loads of talent and decent equipment and still love every minute.I have had lots of interesting and great ideas just from reading old posts,and i hope that i can now contribute now and then and continue to learn and talk sax with fellow players.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi everyone,

What a great site! This is my first post. I am a working pro in CT, and am very happy that this site is here. I look forward to being part of this virtual community where it seems so many give freely of their knowledge and wisdom. I will contribute and learn.

Regards,

Jim

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.