Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

This is a great forum and I'm pleased to have run across it, so I thought I'd finally jump in and give an introduction.

First and foremost, I'm an ex-tenor player, who is picking up the horn again after about 30 years away from it. Piano is my primary instrument, but I doubled on tenor way back in HS and a little through college. Anyway, I got the itch and want to go back to playing, so I thought this would be a great place to get info and have some sax talk, and it was recommend by the tenor player in my jazz quartet.

I'm leaning towards alto this time around and have started the hunt for the right horn (I wish I hadn't left my vintage BA80 at my parents house in the 70's and told them it was ok to liquidate it, along with my original B3).

Ok, a little about me (sorry if its a little long, but it was easier to cut and paste from my bio than to type something new).
:)

I'm a college professor & physicist by day, and jazz pianist at night

I am a native Detroiter, and was originally a classically trained pianist, who’s musical world forever changed after hearing Miles Davis's Kind of Blue for the first time. At age 10, I discovered John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Bud Powell, Art Tatum, Thelonious Monk and Bill Evans, and developed a deep love for the jazz idiom. Later influences include Chick Corea and Return to Forever, John Scofield, John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra and others.

After migrating to Cambridge, Mass for college, I continued to write and perform music of many styles. After spending nearly as much time "hanging out" at the Berklee College of Music (which I never formally attended, but still managed to play in some ensembles there), as I did at my alma mater, MIT (which was just up the street and across the river). I got the opportunity from my Berklee experiences to play with some of the greats who were there at the time!

Over the years, I've played disco, funk, rock, R&B, fusion, straight ahead and hard bop jazz, the blues and have done it in North & South America, Europe and Asia. I've had the great fortune to have performed and shared a stage with Mike Stern, Stan Getz, Woody Herman, Baron Browne, John Blackwell, Meisenhower & Destiny. I'm currently the musical director and pianist for the Id.i.om Jazz Quartet. I've also been a long time jazz theory student of Charlie Banacos (both in person and via correspondence).

On a non-musical note, I'm an avid traveler and have visited over 40 countries and have lived in London, Zurich and Geneva. I also share my home with a collection of 7,000 vinyl records and two Great Danes named Pi & Enzo.

Some of my music can be heard at

http://www.myspace.com/meisenhowerjazz
http://www.myspace.com/idiom

Peace & music.

Ray

·
Registered
64 Posts
SOTW new member introductions, October 2009-

Hey all,

:treble: New player to the Saxophone, just picked up an older Grassi Tenor and playing for fun.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: SOTW new member introductions, October 2009-

Now I have made my first post, I think I should also say something here.

I started 2,5 years ago on tenor. My name in english should be 'little summer'. As I live in Holland, I use a dutch name in a lot of places. I loved the sound of the tenor from a very young age and my parents also took me to jazz events. Now I'm 39, so a late bloomer. My partner is a very experienced trumpet player, and the fun of seeing him and others playing helped me to start playing myself.

I play a lot of different things now, classic, pop, latin, and still have to learn a lot. But I enjoy it and it is getting more fun all the time :)

Owh, and I think this smiley describes the eager of my learning: [Impnt] :D

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hello

I just want to say I found this sax forum looking for one handed saxophones, and it has proved to be a very useful site. I originally started on the clarinet in 5th grade, about 5 years ago, and started on the Alto sax about 2 years after that(. I was never really into music, and was playing music for credits in school. Just this year, I was introduced to jazz greats such as George Adams, Hamiet Bluiett, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, John Coltrane, and others (I can go on forever, but I'll stop there). Anyway, I hope to find other fun sax tidbits and whatnot, so I'll soon look around

·
Registered
1 Posts

hey all. i have been playing alto for now on 10 years and just bought a tenor to add to the collection. also have a banjo that i am learning too. my saxes make me miss high school (been out for 2 years now) but are really fun to play and a great stress reliever. a lil about me i am active duty military. other hobbies include skiing, skating, swimming, off roading, ect. i am a very active person. i like to stay busy. but that is about it for now.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi there

My name is Caleb. I've been playing alto for about five years now. Im a senior in high school, so I'm not that great, but i want to pursue music and Saxophone is one of my instruments. I hope to learn a lot from all you guys on here that are awesome, I'm sure. I have been so focused on guitar for a long time that i have let my sax playing slip up a bit, so I'm not near the player that I should be. So I'm hoping to just chill around the forums and check out any cool tricks posted such as the secrets to that magical "A" word (altissimo) that I cannot for the life of me figure out. Sorry for sounding like a total nube. :rabbit:

Anyway, I have been on this site before under google searches about sax stuff and I figured that it was time to just go ahead and sign up for a closer look at the awesome lying beneath the surface here. And that concludes my life story up until this point.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Hello, fellow saxophonists! I was searching sax sheet music and stumbled across this place and decided to join, and I'd just like to say I love the tight-knit community in this forum that I've seen so far!

Anyway, a little about me. I started in 6th grade playing the flute. It was a bad decision on my part, but at the time, I didn't care for music at all. I had no love for what I was doing, and just basically played it because it was an easy grade and it gave me something to do. My 8th grade year, the high school band director came to our band class and said that he needed "runners", some people to help set up props for the marching band and help get the pit instruments to the practice field and such. And for the life of me I can't remember why I agreed to being a runner if I didn't care at all for music. But, I did, and that started my marching band career. That still didn't spark my musical interests any. But, the next year, at band camp, we had way too many flutes and only one saxophone and one clarinet. So, he asked two of us to change instruments. I changed over to alto saxophone and my friend changed over to clarinet. I was given a fifteen minute crash course in sax 101 and was sent on my merry way. So, while I did have a section leader that could and would help me, for the most part I had to learn the ins and outs of saxophone on my own. It was pretty tough, but I went from no saxophone experience whatsoever to playing at a high school level within a few weeks. Granted, I didn't sound all that great, but still, I did it. But the biggest part of my growth during that time was that I began to love the saxophone, and music in general. I loved marching band, concert band, everything about music. Before high school, I had no idea whatsoever what to do with my life and I didn't really care. But now, I know that I want to go into music education. I want to see other musicians grow and I want to teach those with no love for music, like I was, the love of music that I found. Two years after I learned how to play this instrument, I'm already seeing that dream come true on a small scale. I'm a junior in high school and now section leader. My section consists of me and two 8th graders that are marching with us and while the season is not over yet I've still seen those two grow in their musicianship and I see the love they hold for the instrument. Granted, one loves the instrument more than the other, but both share my love for the saxophone and music in general. And so my wish is to be able to use this forum to join this tightly-knit community of saxophonists and to learn from other musicians here both to better my understanding of music and saxophone and to better the understanding of people that may be able to learn from me. I will most definitely recommend this site to the other two alto sax players in my section, the tenor sax player who is sometimes counted in the saxophone section and sometimes in the low brass section, and any other saxophone players I may meet!

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hi All,
I'm here hoping to find info on a Conn C mel sax I need to sell. So far there has been lots of info...Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts

HI all, I am new, I registered yesterday. I want to post a new message, but I can´t and I don´t know the reason. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi, everybody. Good day. I am Lai...from Malaysia playing Alto Saxophone.
Just started 3 months ago and hopefully can get to learn from you all here...

·
Registered
1 Posts

My name is Jesus and I'm a High School Junior. I've began playing Alto in Sixth grade, but it wasn't until my Freshman year [I auditioned for a Magnet school for the the arts] that I began to improve.

Been a reader for a few years, but just decided to join.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Hi all- I'm Richard from Belfast- also lived in London and several years in Hamburg where I was lucky to have some lessons with Herb Geller. Started on guitar in my teens and moved to tenor at 18- playing for 25 years since on a semi-pro basis. picked up flute and clarinet on the way, now also play alto and sop though never got round to getting a bari - too big to get into the house unnoticed! ( though I have a real hankering for a bass clarinet--). I've been lucky to be invited to play with a local contemporary ensemble from here who have performed all over the UK and Europe- also in the Library of Congress Hall in DC. I also play in function type bands and do a little bit of teaching.

Rolltrane because Sonny is the greatest tenor for me but its very hard for any tenor player not to be at least a little bit influenced by John Coltrane.

This is an amazing forum and I've learned a lot from everybody here- we're all really lucky to have this resource- when I think back to trying to learn from records and Tune a Day in the 80s...

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hey guys.

it is only polite to respond to this with an introduction. my name is matt. im 18 years old, living in Belfast. Been playing alto sax for 6 years. . i think. lol loveing it. play in small jazz, funk, and occasionally old school rock bands. started playin Bari sax 2 years ago with a jazz orchestra, great craic, and have no also started to enjoy some kenny G sort of stuff on soprano (and yes, haveing read through some forums i know you all have strong opinions against alot of kenny G stuff. . . .but it is enjoyable to play) lol

Anyway, im glad i fell across this site, it has been a real help to me so far, and i enjoy being part of this little sax community.

Matt

·
Registered
174 Posts

Hey,
I'm a high school junior planning on majoring in Jazz Studies in college. I play mostly tenor but I do some classical on clarinet and triple on flute. After a few months of reading the forums I decided I should take the plunge and become a member.

Jared

·
Registered
1 Posts

Whad up players,new kid in town call me PHRAZER and I'm diggin your sound. The sound of the SOTW Forum that is what it is.
I blew a Conn alto about 25 years ago. I played at intermediate level, but due to lifes changing reasons I let it go. Presto, chango now I am back. ready to go at full attack, and still there is something that I lack. You see that Conn needs to be overhauled. Does anyone know of a shop in the New York City or southeastern Pennsylvania area that does excellent work? A walk in shop is preferred over the processes of some shipping clerk. A tenor is also blowing in the wind. The sky so full of clouds, whew!, where do I begin? The internet poured down on me that day. Drenched with all kinds of horns I would love to play One droplet rained down dry, the Cool Reeds Pipes from the company SMI. Does anyone know anything about this blowee, good or bad? Does anyone have anything to say? Its the new kid on the block. You can call me PHRAZER, ANY INFO WILL MAKE MY DAY.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi!my name is Evgeniy.I'm from the Ukraine.I've been playing on sax for 11 years.sax is my profession.i play pop music.it's an honor for me to be here:)

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks to the organizers of this site. It seems like some fairly good, information. Mabey I'll learn something new.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.