Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The final time the [Nuclear] Whales played was on a 2004 fall tour in Japan. I played with them the last time in July of that year in Oklahoma. Nice to see some healthy conversations out there about the sax.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
Conn: 6M, 26M, 28M, 30M. Barone Bb soprano. Conn C-melody, C soprano. Antigua bari.
680 Posts
Re: Nuclear Whales Saxophone Orchestra

Hi!

I saw the Whales twice--outdoors at UC Davis, and indoors in (I think) Placerville (or Folsom, or somewhere over there). Enjoyed you all immensely both times, and of course have CDs. Thank you for all the great music.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SOTW new member introductions May 2016 -

Hi all, my name's Joan, from Spain. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from all of you guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: SOTW new member introductions Jan. 2016-

Hello everyone, I'm Barbara from London,UK. I'm newbie here. I was surfing and git this site and I think this forum matches with my interest and hobby. I'm just a new learner of sax. I bought a Selmer mark vi saxophone last week and looking for best teacher to learn. I really love sax music. Is there anyone who can help me to learn sax?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: SOTW new member introductions Jan. 2016-

Hi Everyone, I'm Matthew from Derby, UK. I've been playing tenor for almost 2 years now after switching from clarinet which I had been playing for 6 years beforehand. I've loved every minute of playing the sax and have joined a saxophone ensemble and a big band as well as playing in a student production of the musical 'Return to the forbidden planet'. I am currently working towards my grade 8 which I hope to do in November whilst also juggling A levels and learning to drive. Love this website after finding it a few weeks ago and hope to learn even more about the saxophone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: SOTW new member introductions Jan. 2015-

Hi all,

My name is Jean, I live in Belgium and have been playing for many a year, nowhere near pro but I enjoy it nonetheless :) just bought a tenor and thought i should inquire in the mk vi / mk vii section :) cheers all

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: SOTW new member introductions May 2016 -

Sorry this may not be the place for this (I was in the April introductions), but how do I get permission to post in the marketplace? It shows that I do not have permission to post new threads.

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

Been a long time lurker of the forum looking forward to lurking more!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi! My name is Vic. I'm not a musician -- but I'm the father of one. My son, Nick, is starting music college this fall with guitar as his principal instrument. Yeah for me, he has finally settled on a single instrument!
Over the past few years, he also seriously explored and considered alto sax as well. He played guitar in a large Jazz Ensemble for a few summers and was exposed to some very talented players and some very compelling Sax performances. How could he not fall in love with it? But in the end, he chose guitar. Needless to say, the path to this point of his life has been a long and winding road.

Anyway, he bought a beautiful Silver-plated Conn 6M "Naked Lady" Alto Sax 3 years ago and needs to sell it before he leaves for Boston in the fall. I'm hoping to gain enough info from the collective experience of this forum so that he doesn't get ripped off either by selling it at too low of a price OR, even worse, allowing someone to steal it outright by suckering us into some sort of scam.

I do understand that any advice offered that we choose to follow would be our choice and any consequences encountered would be our responsibility as well. So I’m hoping for enough responses to be able to tell if a bit of advice is generally accepted by you folks or not. Specifically, I need how to find out what it's worth and how to sell it online without getting ripped off.

The bell is gold on the inside and silver everywhere else. It is engraved: MADE BY C.G.CONN LTD U.S.A. and adorned with a bust of a naked lady inside a pentagon (it is not a full head-to-toe figure) .
Below the thumb rest, the sax is stamped as follows: 6M VIII PAT.APP’D FOR A 301336 L
The roman numeral 8 (VIII) is also stamped in smaller letters above the neck screw.

I currently have 49 pictures of the sax on my laptop. Where do I go from here and what do I need to know?

I'd like to thank everyone who replies in advance for your time, your knowledge, and your wisdom.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument Drinkware Tableware Barware Automotive tire Drink Automotive tire Revolver Audio equipment Motor vehicle Auto part

NOTE: I only wish to get a feel for what it's worth and how to spot scammers. I am not attempting to sell it here. Because I joined this forum in 2014 and I'm am not a musician so I don't have 50 posts, I could not sell it on this site even if I wanted to.

Thanks,
Vic

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hello. My name is Allen and I reside in Wellington, New Zealand. I started my journey into reading & playing music only 6 months ago with my purchase of my first tenor sax. Self taught so far and loving it. Be great to hear from any locals - looking for a good teacher now as I know my way around the notes and can knock out a few tunes. The one thing I am struggling most with currently is sore top teeth due to biting too hard, despite having the little pads to soften my plastic mouthpiece. Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. After lurking on these forums for years, I thought I might finally have something to contribute. Looking forward to actual conversations for a change.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello everyone,

My name is Adrianne and I am a professional saxophonist and teacher currently living in Belgium (originally from the U.S.) I'm working on a PhD in Popular Music so my research interests include the saxophone and its many uses in popular music as well as jazz and classical. Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts

Hey folks, another lurker turned poster here (with an ulterior motive of getting to 50 posts so that I can sell my alto!). Recently made the switch from alto to tenor and really enjoying it so far. Just playing for fun in Halifax, NS!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi everyone,

Srinivas from India. Long-time lurker, first time poster. I've been listening to jazz for over four years now, and have decided to start playing the saxophone. I've just bought one; in fact, it hasn't even been shipped to me yet. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from all of you wonderful people!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts

Hi everyone. A true newbie here, but my enthusiasm is undaunted by adversity! Great Forum, having referenced it many times, already, to help the learning process. I'm a former singer guitarist/street performer, who has been learning clarinet as a precursor to saxophone. Just received my first sax, yesterday and have been finally fulfilling my lifetime wish, learning sax! What a blast this instrument is! Have spent weeks in preparation, watching youtube lessons, and now am able to implement them.
I have a long way to go, but I'm off to a great start, and looking forward to the day when I can do a decent job improvising with many types of music. I look forward to meting you all!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hi guys, I'm Alex and I'm from Indonesia. Looking forward to learning a lot from you guys.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Hi everyone, AJ here. Currently living in Queensland, Australia, originally from New Zealand. Decided to learn the Sax about 6 months ago, slowly getting there.

1 - 20 of 283 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.