Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , Been a forum member since November 08, but never actually got round to posting anything. So when I did try, I found I was technically challenged? as I'd forgot to activate myself!.
I am an old bloke of 46 years, who decided that I'd like a challenge and picked the saxophone to learn. I have a Selmer paris SA80II, of 1996 vintage I think.
I'm a brit, and live in Detroit (hence the moniker), but for the next couple of years I'll also be living (300 days a year ) in China ,Su Zhou about 120kms outside of Shanghai to be more precise.
I take lessons in China , my teacher Deng Toa speaks very good english, which helps a lot, even accounting for the difference in teaching methods (doe rey me vs egbdf), and I have found that diligence and practice (lots of practice) is keeping me motivated.
One day I hope to be able to carry a tune without the bucket!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: SOTW new member introductions, June 2009-

Hi,

I'm Beth. I've been playing the sax for 5 years, mainly Baritone and Tenor. Starting in September I will be going to Humber College in Toronto for music and I figured this would be a great place to check out some tips/ideas and ask questions.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Hello...
I've started playing sax when I was 10, i.e. a bit more than 6 years ago... and this year I suddenly started playing a lot more, and greatly improved after 3 years of slow progress. I started out on an Amati AAS32 alto sax (has some quirks, but all in all, is a decent horn) 'cause I was too small to play on the old Selmer SA80 II tenor we had, and switched to the latter after one year.
I've recently started building simple pvc flutes, aluminium clarinets, and two rather strange but good-sounding sax mouthpieces... I guess I do like DIY stuff...
When searching for various information (subtones, altissimo, mouthpieces, sopranos, baritones...) a few results pointed to this site, I found it interesting, so I registered.
Oh, and, my name's Milan.
:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts

Welcome. There is a wealth of information here. There's also some fluff and joking too, but since we play sax, and not clarinet, we're generally a little more laid back (you'll know what I mean if you ever visit a Clarinet specific forum!). Anyway, welcome again.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Hi all! I am a tenor sax player since 1982 and soprano since 2001. I studied for a brief sec at Univ of Miami, then for some years at Miami-Dade Community College and then I did 4 years at Berklee College of Music. I have toured all over the Europe and South America as a sideman and played a lot of jazz gigs with my group in Miami, Boston, NYC, Seattle. The last 10 years tho I have gotten more into composition and now I mostly write orchestral music on the computer. Pushing hard to make a living from it. I kind of moved away from being a professional tenor player because I am a real Trane-head and doing all those barmitzvahs and weddings was really tearing me apart. But I still play a bit when I can and I record tenor and soprano as much as possible. Thanks for having this great forum! I look forward to some nice discussions!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi all,

I have been playing the sax for about six months and I started just before my 49th birthday. Too late, I know but my younger days were spent playing guitar and saving money to buy a nice tenor :) I am really liking it so far and once in a while, get a really nice tone while doing improvisation exercises which makes it all worthwhile.

Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts

Hi, I just joined the forum. My name is Esther, I played in a bigband and a 'fanfare' orchestra in the Netherlands, that's basically a brassband with saxes. :) I played a Schenkelaars alto, YTS 21 and YTS 23, Buescher baritone and a YAS 23.
I had to quit playing because of my last pregnancy 4 years ago.

So, here we are now... Last year my also tenorsax playing neighbours asked me to fill in for them in their orchestra, as they were not going to make it to a concert. I was hooked again. I played there for 6 weeks, and then had to hand over the sax again. :(
The very nice neighbour lended me a soprano sax, (Selmer SA80II from '84,) which I had to return a few weeks ago, because she needed it for her orchestra..... I miss it!! I want (read: need!) my own sax!!!
I'm saving money now, and am trying to find out what I want.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Hi Everyone, my name is Kyle, and I've been playing sax for 9 years. I enjoy mostly play in a jazz quartet or quintet (with a trumpet) and I work as a session player being part of the brass sections of several ska, funk, pop and latin salsa bands, and it's a lot of fun too!

I own a Selmer Paris Silver and Gold alto sax.

Hope that here I'll learn a lot of things and share my experience with others.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Hello,
I joined 31 of may, 25yo, playing almost 15years now on tenor.
I'm from the Netherlands, I play jazz (Coltrane addict), and in a harmonic orchestra.

I joined due to my new interest in sax tech and repair.
I'm also member of saxforum.nl

I like this forum, polite talking, healthy sense of humour most of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNBEm1hMTsQ
I'm the blonde one with the blue chequered blouse.
As you hear I am a great artist.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Hello,

Just like Maarten, I have been active on the dutch saxophone forum saxforum.nl. I joined to meet some more The Martin players and lern more about my own martin ;)

I'm from the netherlands and I'v been playing sax for the past 10 years (9 - 19). I mostly play in jazz bands and combo's, but I also play classic music weekly. I love to play my The Martin committee alto '67, but I also play a baritone sax in one or two bands.

Greetz, Ralph

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hi,

I am Martin, another old guy, been playing for three years now, very much a novice but I enjoy it. Been a regular visiter here and just decided its time to join up so HI Everyone.

I'm in England, Cannock to be exact and I would love to meet up with other players for advice and tips.

Great forum, very useful.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi there, my name is Andrew, I'm from Victoria, British Columbia and I've been playing tenor and alto sax on and off in jazz combos and ska, funk and reggae bands for about 13 years now. I'm headed back to school next year for a jazz diploma, which is why I'm on here: I'm looking to buy a relatively inexpensive professional tenor sax and wanted to see if anyone on here can recommend a good model. I'm looking for something in the $1500-2000 range...I'm sure there are many conflicting opinions on this, but any suggestions? Thanks!

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,399 Posts

Hi there, my name is Andrew, I'm from Victoria, British Columbia and I've been playing tenor and alto sax on and off in jazz combos and ska, funk and reggae bands for about 13 years now. I'm headed back to school next year for a jazz diploma, which is why I'm on here: I'm looking to buy a relatively inexpensive professional tenor sax and wanted to see if anyone on here can recommend a good model. I'm looking for something in the $1500-2000 range...I'm sure there are many conflicting opinions on this, but any suggestions? Thanks!
Welcome Everyone, Enjoy the great community!

Green Mango, be sure to check out our marketplace for great deals and also look around at the tenor, what to buy, and other sections as there is lots of great information. One on my list of tenor saxophones in that cost is at http://www.philbarone.com/sax/index.html

·
Registered
4 Posts

Tell about yourself is easyer said than done..... specially when your Englisch is as bad as mine ;) I'm Johan, and I "play" 3 years Alt Saxophone, before that I could not read Music and could not play any instrument.......... I blame my mother for that.
Like most members from the Netherlands I visit www.saxforum.nl/forum a lot

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hi all, this forum is super informational, I could spend a lot of time here. My name is Andy, and I live in Colorado. I played alto sax in Middle and High school, and havent played much at all since tenth grade, but upon finding a Vintage Martin C-Melody sax at a garage sale, I paid the $20 and my interest in the sax is starting over again! The sax needs work, it needs to be repadded, new springs, oil, ect... but it is in good shape. I intend to learn my sax inside and out and will teach myself(with lots of help from this forum!) how to repad it properly. I am excited for this project, and I am determined to do it with care and precision. I know its gonna be tricky, since its probably older than my Grandfather, and I know that style sax is hard to come across anymore, but it will be a fun challenge. I have already got some good advice on this forum. Cant wait to play that C-Melody......

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi
Just joined as I need some motivation and inspiration.
Got a tenor sax just over a year ago, had some lessons and was doing ok but then the lessons had to stop and now I need some encouragement to pick it up again.
Also need some direction as to some solos / music that I enjoy enough to practice.

Picked it up later in life but not too late to learn or enjoy.

·
Registered
24 Posts

ive been here for some time and i play alto,tenor, and clarinet.......yeahhhh just here for help in the older middle school years

·
Registered
12 Posts

Hello! I played sax all through high school and college and professionally in the Bay Area and Denver for 14 years. Priorities changed and I sold my alto to help pay for other things about 7 years ago. Now that I'm back in a state of stability, I am going to take it up again, but on a much more casual basis. I played for years on an old Yamaha YAS 52. Now I'm looking into getting a more professional horn such as a P. Mauriat, upper level Yamaha or Selmer. My influences are Candy Dulfer, Sanborn, Sonny Rollins and Bird. I had the privilege of seeing Candy in person here in Denver not long ago and that really made me want to get back into playing again.

I hope to learn much from you all and I look forward to meeting my sax brothers and sisters out there. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts

ive been playin tenor for 4 years

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.