Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am Frank and live in the USA and am glad to find a good saxophone forum. I used to play a little years ago and am going to take it up again. I now have time to apply to it since I recently retired and told myself when that happens I will devote a major portion of my time to music. I have always been involved playing guitar and bass but really have always been drawn and like woodwind instruments. They seem more of a natural to me. I had a Selmer Mk VI many years ago and can kick myself for selling it. Presently I am considering a student model used alto. My choices are a Vito(made in Japan) or a King 616. Any advice from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: SOTW new member introductions July 2015-

Hello all, 30 year old newbie here. 20 year guitar player with some piano, bass, and drums sprinkled in, but only 2 weeks with a sax. Really enjoying myself as well as all the help and knowledge on here. Seems like a great forum to be a part of.

Currently on a borrowed Buescher Aristocrat alto from my bass player, but looking to change that in the near future with a horn of my own.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Re: SOTW new member introductions Jan. 2015-

Hello everyone. I am Frank and live in the USA and am glad to find a good saxophone forum. I used to play a little years ago and am going to take it up again. I now have time to apply to it since I recently retired and told myself when that happens I will devote a major portion of my time to music. I have always been involved playing guitar and bass but really have always been drawn and like woodwind instruments. They seem more of a natural to me. I had a Selmer Mk VI many years ago and can kick myself for selling it. Presently I am considering a student model used alto. My choices are a Vito(made in Japan) or a King 616. Any advice from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks,
Hi Frank, welcome to SOTW!

Best to open a new thread with your question. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions there. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hi everyone!!
My name is Eros and I'm from Italy. I'm close to finish classical studies but I love to play all kind of music, from jazz to electronic; I play alto and tenor sax the most.

Thanks for all infos on this forum....is great!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

Hi All,

I played heavily in school, on alto and bari. Then didn't touch it for decades, playing other instruments very actively, mostly strings. I tried to restart sax a few times in recent years, but finally just recently played sax on a few numbers nye for first time in 31 yrs. It was a little spooky, but I pulled it off. Thank goodness my horn and embouchure cooperated! I'm enamored with tenor right now, but still have my old alto, a soprano, and a C tenor which is very cool. I'm pouring thru threads trying to catch up, and going thru the mouthpiece quest thing. If there had been a resource like the internet and these forums 35 years ago, I'd have never put it down! Its amazing what I didn't know then. As I re-learn, maybe I can contribute a little to the younguns as we say in the South -

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi,

I'm new to this forum -been reading for a while, but this is my first post. I live in Baltimore. I'm not actually a sax player - drummer myself (cue to all drummer jokes) but my younger son, who is 15 is absolutely crazy about the sax. I know from my own experience that these forums are the best way to learn about instruments and the like. He currently plays a Cannonball Tenor and would like to get a soprano. I've been reading up on them and learned a ton.

Thanks to all,

Pablo (Bubingo)

ps. Happy New Year

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello. I am a novice. I come from Polish, and I am a saxophonist. I play the alto saxophone for 5 years. I prefer popular music and jazz

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hi Everyone. I'm Jonathan. I live in the Capital Region of New York. I played the alto saxophone for several years in junior high, but haven't played much since I was 15. 13 years later, and I'm trying to get back into playing tenor.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello
I am Terry living now in South Carolina. I began playing alto in 1985 and bassoon in 1989. I picked them back up in the last year after almost 10 years of only occasional playing. I have no idea how I ever let it go like that! Glad to be here.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hey everyone. I have read some articles from the website and registered today. I hope to gain knowledge and improve my skills by the collective information posted on the site.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hi, new member here. Not a sax player myself, I play guitar, but I am a longtime sax lover...my user name reflects one of my favorite players. The main reason I'm here is to use this great resource for my son, a budding sax player and eighth grader. He has over the last year become quite a bebop fanatic. Pretty cool. I love many older forms of music...from the jazz of the 20's, through classic swing, bop, soul jazz, old school soul and r and b. Once fusion and electronic keyboard eras come into play I can't hang anymore though! Greetings and happy to be here.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi everybody! I'm Charlie, I'm from Seattle. I started playing the alto sax in middle school and switched (mainly) to tenor in high school. I just graduated college, and now I play them both about 50/50. I'm glad to be here, I've read the forums for a while and they are fantastic.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Im Kelsie Grimsley and I'm a student currently pursuing a music ed degree. Mainly an alto player but working towards technical proficiency on soprano and tenor. Ive found some great transcriptions on your forums and decided to join to take better advantage of that.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hi everyone!

Marcellus here from eastern USA. A little about my saxophone experience...

I have never learned any instrument whatsoever in my life. Summer/Fall of 2015 it dawned on me that I wanted to learn. I do not remember where the thought germinated from, but it was an overwhelming desire to expand my horizons. And it was an easy choice for me to choose the saxophone. Always loved the sound and the coolness/sexiness factor.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment, and I could not practice, so I had to give it up. SUCKED! Of course. But then I stumbled upon the E-Sax mute. So now I have decided I will give it another go, after I purchase the mute in February 2016.

Very eager to learn and become proficient enough to play for friends and whatnot. Nothing too ambitious, but I do want to learn everything I possibly can!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hello,

My name is Sue and I live in Wisconsin. I contracted the saxophone bug back in the 80's as a high school student and played on and off afterwards--depending on neighbors and landlords. Sadly, I lost my old reliable Bundy in a move ten years ago. As much as I missed it, I couldn't quite justify the cost of replacing it with kids to raise and a mortgage and whatnot. This Christmas though, my now-grown kids decided to take matters into their own hands and gave me a check earmarked for a saxophone and nothing else. I've been shopping ever since, and think I've settled on trying to find either a YTS-21 or 23 or a Vito (Japan) equivalent. Those would seem to have the most bang for my buck in my price range and experience level.

I really appreciate all the great information in so many threads. I'm sure I'll continue to lurk around the forum for tips and advice. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts

Hi All :)

I'm C.x

Twenty odd years ago started playing the tenor but switched to the alto as my neck couldn't take the weight (whiplash injury). Got to the stage where the neighbours turned their TV off to listen, but then sold my sax when new baby came along.

My family knew how much I missed it and that I hadn't bought another one due to lack of time and money (we have horses, say no more!), so they surprised me on my birthday three years ago with a brand new alto sax :) Absolutely wonderful idea and it looks beautiful, though sadly I can't get a squeak out of it (actually that's all I could get out of it...). Ended up not wanting to try as thought I was useless. The i broke my right wrist and it was plated, which didn't work as a screw interfered with a ligament so the place was taken out, then I broke it again (horses...), so two and a half years had passed and I ended up just admiring the sax sat on its stand in my bedroom.

Finally my wrist was healed enough and all digits worked well enough to give it another go. Still no more than a squeak. Off to Windblowers it went for a once over. They were very polite and did manage to improve things a bit, but whilst there I tried some of their altos and well, I didn't squeak! I wasn't totally useless! So hubby gave me an early birthday present and bought me the intro Yamaha :) Can't remember the model, only that it was around the £700 mark.

Long commutes, silly working hours, and staying away (hotels not the best place to practice - I tried taking it so I could just do the fingerings, but the temptation to blow was too great!) all meant it got put aside again, then colds and I thought I shouldn't practice when breathing was already hard enough, but now, maybe now, I'll get practice... I want to get to the stage where the dogs stop howling and to be able to play Baker Street for my hubby by the end of 2016.

I do need to find a teacher. If I could remember the name of the guy I had all those years ago then I'd love to see if he's still teaching, but I fear the chances are limited.

Anyhoo, that's me folks. Looking forward to reading and learning and participating where I can.

C.x

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hi guys.
Thanks for this wonderful forum.
My story is a little ridiculous, I know. But it may have a meaning to amateurs like me who were just about to give up for the wrong reasons.
I bought a cheep sax in 1980, a then twenty years old Keilwerth New King alto that had served a musician for at time. I was allowed into a small brassband of mixed police and railway servants right from the start, thereby having an inexpensive source of teachers in the art of saxplaying. I didn't play great, could hardly read the notes and spent the public concerts hiding in the back row.
Well, to cut it short. After a little while I found a wonderful woman - who hated the sound of saxes. It wasn't a matter of choice, but life and kids came up upon me and took my time from playing. No regrets. It was and is wonderful. And... as my sax-coach said: This is also music!
One day - after 35 years - I found my sax on a shelf. It was just lying there. The wife was still working, but I retired - and I had some time alone...
I tried playing it but it sounded just as bad as 35 years ago. I kept on for a week as much as my lips would endure, same result. But just before giving up on my failing talent, I got the notion that... perhaps this old sax needed to be looked over by a repairman.
The repairman immediately found more than a dozen problems in the horn (...?!!) and he did not charge me a lot for a reasonable repair. And suddenly even I could make pleasant sounds with it.
I worked my way through an old songbook and now I am underways playing the jazz standards of the 1930'ies which I love. I promised myself that I will not play in public at all, at least not for the next couple of thousand training hours. Its ok. I love every minute.

Kent

·
Registered
2 Posts

hello everybody..
my name is Paolo Porta, tenor player living in Torino, Italy. Great forum, best place to share thoughs and ideas about music and saxophone. Thanks for having me.
p

·
Registered
1 Posts

I play a bit of piano and ukulele, but I'm learning to play the clarinet and have just acquired an old alto saxophone today. While it's languishing in the shop to be sorted out, I thought I'd come meet everyone. Whilst I haven't actually played saxophone more than a few times many years ago, my children are musicians and I have always made sure they had lessons and instruments to play. My daughter Hope plays a mean saxophone. I'd like to know more about my saxophone and thought this would be the place to find out! :)

By the way, the alto sax is a Trafford, Made in GDR. Serial Number 48905.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hello all, my name is Malcolm, I'm from Chicago , il currently a college student and I just excited to finally be a part of the forum

1 - 20 of 170 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.