Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012 October -

Hello all. Another "New Kid" here.
Found you guys looking for information about my flute.

My name is Cullen, yes, only it's Edwards last name. I was in
band in high-school and a part of a year of junior college right
after. My oldest younger sister told the director I had been
"playing with her flute" so he signed my up for the Low-Brass
section on a Baritone. I kept asking "Sax?" Anyway a couple
of years later, as un-tended kids will do, we discovered to
realy READ music. Trombones, Bass-Cleff ones do, plays the
SAME music as a Baritone, and a Tuba only plays down on
the scale. What-da-ya-know. WOW!
Where was I at? OH yea, The kid with the Trombone and I swapped
and I actualy could play it better than him. His arms weren't long
enough to get to 6 or 7. Slide time took over valve time.
A few decads pass and here I am.
Ner de fer, de fer!

·
Registered
1 Posts

hi, i'm matt, i played soprano clarinet for a few years in elementary & middle school (~1990) but unfortunately quit.. nevertheless i want to take it up again, but actually i've been fantasizing about the bass clarinet for years... darn they're expensive...

i thought i'd found an amazing deal on one last week, thru a lesser-auction site, and it turns out they had mislabeled it, and now i have a 1972 LeBlanc Alto clarinet (which it appears many you are scornful towards!)... no mouthpiece yet, i need to decide if i want to mail it back to the auction site and get a refund, or just get started with this thing... i suppose then i'll know if i really want to drop the money on a bass clarinet (i would totally, if i knew i was actually going to play it often!)

musically, i don't really know what i want to be doing, probably something more experimental, at least for a few years while i learn (re-learn?) the instrument.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hello all! I have been playing for a little over 20 years with the last 6 being semi-professional between my old home place of Chicago, IL and my new home of Louisville, KY. I spend about equal time playing for groups on alto, bari, and bass clarinet. I have spent many years playing on my vintage horns including Martin's (Altos and tenors), SML's (my lone tenor since my alto was stolen), King's (Marigaux Bass Cl) and Conn's (12M Bari and Chu Berry). However, I did finally suck it up and buy a new Selmer Series III alto -after enjoying years of playing my old Mark VI & Mark VII (yes, I actually got hold of a good Mark VII!!!)- and fell in love with the new horn. I tried a few Yanigisawa and Yamaha horns, heck I even tried some P. Mauriats and the Peter Ponzel Antiqua first, but the Selmer was a perfect fit for me. So, I still practice 2 to 3 hours a day even when I have a gig in the evening and dream about playing every moment that I am at work during the day.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hey Matt. Glad to see you here.
I read about the alto clarinet thing and I just have a suggestion to make. Keep the Alto and play it! If you can make that thing play while you are looking for a suitable Bass you will be ready to make the Bass sing once you find one! To paraphrase the old saying "If you can make it on an Alto Clarinet, you can make it on anything!" Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Re : Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012 October -

Yes, I think I would like to hear more about someone else who found treasure in the dumpster. Mine was a Conn 12M Bari from about '52 in a recycling dumpster. Even with coffee grinds on her the Lady was still beautiful. $500 in sterilizing and repairs later and I use her for professional gigs!
See folks, it pays to recycle!!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Good day to all. My name is Clarence. I've been playing off and on for ten years. I'm a young guy looking to learn as much as possible with my horn. I look forward to connecting with you guys.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Sitting here listening to Gato Barbieri (Que Pasa) while applying online to some job openings. If not playing the tenor sax, I enjoy listening to it. Without a cheerful sound and vibe, I would be so depressed with all this no job stuff. Had a great job in 2009, then got the surprise call. Would have retired from there and had planned on it. Now I'm looking for almost anything. Enough rambling. Break over. Toodles to all!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi there. I've been lurking around this forum for some time, but I thought it was time to join. I've been playing tenor sax since 2006, but have been stagnating a bit, and am looking to get into Jazz playing.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi
I'm Len in Cheltenham, UK. I have an old baritone sax made by 'Adolphe Sax' - well its his son by my reckoning. I think in 1907 from the serial number. I wonder if any members on this forum could shed any more light on this instrument.

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Yes, I think I would like to hear more about someone else who found treasure in the dumpster. Mine was a Conn 12M Bari from about '52 in a recycling dumpster. Even with coffee grinds on her the Lady was still beautiful. $500 in sterilizing and repairs later and I use her for professional gigs!
See folks, it pays to recycle!!
Congratulations!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi I am in the UK. Does anyone have any experience of plastic reeds - I have bought a Hahn No3 for my alto and I find it a bit edgy. Are the Legere versions any better?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello out there..Victoria BC area here,,played for 20+ yrs about 15 yrs ago,,,turned 50 (ouch) and decided my mid life crisis came wrapped as a 1929 Chu Berry Tenor ,,the wife prefers this purchase to a Corvette,haha,,looking forward to rediscovering the world of playing saxophone and welcome any insights and encouragement that can be offered,also, looking for my embouchure,I thinks its lost. Have an excellent day!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hey all,

My name is Budway and I am an undergrad at VanderCook College of Music. I major on Alto Sax here and love it a lot.
I'm very excited to be part of this forum specifically for saxophonists where I have already read so many engaging discussions that I want to take part in.

Talk to you all soon.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Hello all! People call me Roc, but my name is Eric, from Louisville KY born and raised. My grandfather was a local legend on clarinet and sax and started teaching me the sax from a very young age. I played all the way through school, and into college. The "rock and roll" lifestyle took it's toll and I never quite made it out of college with a music degree, but I continued to rock, learning piano, bass, and guitar to go with my sax skills. I play in my own group doing original music that is an indescribeable mix of blues, rock, jazz, and funk. My axes consist of the Selmer Mark VI Alto 160XXX my grandfather left to me in his will, a funky FE Olds Parisian stencil Tenor made by Pierret (which Im trying to replace with something more pro level), a Yamaha YSS-62 purple logo Soprano, and a beat up Martin Handcraft that belonged to my great uncle Louie.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Greetings all, I'm
" bigwolfy" Baron , play sax,harp,flute and vocals in several bands and clubs around San Francisco Bay Area. I dig old horns and like learning more about their history.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hello, this is Carmine, from southern Italy. I got involved with saxes a few years ago and I started on a Aquilasax C Tenor Sax, a good instrument, then I got a Yanagisawa T-902 Tenor, and eventually a Gear4Music Baritone Sax. At the moment I'm playing in a city band my baritone sax. Greetings to everybody from sunny southern Italy!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hello, everyone, I really have enjoyed this forum and I decided it was time to join. As you can see, I have some lofty aspirations, dream big, I say!
My name is Scott, I live in Lakeport California and I play a King 615 tenor, but the horn I would really love to own, well, I think you can guess! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hello, this is Carmine, from southern Italy. I got involved with saxes a few years ago and I started on a Aquilasax C Tenor Sax, a good instrument, then I got a Yanagisawa T-902 Tenor, and eventually a Gear4Music Baritone Sax. At the moment I'm playing in a city band my baritone sax. Greetings to everybody from sunny southern Italy!
Carmine,everyone I know eventually plays a Bari, it seems like a natural progression!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hi,

I'm from Melbourne, Australia. I joined the forum, when looking for information on a flute purchase. always wanted to play a flute in school band, but got stuck in the percussion section , and auxiliary percussion at that. was on glockenspiel duty most of the time, or the humble triangle haha.
had piano lessons to AMEB grade 5 then quit, recently took up organ (still learning pedals) and wanted to try out the flute :p so here i am.

21 - 40 of 226 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.