Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome on board new members. You have found the Saxophone Forum.
I hope that you will like it here.

Please note that one forum post and two-days membership are required for gaining full membership rights. E.g. for sending private messages and email to other members and signature line.
Also please note, that new member's first posts are held for moderation if they contain links or certain key words.

So please introduce yourself here in this thread.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012 October -

Hi, I'm John, and am self employed doing some software development. I started picking up the alto sax that was in the house about two weeks ago, and am loving every minute of it. Here to read tips and find songs for me to practice, and really get moving with this instrument.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi, JammieofDorset here,

Please allow me to introduce myself

Been playing for about 3/4 years, a mature (very), play at about grade 4/5 and a member of a community band in Bournemouth.
Often got questions and time pressing!!

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,657 Posts

Hey,

My name is Simon and I have been playing the sax for 16 years. I play professionally in Charleston, SC. I also buy and sell anything saxophone, mostly vintage saxes and mouthpieces. I am married and have a 1 year old son. My wife is awesome and supports my sax addiction! I have always read the posts on this forum since about 2002, but for some reason I never joined. Well. Here I am 10 years later!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey!

I'm Owen and I don't play saxophone! I am a guitar player based in WA and have lurked this forum from time to time for many years. Finally signed up to let people who may be interested know about the Lyricon I am selling on eBay.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi, I'm Fren. I've been playing music all my life, mostly guitar, but I studied cello for years, and play a little piano, recorder, flute, sax, drums, etc. My son has been playing alto lately and a friend loaned us an old The Martin Tenor RMC Elkhart. SN indicates '61. I can get through a few basic scales, but basically, I suck. I've been working on easy duets I can play with my 10 year old son, who is playing alto, and I can get through them, barely. It's fun, but hard. I'm looking for a stand. Anyone have the Hamilton KB960? How do you like it?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello, my name is Andrew. I am 16 years old, a junior in high school. I have been playing alto saxophone for around 5 years, absolutely love it, and wish to learn as much as I can about it. I mostly play in symphonic and marching band, and I focus mainly on classical music outside of that. There are so many incredible saxophone players out there, and by joining this website I hope to gain some knowledge from them.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello, I'm Panther. Been playing for 1 month after a 17 yr layoff. Before I stopped I played for a year. I have a private teacher and practice a minimum of 3 hours daily.
I play a Conn Shooting stars and love it. But I love anything sax! Looking to perform in 5 or 6 years. Glad to find this forum.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Hello, my name is David. I've played on and off throughout my life, at an intermediate student level. I find it hard to get beyond that due to other commitments such as education, career, kids, etc! Used to play tenor and flute but switched to alto due to neck and wrist problems and gave up flute because I could not put in the hours. At some point I would like to play with other adult students in the Toronto area. Enjoy many styles of music from classical to rock but my favorite to play is swing band. My current horn is a Yanagisawa A990u.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Hi, I'm Tony. I'm not a player yet, but I'm interested. I'm just researching what to buy and why. I'll turn 50 next year and I would love to be able to serenade my wife some day. As for me, I'd love to play along with Stan Getz "Girl from Inpanema". I dig that warm tone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re : Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012 October -

Hi Everyone, I'm Jason and I've been a sax player for 20 years (hard to believe it's been that long...) and also play clarinet, flute, guitar, bass, keys, and ukulele. Although I sort of halted my woodwind playing for a period of 6 years or so I advanced my playing skills on other instruments and in turn developed my ear and overall musical understanding.

Allow me to explain my most important reason for joining this lovely forum. A few months ago I was working on a kitchen renovation. I went outside to make sure the dumpster we ordered was clear for the floor debris we needed to dump only to find that the dumpster was overflowing old household "junk" and had to (angrily I'll say) get in and move things around. It was in that dumpster that my passion for my first axe was rekindled - I found a 1962 King Zephyr Tenor, an intermediate well-playing Bb clarinet, and (my newest baby) a 1939-40 Conn 6M Alto (all in hard cases) buried and waiting to go to the landfill! At first I couldn't believe the ignorance of this person to throw such beautiful works of art in the garbage and then couldn't believe the luck that I had in finding them. What are the odds??!!! I immediately brought them down to Perry Ritter, definitely one of the best in my opinion, got the 6M overhauled and the Zephyr worked on a little. Needless to say I am back and more devoted than ever - like 5-10 hours everyday so far devoted.......

Thanks for having me on this forum and I can't wait to talk saxes!

P.S. I can definitely embellish on this story and provide plenty of details if anyone would like.

Talk Soon,

Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Re : Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2012 October -

Hi all, I am 'nessie' from the Netherlands. I have been playing the soprano saxophone for a little bit more than 4.5 years now. I want to learn more about the techniques of getting more beautiful sounds from my horn, and I think I just found the right forum to do so, as I have discovered lots of great information on this site.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hi,
My name is Lyall. I am from Perth Australia. I have played guitar nearly all my life and now decided to try sax. Still a raw beginner, but my sons blues band haven't thrown me out of the room yet. I started with a Mexicon but was soon tempted by a 1920 Martin curved soprano and a YTS23 tenor, so the serial collecting has started again! All play well ( even the con ) but I have been captivated by the soprano.
Regards Lyall

·
Registered
37 Posts

New Member: GuyWithDogs

Another guy who played alto sax and clarinet way back in high school, then less in college, then stopped, and finally got back into it. Did standard concert band and stage band in high school, took some lessons, and liked it a lot. Played in a youth military marching band (this is all in Canada in the late 1970s). Playing dropped off as I went further and further in college, and pretty much stopped after I started working. I'd picked up some synthesizers and a WX-7 wind controller and toyed with that, but just at home. Got married and started a family, and didn't play much anything at all. About 9 years ago, I ended up moving near Seattle, WA, where they start music education at a much younger age. My youngest daughter took up alto sax, and it perked my interest back up. Didn't do much, but did get an EWI USB wind controller and started playing about at home again. Used the EWI to cover a bunch of woodwind parts for a high school musical a couple of years ago. My daughter played alto thru high school, and started playing with her college jazz ensemble. Bought a better horn that I let her use, and eventually it sat in the closet when she changed to a different school. Finally bit the bullet and dragged the horn out earlier this year and joined a local community band (which fortunately didn't audition). Been enjoying it again ever since, and got a tenor sax earlier this year too.

Looking here for tips, stories, camaraderie, etc.!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello. I wanted to learn Sax at school and put me name down. My school had an arrangement with the Royal Marines School of Music in Deal Kent (The one blown-up by the IRA) and on the day of my first lesson I was presented with a trombone and the fierce Bootneck said, "No sax's so you got a trombone son." Had a go but I was never fired-up about the instrument so I packed it in. Now, 30-odd years later and living in France I am having lessons from Vincent Mondy courtesy of the Conservatoire Intercommunal de l'Haute Vienne. I struggled at first with an alto which my teacher said played like it had fallen out of a Chinese Christmas-Cracker (or at least he would've if he knew what a Christmas cracker is! They don't have 'em in France.) He wasn't far from the truth.
Now with a Yamaha YAS 275 I can hit those low notes and high ones without sounding like a Moose!

I'm here to learn.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi My name is Xander and I am new to the Alto Saxophone. If anyone has any tips I would really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
24 Posts

hello. i'm peter, i've played the sax for nearly 40 years with serious breaks. i'm an improviser.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello my name is Darion, I've been playing the alto saxophone since i was 10 (I am 14 now) and joined this website to learn and improve on my instrument. I am in my school's symphonic band and jazz band but I am very interested in jazz music.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi I am based in South Africa and came across this site looking for the value of my awesome Selmer Mark VI alto saxophone - low 5 digit serial number model! Now I am beginning to realise why it is such incredible instrument with a sound so pure - awesome to know. Also have a classic KONN Tenor, which also has an incredible deep raw sound. Have not been playing much as I have been travelling a lot but must get back into some Jazz again. So if there are any musicians in Durban South Africa on this forum please contact me.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Howdy. NG (new guy) here. Hope you don't mind if I sort of kick around in your 'hood'. I will probably be asking some stupid questions, but will try to find them on the forum so that I don't burden you down having to rehash lots of old info. I'm accomplished at some things, but just picked up the old tenor sax after over 30 years of downtime. I purchased a slightly used horn from Craigs List Tulsa, Ok. It is supposedly an intermediate horn. I had to sell one of my favorite pistols and ammo to get the funds. I sold a S&W Model .500 magnum with 10.375 inch barrel and a lot of ammo for it. Also had a Leupold 4X Heavy Duty pistol scope attached. I forgot to put fly fishing and kayaking on my hobbies. I love to fly fish for trout out of a 14' sit on top kayak on the White River. Toodles to all. Look forward to learning much from you!!

1 - 20 of 226 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.