Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! : ) I'm a 16 year old saxophone player from Norway and I've been at it for about 8 years. I've recently invested in a selmer mark 7 alto, and I'm playing in a rock/R&B band. I perform on a regular basis and my reason for joining this forum is mainly because I'm looking for good advice on what kind of tenor saxophone I should buy. The first thing I thought of was buying a selmer mark 6 tenor, but saxophones like that are quite rare :/ they are in my country anyway. I'm also interested in mouthpieces and how some kinds of mouthpieces fits for one style and not the other : ) I'm studying music in a "specialized" version of senior high and I'll be going on a small tour with my band soon. I'm looking forwards to both discussing and learning from all of you! : )
-Stian

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2011 April -

Greetings. Long time viewer who has benefited greatly from the shared knowledge on these forums. Saxophonists unite!

J

·
0 Posts
I'm in high school in America. I play classical ad jazz tenor and am ranked 7th in the state for classical alto.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heyo, I'm from western MA, longtime player and always learning. Vet of two rock bands. Just re-formed one and we're stripping it back to basics. The band has twin tenors, guitar, bass, drums. I love all kinds of music from all kinds of places but I love to play rock and roll.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi everybody, i'm jools iv'e been playing sax for 13 years, started at 36 i'm now 52 and a travelling trubador useing backing track's
and playing mainly the South West of England, i got an old 508 Merc and do tours its tougth making a liveing out of playing,liveing in a van
but i love my 1930's Radio Improved, its so sperited, sometimes i think its telling me how to play it, i love it! its nice to be here with like minded people.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 48 and have wanted to learn to play the saxophone since I was 13 years old when I first heard my older brother playing some Junior Walker 45's (vinyl - those were the days). Well sports, school, and life in general got in the way so here I am now trying to learn to read music and play. Looking forward to learning from everybody's wisdom on this forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am a Finnish woman living in Northern California, and I've been fooling around with sax since -98, but only the last 3 years with a serious and growing intention to really learn how to play. I've been doing music most of my life, mostly as a singer but sometimes also playing with different instruments, but saxophone is the one and only with which I really feel like home. So... nowadays I put all my musical effort to practice my horn.

All that work during these three years has now brought results: I was participating a jam session yesterday and the first time in my life felt that I could really _play_ jazz instead of just going somewhere towards the direction only... It was almost a religious experience, and I am still astonished... it feels very much like falling seriously in love, really :)

PS. I actually met Harri Rautiainen a year or so ago in Mendocino jam sessions, Helsinki Finland. That's how I came to know about these pages. IRL I am called Katja.

Hello to everyone!

·
Registered
42 Posts
16 year old from north texas. in jazz band on tenor. bought my own instrument over this past summer( got tired of cruddy school instruments) i hope to learn alot from reading around!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I'm A Saxophone player from Utah who saw some good deals on mouthpieces! I really like the idea of a saxophone based web-forum. I look forward to reading and buying!

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
PS. I actually met Harri Rautiainen a year or so ago in Mendocino jam sessions, Helsinki Finland. That's how I came to know about these pages. IRL I am called Katja.

Hello to everyone!
IrmaG,
I remember you. You came to Mendo jams a few times. I read also your other post here. Quite inspiring.
Welcome Katja, and also all other recently joined members,
~Harri

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone. I have been a lurker in the forums for years. I am now 50 and have been playing a reed instrument since I was 11.

I play mostly alto and flute these days, but occasionally have to find my clarinet.

See you around,

James

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi everyone.

I am a sax player from Madrid, Spain. Playing almost for 15 years now on tenor although only continuously during last four. Recently purchased a soprano and really glad now to be a SOTW member.

See you on the forums !

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey my name's Noah. I started playing tenor about half a year ago and i really love it. right now i'm playing a bundy 3. My grandfather who passed away awhile ago had a selmer mark 6. My mom is basically holding on to it right now and is soon going to let me play it. I started trombone when i was in 4th grade and the next year i learened baritone. Right now i play those instruments+tenor, alto, clarinet and other stuff. hahah.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Sax guys,
Name is Dorian and I live in the Bahamas. Used to play sax as a second instrument to guitar back in the day when I was on the road (late 70s). Now getting back into it and trying to get a vintage rock band back together.
Looking forward to posting and learning from everyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello my name is D. Jones and I have been playing a Yamaha YAS-23 alto saxophone with a runyon quantum 7 metal mouthpiece and 2.0 legere reed for 2 years. I am teaching myself: rubricks and lots of rhythm and blues sheet music. It is painful and slow progress, but each year it gets a little better. Orlando, Fl area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone

After messing around and teaching myself for a few years, I've finally decided to get some proper lessons and sort myself out! I also figured I should stop lurking around here and register properly.

Steve

1 - 20 of 245 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.