Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOTW new member introductions, 2011 April - August

139K views 388 replies 369 participants last post by  adwilli 
#1 ·
Welcome all new members to SOTW Forum.
A few words of introducing yourself here, please.

#2 ·
Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2011 April -

Looks like i'm first for this round. :)
Hi everyone, I'm Sarah, from Perth, Australia. I'm looking for my first sax (leaning towards tenor). I played clarinet through primary and high school, because saxophone was never an option, but now I can afford my own instrument, it is time.
Anyway, looking forward to learning a lot from all you knowledgeable people and being part of the community.
Cheers!

#3 ·

hi, im riley and have been playing alto since seventh grade then made the move to bari. ever since then i have been an addict and cant get enough sax. i am happy to be a member of this really cool site i have been looking up info in for two years!

#4 ·

Hello,

I'm picking up the alto again after about 25 +/- years and getting back into jazz. I've kept up with music mainly playing fretted instruments by ear so I'm not totally relearning everything. It is actually pretty amazing how much I've retained. My reading is pretty good and my tone is actually better than ever.

I still have my YAS-62 that I bought new in 79-80 and the Meyer 5m that came with it. Also have been using a 25 year old box of Hemkes that have a couple that sound pretty nice. I'm now looking for my preference in the current offering of reeds, I doubt that today's Hemkes are the same creature that they were in the early 80's.

Looking forward to getting reacquainted with an old friend.

#6 ·

Hello,
I am both a musician and an engineer. I have been playing the saxophone for more than 20 years, mainly alto and tenor but also soprano and baritone. I played a bit of bass too.

I have been interested in repairing, modifying and understanding my instruments for a long time and decided to study mechanical engineering and acoustics to understand better wind instruments and saxophones. I continued at the master level and I finished last year a PhD in music technology at McGill University in Montreal under the supervision of Gary Scavone.

I am continuing my research in this field as a postdoc student now. I am very passionate about music instruments and I hope my expertise can be helpful in answering questions in this forum! I am also very much interested in learning from the experience of other musicians.

One of my long term goal is to design and commercialize woodwind instruments. Currently, I am getting ready to commercialize a carbon fiber alto saxophone neck... after a few years of making prototypes and learning from my mistakes. The tenor version is under development. I have also been making and refacing mouthpieces for myself, adding extra keys on existing instruments, and much more.

Looking forward to share with this community.

#7 ·

Hello All,

I have been reading and studying the SOTW Forum for a long time. What a great source of information and inspirational discussions! I'm now happy to be a part of the community myself. Tenor is my main instrument. I play alto occasionally, but I have found that my place in the sound spectrum is rather low than high, so I might also take part in the baritone discussions.
Cheers!

#8 ·

Hey everyone,
I have been a member on the forums for a little while now and I am greatful for all of the information that many of you have provided. It has been invaluable. I started playing the alto saxophone in jazz band in 10th grade (1994) and have never really put it down. I have played with an orchestra, some small ensembles and a couple community groups throughout my time. Currently I am focusing most of my time and energy playing with the Worship Team where I go to church. I have taken on the challenge of learning how to make the alto sax fit in contemporary Christian music. I have been pretty successful so far, mostly due to a combination of a great worship leader who is very flexible and open minded, and my ability to play by ear and put something down that fits but doesn't distract. I am knee deep in hardcore study of jazz and blues as I am weak in those areas. All in all, I am looking to take it from an intermediate level to a professional level. Thanks again for everyone's expertise and willingness to share your talents and abilities. This is a pretty cool community. See you around the threads. :)

#9 ·

Hello All,
I'm a junior in high school and an all-state level player. I've been playing for 8 years now and have become really involved in sax, specifically jazz. I play a healthy mix alto, tenor, bari and soprano when it is called for. I think this is a great forum where players of all levels can come to get (or ask for) information on pretty much anything! I hope everyone stays involved in the forum to keep it strong! Cheers!

#10 ·

Hi everybody,my name is Sergey,
i am New here and i would like to say that this website is very helpful and i just registred now and i am really happy about it

I really want to learn how to play Jazz in tenor sax and i will apreciate it if someone gives me the swing transcripted notes

thank you

(sorry for my English).

#11 ·

Hello, I live in Skegness in the UK and have been playing on and off since 18 when I bought my first sax on trip back from the tax office. Now 46, almost 47 I have decided to get back fully into it, and I must say now back playing every day it's great !, and this site is also great. I've always read it but never joined, so hope to get to know some of you well.
Rgds Paul

#12 ·

Greetings to all Sax Lovers; I'm Paul Keranen. I've been giging since 1963 ,taught band for few years in public schools,and stay as active as I can in our backwoodsy
UP of Michigan. I play alto in a big band, work with a variety of groups/variety of styles on tenor,and ocasionally work with a soprano. Recently I gave into the temptation to put my tenor, a Mark VI I've owned since 1965 on ebay, and was satisfied with the $5k I got for it. After picking up a new alto Ref 54, I was starting to think my love affair with the Mark VI was getting stale. Then chatting with Phil Barone, I was tempted to buy/give a try one of his signature-made in Taiwan tenor horns. Surprise! So far I prefer it to the Mark VI after a year of gigs and wood shedding. I bought one of his necks to use with the Ref 54 which improved upper register intonation for me, and I find the tenor intonation easier to manage. Of course,using his mouthpieces, both HR and the the hand-crafted brass,,I've been delighted with the broad spectrum of tone, too. I always like expeximenting with mouthpiece/reed setups, and am hoping to make use of this site&forum to that end. Currently, I'm looking for a Rovner Deep V tenor piece. I let one go with the Mark VI and loved it. I used a 3 1/2 reed with it and found it free blowing down to the bottom. Thanks!

#15 ·

Hi everyone, I'm Luke an ex trumpeter who moved onto soprano saxophone about one year ago after a friend sold me one for dirt cheap.
Since then Ive bought an alto and started taking lessons, this site and forum has been an invaluable source of information and I'm looking forward to talking with my fellow sax enthusiasts.

#16 ·

Hello good people at SOTW, My name is John and I am from St. Louis, Missouri. I am happy to be registered with SOTW. I am a self taught tenor saxophone player who started late in life, but love playing. I look forward to the help that is available on this site. SOTW people are great.

#17 ·

Hello All, I am Dakota, a young and aspiring Saxophonist from LA. I play any saxophone I can get my hands on, so far that's all the major ones; Alto, Tenor, Bari, and Soprano. I have taken my studies across the world and still I want to know more. I found this site and I am a huge fan of the wealth of knowledge about saxophones and their music that is here on SOTW. This is an intro post but I would also like to thank all who share their experience and make this forum great :)

DM

#18 ·

Hi everybody. I'm Dave and I play the Alto sax (Trevor James, The Revolution, student sax) but it's still good enough for my requirements, based on how much I can practice. I hope to do my Grade 4 exam in November, 2011. Looking at threads on home recording as I've never heard myself play, apart from directing the sound towards a wall. I've just bought a digital keyboard too, to help with my aural exams in the Grade 4. I also use a Vandoren grade 2 reed, with a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece and a Rovner ligature. The Rovner seems to suit me much more than the standard brass ligatures.

PS. From UK.

#19 ·

Hi,
I am a "late-bloomer" and have gone from a beginner on a Bundy II Alto, to a Venus Soprano, to finally arrive to a beginner on a YTS-23 Tenor.
I have been lurking on the forum for a long time and I have learned quite a bit over the past months from SOTW!
Flava

#20 ·

My name is Mark, and I'm a junior high band teacher in several private and public schools on the South Side of Chicago. As an undergraduate student at Colorado State (music ed, class of '98) I gigged on both alto and tenor in local jazz and funky fusion bands. I went on to earn a Master's in World Music and Composition at Northern Illinois University (class of 2006). Due to an intense work load, I had to put the sax on the back burner for a few years. Now that I finally have a handle on my band teaching career, I have enough free time to get serious about performing on the sax again. I initially came to sax on the web to read threads about recommended jazz mouthpieces and multiphonics. After discovering much needed excellent advice, I joined without hesitation. I only wish I'd discovered SOTW many years ago.

#21 ·

I enjoy pizza. I mean, pizza is REALLY FREAKING GOOD. You don't want to get into an argument with me about this. It's a fact; pizza rocks the house, the van, the double-wide, and the tractor. It even rocks the moped. It does not rock the unicycle.

BURRITOS rock the unicycle!

#22 ·

I enjoy pizza. I mean, pizza is REALLY FREAKING GOOD. You don't want to get into an argument with me about this. It's a fact; pizza rocks the house, the van, the double-wide, and the tractor. It even rocks the moped. It does not rock the unicycle.

BURRITOS rock the unicycle!
jodaboda,
I have to agree on all acounts, accept that you need to be more specific about the type of burrito. Everyone knows that the only burrito that can rock the unicycle is the spicy bean and cheese crunch burrito, which has those tasty little crunchy chips in the middle to give it said crunchiness. No other burrito can handle the unicycle awesomeness. Let's be realistic here.

#23 ·

Helloooo, sax lovers. I´m Arne Hammer, and is a Norwegian amateur saxplayer. I play Alto sax in a local bigband, and i lead sax player (Tenor and Alto) in the band: The Funkaholics. For starters, I´m gonna be reading the forum to learn more about international saxaholics like I am, and make friends. And ask advice about anything. Now i´m looking for music sheets on Tower of Powers version of "You met your match" Anybody got that? For whole horn sections (Tenor/Barry/Trumpets/Bones)

#25 ·

Hi, my name is Davi, I'm from Brazil and I love to play my tenor. I've been studying saxophone since 1997, but I'm not a professional musician. Sorry by my english, I don't speak much and don't write well, but I will try to communicate to the community because I loved this forum since I accessed this for the first time few weeks ago. I'm here to learn!

#26 ·

Hello all, I've been playing the alto for about six months. I've been reading these forums but haven't posted anything yet! I'm sort of a "late bloomer" too. I've been playing guitar for about 17 years but always wanted to learn a woodwind.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)

Hello,
My name is Jim. I tried to learn to play at a very late age. That fact together with my total tone deafness made my goal unachievable, at least to the level to which I aspired. It turns out that I was much better at triathlon, so I now devote my available practice time to swimming, biking and running. I am left with 3 horns that I need to sell. I could use some advice. This is what I have:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx edited / see admin note below xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (kcp)

None of these horns has been touched in about 5 years.

#28 ·
Admin Note

Hello,
My name is Jim. I tried to learn to play at a very late age. That fact together with my total tone deafness made my goal unachievable, at least to the level to which I aspired. It turns out that I was much better at triathlon, so I now devote my available practice time to swimming, biking and running. I am left with 3 horns that I need to sell. I could use some advice. This is what I have: .....
Hi Jim, sorry to hear this.

This is the new member introduction thread. The correct place to post your horns for sale is in the Marketplace area under horns and equipment wanted & for sale - Make sure to choose the correct sub-forum (saxophones and horns for sale respectively) and please read our Marketplace Rules and Regulations before submitting your ad - To be noted that newly joined members do not have access to Private Messaging.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.