Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post your takes and comments here for this month's tune -Well You Needn't

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,963 Posts
Ah this hasn't seen much activity. Well for a start I've decided to compile a list of links to the things that have been contributed:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ried-Bananas&p=1373230&viewfull=1#post1373230

http://ralphpatt.com/Backing.html

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ried-Bananas&p=1370655&viewfull=1#post1370655

I think thats a good start for the month. And I hope we can get some good discussion about how to approach the improv. I took a look at it, and I think it may take a while to string some things together going from G7 to Ab7 (concert pitch).

Tomorrow I will jump into this tune head on, and I really hope I don't get hurt.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
If I can get the backing track to work for me I will do a recording of this.

·
TOTM administrator
5,963 Posts
If I can get the backing track to work for me I will do a recording of this.
There are multiple options for a backing already, so I hope this helps in my post above ;).

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think thats a good start for the month. And I hope we can get some good discussion about how to approach the improv. I took a look at it, and I think it may take a while to string some things together going from G7 to Ab7 (concert pitch).
I'm thinking the same thing. But, I note that the vanilla book changes start with F7 Gb7 whereas the trellis changes, which I think are usually better, start with F6 Gb6, and the score linked starts with F Gb - so the question is .... which is best? And, if it's the 6th chords ... are there any 'angles' for playing 6th chords ? (E.g. play as Maj7th's, play minor pentatonic off the 6th, minor pentatonic off the 3rd ?????)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
I was going to do a take of this tune then I thought "Well, you needn't",.so I won't

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,093 Posts
The challenge of this tune is to sound melodic and flowing. The half step chord movement makes it so tempting to fall into just outlining the triads with simple cliches and repeating yourself over and over. I just had a flashback to college when we played a big band chart of a Monk tune and I had an alto solo. I think it was called "Brilliant Corners". I was so frustrated on that solo because it was so hard for me to sound good on it. I still have that concert on cassette somewhere....................

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxophonist Extraordinai
261 Posts
OK...I'll go first. This has always been a "jam session" tune for me. I've never really worked out on the tune, but after attempting to record it a "few" times just trying to get something to post I've come to realize that I definitely have taken this one for granted. So here you go warts and all...

"Well You Needn't" on Alto

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
OK...I'll go first. This has always been a "jam session" tune for me. I've never really work out on the tune, but after attempting to record it a "few" times just trying to get something to post I've come to realized that I definitely have taken this one for granted. So here you go warts and all...

I'd be happy to have such nice warts.
Very, very nice work, Charles. I seem to hear a bit of Phil Woods influence in there...and it may be my imagination, but I also detect some significant Benny Carter influence...particularly in some of your triplet figures and Carter's classic "straight 8ths" feel at times. Am I wrong about that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
OK...I'll go first. This has always been a "jam session" tune for me. I've never really worked out on the tune, but after attempting to record it a "few" times just trying to get something to post I've come to realize that I definitely have taken this one for granted. So here you go warts and all...

Beautiful Charles!

·
4,881 Posts

Dude, who the hell are you? That is just bad as hell!!! Really!

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Hadn't actually heard this tune before this thread. My, what a difficult tune it is too, especially for singers to sing. It's great to try new songs though, it really stretches you doing this SOTW I guess. Might try and have a go. Looking at youtube, many of those singers are really straining to get those jumps correctly. I really liked the Jamie Cullum version here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOGyiNGptIQ

Very nice chayjazz by the way. Set the bar pretty high on a very difficult song. Listening to the lyrics it sounds an angry/ angsty song. The singer is obviously pi**ed really about the fact that it's over IMO:

You're talkin' so sweet well you needn't
You say you won't cheat well you needn't
You're tappin' your feet well you needn't
It's over now, it's over now

You're dressin' with class well you needn't
You're holdin' your sass well you needn't
You think you're a gas well you needn't

You've had your fun, so take a bow
You oughta know, you lost the glow, the beat is slow, the shadows grow,
the lights are low, it's time to go, let's close the show down

(Oh) You're taking off weight well you needn't
You're looking just great well you needn't
You're settin' the bait well you needn't

·
4,881 Posts

·
TOTM administrator
5,963 Posts
Great work Charles! Man thats some seriously good stuff in there.

How quick is your backing? It seems a bit faster than mine, at 170. You sure tore it up, digging some of your ideas in there! I might even try to transcribe some to see whats going on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxophonist Extraordinai
261 Posts
Thanks for the compliments folks. Yes "cooljazz" Phil Woods was my first real influence but through the yrs I've tried to steal stuff from all the greats...smile. "jmoem3" I'm using the Aebersold "Thelonious Monk" play-a-long and I think the tempo is around 220 bpm or so. It was funny, I've played this tune for yrs and never really though about it much but when I was recording one to post I started to get self-conscious about my playing knowing that you SOTW cats would be checkin' it out. I kept trying to record a perfect take and it just wasn't happening. I finally just said "forget it and just play what you would normally play on the tune, it's to late to try and be all hip now"...LOL But I do plan to come back later this month and record another take after I've had the tune in my head for a couple of weeks.

I'm looking forward to hearing you guys play over these changes and hear what you come up with. I guess I agree with Steve Neff in that when I play this tune or a tune with these type of changes I do a lot of cliched change running ideas, I gotta learn to break away from that . I don't mind doing it but it can get monotonous after a few choruses.

So come on folks and get to posting....

Charles McNeal

·
TOTM administrator
5,963 Posts
Charles, you'll definitely be getting a recording from me earlier. My ears can hear the changes on this tune a lot better than on Fried bananas. I've been going over a lot of things to do, and hopefully by at least the end of the week I'll have something postable. I'm going to try and hit this one the entire month, and make a recording once each week, and see how much better each one gets.

1 - 20 of 329 Posts