Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called by phannah... This thread is for member recordings, comments and critique on the January 2010 TOTM - Barbara.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Started working this one. Nice tune, but deceiving. I listened to the recording posted, and I checked allmusic for other versions -- it seems very under recorded among HS tunes. Sadly, his version is with what, to my mind, is one of his weakest bands. I do recommend checking out Ted Nash's cover. Quite nice.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
At least the head is easy.:)

I find myself thinking of it in a slow 4 rather than 6/4. Kind of a slow shuffle, rather than a jazz waltz. I can see that bar 5 of the 2nd ending (F#m7 B7) is gonna trip me up.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes, first post again! tee hee hee.

www.myspace.com/jaminshanti

This song is tough, all thouse sixes and nines and fourths in the melody to stay in tune. Pardon the background. I used BIAB to make a Jazz Waltz.

Feedback welcome.

·
Registered
818 Posts
At least the head is easy.:)

I find myself thinking of it in a slow 4 rather than 6/4. Kind of a slow shuffle, rather than a jazz waltz. I can see that bar 5 of the 2nd ending (F#m7 B7) is gonna trip me up.
I think your right Hak... it can really move along like a shuffle... I just got a backing track so I'll be working on mine and should post soon.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,463 Posts
WOW phannah. That was superb. I loved it and I think your version will help me a lot when trying to figure out the tune (hated the sound on that Horace Silver version). I just need to get a background track for myself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,241 Posts
Alright. seein's how I called this bloody tune. I should post sooner rather that later.
This tune wasn't too easy. The head is a lot easier than Ceora but the changes are hard to keep a flow going. Anyway, here's my submission:

http://www.soundclick.com/paulhannah
Beautiful take Paul, cut the album man i'll buy one. sound,control, ideas, chops,feel, its all there ...............great playing man

·
Registered
955 Posts
Paul.. that was extremely well done.. great command of the horn, beautiful sound all over every register... thoroughly enjoyed it... not sure why I'd want to post anything after that take!!!

but I gonna throw this junk into the fire anyway..

madgrocer_barbara.mp3

·
Registered
818 Posts
Paul.. that was extremely well done.. great command of the horn, beautiful sound all over every register... thoroughly enjoyed it... not sure why I'd want to post anything after that take!!!

but I gonna throw this junk into the fire anyway..

madgrocer_barbara.mp3
Hey Thanks guys, I wanted to represent since I called the tune. i busted out my recording gear to aid in the presentation. I too was surprised how good the quality of the recording came out. This process really help you get your sh*t together in a lot of different aspects... the tape don't lie.

madgrocer.. Good take. I hear the first two changes as either diminished or Maj/Minor kinda sound, I guess you can use Alt scale too. I didn't really hear that on your take. sound like your were playing dominant 7 type stuff. just a constructive criticism for future ref.

Looking forward to other versions.....

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Alright. seein's how I called this bloody tune. I should post sooner rather that later.
This tune wasn't too easy. The head is a lot easier than Ceora but the changes are hard to keep a flow going. Anyway, here's my submission:

Uh, yeah, I will just keep my feeble playing out of it... I liked the [clears throat] at the end. Classic.

Seriously , where's the thread for 'B' players. I thought I was listening to Eric Alexander.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts

Uh, yeah, I will just keep my feeble playing out of it... I liked the [clears throat] at the end. Classic.

Seriously , where's the thread for 'B' players. I thought I was listening to Eric Alexander.
Yeah, no doubt! But, no worries - I'll post a take soon that will have you feeling *GREAT* about yourself, and redistribute the bell curve accordingly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts

Seriously good take! Yikes!
Great job Phannah.
I never heard this tune before and the way you play it I'll catch you all :shock:next month
Hey Really people, the idea here is to take part.
I definitley don't want to keep you guys from posting. I was just trying to post the best take I could muster.
Believe it or not, this process will really help your playing, it has mine.
The more you stick your neck out, the better it feels when you get it chopped off :)
Believe me, I've had 30 years of getting my neck chopped off!

·
Registered
592 Posts
madgrocer.. Good take. I hear the first two changes as either diminished or Maj/Minor kinda sound,
PH, could you elucidate this a bit? The more detail the better.

Also, the first chord for tenor is C7(b5 b9), so what I'm hearing (as I jam over BinaB) is f# a# c# e ..... that is, I'm hearing a f#7 chord with a c in the bass .... and this leads me to playing f# dominant licks .... which sound ok but aren't gettin it .....

1 - 20 of 274 Posts