Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's been a bit of a boo-boo (in Saxismyaxe's words) here. Mike went to delete a spam post in the thread and accidentally deleted the entire TOTM thread. Here's what Mike posted in the Index thread about this.

Saxismyaxe said:
Membership,

I've made a major boo boo. While attempting to remove a spammer's post within this thread, it appears that I have deleted the entire FRIED BANANAS thread. The new vBulletin screens for this process are a bit different than previous examples, and I goofed up the procedure.

If members find they have been mysteriously banned right along with the spammer, please contact me at Saxismyaxe at gmail dot com and I will correct your account.

I apologize for this inconvenience.
Of course the index thread is still up, and luckily I updated it last night, so it should be up to date.

Sorry about this guys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Bummer - there was some really good coaching in the thread on how to approach the song from some of the really good players. Best example of the "spirit" of the TOTM thread to date, and a shining example of how SOTW can benefit players. I don't blame Mike, though, I blame the spammers. Oh well, we'll just have to do even better next month!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,241 Posts
Bummer - there was some really good coaching in the thread on how to approach the song from some of the really good players. Best example of the "spirit" of the TOTM thread to date, and a shining example of how SOTW can benefit players. I don't blame Mike, though, I blame the spammers. Oh well, we'll just have to do even better next month!
+1 to that Pete. i hope Charles will repost that Dexter transcription its great and i did'nt see it on his site.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,963 Posts
Well thanks to everyone for all of their comments and all of this great playing thats been up. Should we hold a funeral for the thread? lol :)

·
4,241 Posts
What a shame about the thread- although I had heard some great playing from Phannah, Mike, Rufus, Charles, Superaction and others. I had been on the road a bit but wanted to throw my hat in the ring. I am completely lame with Garageband but
here it is, one take, sloppy and all:http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8788997
Hey Jeff, thats some fine Playin' man, you got a great sound and a ton of chops, exellent take ,welcome aboard

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
Thanks for the listen, appreciate it. I was surprised when I looked today and saw the whole thread discussion gone , but still glad I took the time to do the tune.
Dex was my first sax-giant hero and I'll never forget seeing him at the Vanguard back in 1967. Unreal!

·
Administrator
13,995 Posts
A stinking shame. Of all the threads to go puff, it had to be the most productive one on the board right now.

I know what happened too, I was tired (it was early in the morning), and in a rush to finish up I accidentally checked thread instead of post when deleting the spam and the spammer.

It's never happened to me in years of doing this, and hopefully won't happen again. I'm not sure if Harri has a copy located in the backup files or not, or how difficult that would be to retrieve.

I apologize for the disappointment it has caused. Unfortunately these things happen.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
A stinking shame. Of all the threads to go puff, it had to be the most productive one on the board right now.

I know what happened too, I was tired (it was early in the morning), and in a rush to finish up I accidentally checked thread instead of post when deleting the spam and the spammer.

It's never happened to me in years of doing this, and hopefully won't happen again. I'm not sure if Harri has a copy located in the backup files or not, or how difficult that would be to retrieve.

I apologize for the disappointment it has caused. Unfortunately these things happen.
It's OK Mike. The only people who don't make mistakes are those that don't do anything.

·
4,241 Posts

Mike ,Stuff happens man. and you did zap another spammer.................. You thought about throwin' in a take? we still got a week left on this tune.............

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
By the way, I neglected to thank Frank again for the index thread - not only is it convenient to have when listening to takes, it's proven to be extra-useful in this particular case, as it would have been a REAL pain had you not done it! Thanks man!

·
Registered
818 Posts
What a shame about the thread- although I had heard some great playing from Phannah, Mike, Rufus, Charles, Superaction and others. I had been on the road a bit but wanted to throw my hat in the ring. I am completely lame with Garageband but
here it is, one take, sloppy and all:http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8788997
Man Jeff... That's what I'm talkin' about!!! That is the s%#@... In the Great spirit of Dexter...Great playing man. that is a solo to check out folks!!... off to listen to it again! -PH

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxophonist Extraordinai
261 Posts
Ahh man...Last night I finally had some time to listen to some other post and the "SOTM" post was deleted and locked. I'm so glad it's been revived because this is the most posting I've ever done on "saxontheweb.net" and it's been fun. I may be repeating some stuff I already said so just bear with me.

Mike Cesati Nice relaxed feel, that's exactly what I'm working on at this stage of my Tenor playing. Sounding good man. I would say that if you're gonna take a lot of choruses over a tune try to make each chorus as interesting as the one before it. I felt you kinda lost interest near the end of the track but then can back with some very cool ideas on that last chorus leading into the tag. It's hard for me to play for a long time with a pre-recorded track because there's no interaction with the rhythm section (ie. that's why I only take about 3 or 4 choruses). I need that give and take to inspire me to reach for other things. You sound good, you should start getting into substitutions over some of the ii-V7's on this tune.

hdgiles I think in a post in the earlier thread you had mentioned that this take may have been to slow. When I was young I remember a wonderful bass player (Paul Warburton) telling me "any tune can be played at any tempo in any style as long as its played well." You sound good at this tempo, if I were you I'd try to lock into the tempo and feel a little more. There's a special thing that happens when you lock into the "energy" of the band performance (I know this sounds all spiritual an such but stick with me). It can't be taught it's something you learn from listening and playing in live situations a lot. It's what makes a performance sound like everybody's on the same page or in the same groove. I felt that you were definitely there when you started your solo but then you got away from it as the solo went on. It's a hard thing to do with a pre-recorded track because it 100% on YOU, the rhythm section isn't gonna meet you half way. But in your career you're gonna have to over-dub to a lot to pre-recorded tracks and the secret of being successful at it is having the ability to get into that "energy" or "space" quickly. So don't trip over the tempo, groove, or feel of a track, instead work on making your thang fit into it!!!

bayviewsax Yeah man, way to go!!! Good sound and feel, now it's time to get into those chord changes a little more. Great job of coming back and hinting at the melody a couple of times in your solo. Isolate the sections of the tune that are difficult and work out some ideas over those sections.

Rufusax 100 points for having your own original sound!!! No real critique just a little "nitpicking" Again I would say try and find that same "energy" that the rhythm section is playing with so that it all sounds like a"band of one." Some great quotes also. "A Slow boat To China" is way cool, hope you don't mind but I'm gonna steal that from you the next time I play this tune live.

hakukani Don't clip those eighth notes. Try to play a melody with the same phrasing that you use when you're soloing. Again, check out the changes a little more. Some good ideas in your solo statement work on extending those ideas. When something in your solo inspires you try to build off of it. Nice relaxed feel you got going there. That's very important to me. I don't like it so much when it seems as though cats are trying to force some kind of energy into their performance when it doesn't need to be there.

Radjammin Some interesting changes there, but it's cool with me. Good sound but work on controlling your vibrato a little bit more, especially in the higher end of the horn. On a couple of notes it seemed like it wasn't intentional but due to lack of support of the note it crept in. Also try and use simple chord outlines to really spell out those changes. There's nothing wrong with just staring a line with a simple 1-3-5 chord tone idea. Everyone from Louis Amrstrong to Chris Potter has use those kind of outlines as a way to play the changes. Sounding good, keep doing what you're doing now it time to take your playing to the next level.

Ken The Bari sounds good. 1 comment on your backing track, don't use that crash cymbal so much, it can be so heavy that it overpowers everything else. If you like the crash try a smaller sounding one, but do understand that bebop playing doesn't have an overabundance of cymbal crashes in the performance. A lot more nuance is done with the ride cymbal and hi-hat. Now back to the Bari. Good playing over the changes, time to start using more advanced note choices. Good swing feel to your 8th notes also, if you feel comfortable start working in some double-time runs. Great control over your sound also...keep swinging my friend!!!

TenorHack I like this tempo, on the melody try and be a little more relaxed with those eighth notes. I could hear you getting more comfortable with the track as the tune went on. So how about starting with the same energy you ended with. Here's an idea. Record 2 performances back to back. Have the backing track just set to repeat, start the melody right away and don't give yourself enough time to think about how you're going to play the melody or solo over the tune. Just keep going at the same level you ended the preceding track with. I really like what you eventually got into on that recording, it just needed to be more of that energy from start to finished.

Rennie Yeah Rennie, good job. Again work on those chord changes. Also I could hear you putting a little more time into playing in the pocket of the track. There were times you were right in there, even with the double time stuff but in a few places you seemed to rush your eighth notes a bit. Some nice advanced things going on in your solo with phrasing and note choices but when you were playing simpler ideas I would've liked to hear you outline the changes more. You're on your way to becoming a wonderful player...it's sounding good but don't ever neglect your basics.

Cooljazz The Soprano is sounding good. Great intonation and time feel also. All I would have liked to hear a little more chromaticism though. You were definitely making all the changes but I could have use a few more chromatic approach tones and enclosures. I loved the harmony you used on certain parts of the melody. Also something I could hear more of is 4 and 8 bar phrasing where you don't make any major adjustments when you get to a new chord. I need to work on that aspect of playing also. Just naturally go from chord to chord. No accent on the downbeat no leap to a stronger chord tonejust let the 8th note idea flow for 4 to 8 bars. You played some great melodic ideas through out the solo...you're a bad man!!! :)

superaction2 Wonderful playing, I wish I would take more liberties when I'm play the melody of a "bebop" tune. I tend to play the melody pretty straight if it's not a standard from the american songbook. Good strong sound throughout the full range of the horn also. Would love to hear you play a few choruses of these changes without the backing track just to hear where else your ideas would take you when your not tied to following the energy (OK I won't use this word again) of the rhythm section. Wonderful playing man....

jmoen3 Good for you for playing the entire track and not getting lost in the changes. Now work on getting 1 really good chorus. Or play a chorus or 2 and restrict yourself to just playing quarter notes or 8th notes maybe even triplets. It's time to start narrowing in on the problem or difficult areas of your playing (but don't forget to just have fun sometimes!!!). I can hear the joy in your playing, always keep that joy!!!...but now it's time to buckle down and take your playing to the next level also.

Jeff Gordon You sound wonderful Jeff. What was the name of the song "quote" you used to start your solo? I know the name but it's not coming to me. Again like I said to "superaction2" I would love to hear you play a few choruses without the backing track just to hear some of the other places you would go without being tied down to following a backing track. Great manipulation of the time also. Playing behind the beat sometimes is another thing I need to work on, I tend to play a little ahead of the beat if I'm not aware of my own time feel or not consciously in the moment and directing the direction of my solo (does that make any sense?). You play your butt off I enjoyed listening to you.

OK I think that's everybody...whooo

It was fun listening to all of your takes on this classic Dexter tune. I learn just as much from listening to all of you as would from getting critics and comments about my own playing.

I do have the transcription of Dexter playng this tune at the Montreux festival with Junior Mance, you can see the performance HERE on youTube. If you want a PDF copy of the solo either PM me with your email address or email me at [email protected].

Keep swingin' folks...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
...1 comment on your backing track...
Actually, it wasn't a backing track, although I can see how one may have thought it was, since apart from sax and bass all the other instruments (drums, piano, wind synth) were electric :). I agree, I had the same impression about those symbol crashes.

Thanks for listening and commenting on all those tracks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxophonist Extraordinai
261 Posts
My bad Ken...I didn't hear any changes in the dynamics of the drum kit so I automatically jumped to the conclusion that it was a pre-programmed track. I can say that the tempo didn't waiver and there's definitely something to be said about that. And I'll say it again, your Bari playing sounds good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Well, what a shocking weekend... Yesterday morning I woke up and we lost our cabinet. Today I wake up and we lost our thread! Thanks ever so much of making the index, Fballatore! And, Saxismyaxe, of course a glitch is always around the corner, especially with maintenance work - god knows how many times I have deleted or overwritten files. No reason to beat yourself up over it.

Chayjazz, thanks for your extensive critisism! I agree about the timing 100%, it's something I am working on because it is something i really have to get rid of. Later on in the track it went better I think.

Reine

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,963 Posts
Thanks for all the great review Chayjazz. I really like your idea here, and I think I do need to stop and take the time and break things down. It'll really help me in the long run. I'll see what I can do before the week is up.

Jeff, killin sound. You're playing is smooth and clean, something I hope to get someday in my playing. Hope to hear you in our future TOTMs!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
I want to thank everyone that listened and commented, and for the beautiful, supportive energy that has become a trademark of the SOTW TOTM thread.

Charles- what a thoughtful commentary on everyones contribution. Wonderful analysis.
I think you missed Phannah, but the guy is a 1st class MOFO, and anyone that checks out the tracks I’m sure agrees.

The tune I quoted was Slow Boat to China, lifted right outta LTD’s bag. So perceptive too on how the backing track can force you in a direction you might not want to go, but what are you going to do-LOL.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts