Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 298 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for member recordings, comments and critique on the December 2009 TOTM, Ceora.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Working on this on alto. Has anyone tried this? Is the trill in the eighth measure a half or whole step? I can't tell from the recording.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Working on this on alto. Has anyone tried this? Is the trill in the eighth measure a half or whole step? I can't tell from the recording.
Half step. The melody there is a diminished scale. G# to A for alto. #11 to 5.
Nope I'm talking about the first 1 and a half beats, not the 'turn'. That would be an f to f#, (#9 to M3) followed by an Eb. Not easy.. F to g would be much easier

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Nope I'm talking about the first 1 and a half beats, not the 'turn'. That would be an f to f#, (#9 to M3) followed by an Eb. Not easy.. F to g would be much easier
I checked the Morgan recording and Joey Defrancesco version. Whole step on both.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I checked the Morgan recording and Joey Defrancesco version. Whole step on both.
That's what I thought I was hearing, but Jamey has a tr b in his book. Whew! I could 'almost' do it with alt F, but MAN it's a finger buster.

·
4,023 Posts
Is there a good, redistributable backing track out there? If not, I'll post my backing for others. It won't be great (I start with what BIAB spits out and play with it in Cakewalk), but I think you'll get more entries if there is a baseline backing track everyone can use.

·
4,241 Posts
Is there a good, redistributable backing track out there? If not, I'll post my backing for others. It won't be great (I start with what BIAB spits out and play with it in Cakewalk), but I think you'll get more entries if there is a baseline backing track everyone can use.
SOTW December 2009 Tune of the Month - Ceora ...................... if anyone needs the backing track it's here. http://www.box.net/shared/l6pu2t4i1o

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
SOTW December 2009 Tune of the Month - Ceora ...................... if anyone needs the backing track it's here. http://www.box.net/shared/l6pu2t4i1o
Trillll.... I'm just trying to figure out how to play the dang thing.. mercy.

·
2,144 Posts
I really don't think the trill is an essential part of the tune. It's nice...but the tune doesn't suffer terribly without it. I've certainly heard numerous versions without the trill. It's even likely that the trill was an after-the-fact embellishment that ended up becoming part of the tune. I've found two versions in the Real Book. The original Real Book doesn't have the trill written in. The "New" Real Book does. The two books also use slightly different chords.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks Rufusax. Nice backing track. Now to find the notes:)

·
Registered
860 Posts
I really don't think the trill is an essential part of the tune. It's nice...but the tune doesn't suffer terribly without it. I've certainly heard numerous versions without the trill. It's even likely that the trill was an after-the-fact embellishment that ended up becoming part of the tune. I've found two versions in the Real Book. The original Real Book doesn't have the trill written in. The "New" Real Book does. The two books also use slightly different chords.
For Bb, the 6th edition is much easier to read then the 5th volume I. I go so fed up reading the 5th volume I, I got my 6th edition volume I and alot easier.

The C version is quite hard with 4 flats. But heck, when is practicing in Ab a bad thing.

Alto is by far the easier version to read, in F.

·
4,023 Posts
I hadn't yet seen the reply so I assembled a backing track also. This one runs parallel to the Lee Morgan recording -- one chorus of piano, the head, two choruses of solo, and the out chorus with tag. There is no count-off because the entire first chorus is piano.

As a MIDI file
As an MP3 file

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Yeah,thanks Rufus, very nice indeed.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Hakukani! I enjoyed that!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Bravo hak!
I also enjoyed your playing ,good job.

I love Gary Bartz on the Joey DeFrancesco version.

1 - 20 of 298 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.