Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the new Safari on my Snow Leopard iMac.
It has a Privacy area in the System Preferences that lets you look at the cookies and delete them.
I tried removing them all then logging into my forums.
I noticed after logging into SOTW a whole bunch of unrelated cookies showed up.

How many cookies should be downloaded from SOTW?

btw
a search for cookies in the title led to no threads.

·
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My latest test;
1)using the latest Safari 5.1 I removed all the cookies then quit.
2) Opened Safari with Apple default page and the first cookie was of course Apple.com
3) mzstatic.com quickly showed up fallowed by domaintools.com without me doing anything.
4) I went to the forums and signed in which prompted edgekey.net to download.
somehow google got in there too. I think from just clicking on the google box in the top rh corner.

While I was posting the above notes in the Apple forums the SOTW cookie showed up for no apparent reason.??

When I went to my bookmarks and opened SOTW about 20 cookies appeared. Many of them seemed to have nothing to do with SOTW.
Of course I had to sign in and a few more cookies showed up.

Interestingly it's very difficult to record the cookies. I can't C&P or print the list and the window is not expandable to get one big screenshot.
There are a lot of recognizable names like Google, Amazon eBay , but also some odd ones like viglink, ytimg,smpgfx,sitemeter,gstatic,fbcdn,doubleclick,cafepress,bandcamp and facebook which I never go near.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I think you should PM Harri. If anyone knows about this, it's got to be him because it's his forum.

·
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you should PM Harri. If anyone knows about this, it's got to be him because it's his forum.
Not sure why you'd want to PM about it?
I'm sure Harri can enlighten us but it's a public matter and many SOTW members are savvy to internet security and I'm hoping can give some insight into the process.

btw
I deleted all cookies after coming to the site then logged on and besides SOTW.net(cache,cookies,local storage) showing up googleapis.com(cache) gstatic.com(cache) and google.com(cache,cookies,localstorage)

after note;
it also appears that using emoticons downloads cookies.
After this posting I noticed emoticonzone,forumforfree,freesmileys and myemoticons.com

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
it also appears that using emoticons downloads cookies.
After this posting I noticed emoticonzone,forumforfree,freesmileys and myemoticons.com
This makes sense, many of the displayed emoticons you see in the emoticon browser are hosted on other sites. There are also the ads, the sharing buttons etc. many many things which can download cookies.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Not sure why you'd want to PM about it?
I'm sure Harri can enlighten us but it's a public matter and many SOTW members are savvy to internet security and I'm hoping can give some insight into the process.[/I]
I meant that you might want to alert or notify Harri. Since I doubt he reads each and every thread, my understanding is that the best way to do that is by sending a PM, either to him or someone on the Mod Squad. It wasn't meant to imply that this is a private issue, just that that seems to be the fastest way to get their attention on something related to the bulletin board program.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,786 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. From what I understand cookies are just bits of info written as text. For example your username would be remembered by a cookie. Instead of typing it In each time, it is stored on your computer as a cookie. When you come to the site it looks for that cookie to log you in. All those other cookies are just other bits of info from programs connected to the SOTW website. I'm sure there all sorts of google tracking programs that track statistics for users. Cookies aren't viruses. They won't crash your computer or get your personal info. This was explained to me by a computer friend of mine years ago. If I'm wrong let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,876 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it.
Just set your browser to block all cookies unless you specifically allow them.
Good advice here.

If you don't want cookies, block them. It may mean you have to log in each time you visit, and you don't get to see which threads you've already read, but I don't think this is an issue at all. It's how websites work these days.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
There are cookies that recognize you when you enter a sight and make things a little more convenient, and then there are "tracking cookies" whose purpose is to track the sites you visit. Their purpose is to inundate you with advertising based on what is construed as your interests and, as you can imagine, any other purpose that would be enhanced by knowing where you go in cyberspace. They can also slow down your computer. My security software scans for and deletes tracking cookies, along with malware, adware and viruses. I have McAfee. but I'm sure there are others that will do the same thing. I've had as many as 20 tracking cookies after being on the computer long enough to visit only SOTW, Ebay, and maybe one or two sites, 30 minutes, tops.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,964 Posts
Blocking all cookies by default can cause problems on some websites.
That's why there's the option to allow only certain sites that you approve of, and block all others.

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. From what I understand cookies are just bits of info written as text. For example your username would be remembered by a cookie. Instead of typing it In each time, it is stored on your computer as a cookie. When you come to the site it looks for that cookie to log you in. All those other cookies are just other bits of info from programs connected to the SOTW website. I'm sure there all sorts of google tracking programs that track statistics for users. Cookies aren't viruses. They won't crash your computer or get your personal info. This was explained to me by a computer friend of mine years ago. If I'm wrong let me know.
(Bolding mine)

As pointed out, the forum facility as such relies on cookies as everything what is going on internet. These are designed for user convenience.
Over time various functions have been added to the SOTW Forum for purpose of statistics and funding purposes. The above mentioned VigLink is one of them.
That the emoticons add cookies is perhaps unnecessary but does not surprise me.

This is a very brief answer. On other hand I would say like they do in the software industy: It is not a bug, it is a feature.

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
There are a lot of recognizable names like Google, Amazon eBay , but also some odd ones like viglink, ytimg,smpgfx,sitemeter,gstatic,fbcdn,doubleclick,cafepress,bandcamp and facebook which I never go near.
In that case this does not apply to you. But for the rest of us (facebook users):

Logging out of Facebook is not enough
The advice is to log out of Facebook. But logging out of Facebook only de-authorizes your browser from the web application, a number of cookies (including your account number) are still sent along to all requests to facebook.com. Even if you are logged out, Facebook still knows and can track every page you visit. The only solution is to delete every Facebook cookie in your browser, or to use a separate browser for Facebook interactions.
Or someone less paranoid could think that this feature will lead facebook to direct you to topics, apps or people who are relevant to your interest. Who knows?
(For certain web-sites using InPrivate-browsing is recommended though.) :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Should be no fear in allowing the site to access cookies, unless you are strictly budgeting storage space on your device, even then its minimal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts