Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the honour to host both July-TOTM. Thanks to jmoen3 for hosting „out of nowhere“ the last month.
For Beginner/Intermediate I chose „Israel“ from John Carisi. Not that the label B/I means too much – I‘m really not shure which tune is „easier“.

Anyhow, Israel was recorded on „Birth of the cool“ with Miles and the Capitol Orchestra. John Carisi (trumpet) was not member of this band, but I read somewhere that he played with Miles at that time.
Israel is a minor blues with some nice and tricky chord alterations. I like the ascending, mostly chromatic scale A, Bb, B, C, D, Eb, E, F, F#, which is part of the chord progression in the first 7 bars. Also the arpeggio of perfect fourths in bar 9 is very nice and charakteristic. Carisi took lessons with the composer Stefan Wolpe – one can hear the results in Israel. But if you don‘t like to think too much, you should come by with your regular blues approach.
Beside Miles, Mulligan, Evans, Johnson/Winding are really worth a listening for inspiration.
I‘m looking foreword to many nice and interesting tracks. Notes in C, Bb and Eb and some backing tracks can be downloaded here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2cyicc8sbr4hmxx/AAAhEkpNuhZV2sU_OxSeVVPua?dl=0

I don‘t really feel qualified to give helpful comments for some reasons, but I‘ll try and listen to all your tracks of course.

Hear you soon!

·
Premium Member
18,573 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
a quick flute take with the bass-only backing track. Man, this is fun to play with this bass player! Some chorusses too long - as always with backing tracks....
Hope to hear your israels soon!
https://hearthis.at/taragot/israel-bass-flute/

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Welcome to the Brendan and Taragot show ... for our second act we'll feature Brendan playing blues on the soprano (which is basically torment squared).

Israel

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the Brendan and Taragot show ... for our second act we'll feature Brendan playing blues on the soprano
Yes, until now both TOTMs are a bit like "Waiting for Godot": Brendan is Estragon and I'm Wladimir and we're waiting for Godot to join our party with a sax and participate with a new track. But Godot will come, I'm shure!

Nice Israel-Blues, Brendan! Similar approach to mine - lot's of blues scales, but you always manage to hit the major third when the concert D major chord is played.

Now waiting for Godot....

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Check my signature Link to reach my version of Israel..an impromtu jam recorded late 90's..not my greatest effort but you get the idea.:|

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
a quick flute take with the bass-only backing track. Man, this is fun to play with this bass player! https://hearthis.at/taragot/israel-bass-flute/
Yeah yours is so much easier to listen with a real bass player - biab files suck !! :mrgreen:

Cool ... you were really getting into the rhythm during the solo. :bluewink:

Check my signature Link to reach my version of Israel..an impromtu jam recorded late 90's..not my greatest effort but you get the idea.:|

https://app.box.com/v/cashsax/file/416666714
Fantastic live version Cash - love those climbing lines and the trading fours ! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,609 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,609 Posts
Sounds good Cash, nine years ago. Time flys. I like the Bond movings 5 to b6 to 6 that the piano keeps in there. Cool. fun take I used to play this at jam sessions some 25 years ago K

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now the TOTM get's going!

@pobeda: I like your 'no theory' approach, if this means, that you do not overthink harmonics etc. while playing a solo. But you had reflections of the rich chord progressions in your playing (your James Bond quote f.e.) which I like, too. I like your sound a bit better in the impro section - too much note bending for my taste in the head. But overall very well done!

@CashSax: Great playing and a really good sounding recording! Jazz should sound like that!

@Keith:
Man your flute tone is to die for .Nice K
Thank you very much, Keith! Flute is my first instrument (though I don't really practice anymore) and I think the same when I hear you playing the sax, really.

Keep them Israels coming!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, buddy lee - great as always! I like your big, straight tone with with that very slight vibrato sometimes at the end (talking of the head). Very free and open solo approach, sounds really like a duo live recording.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,881 Posts
Yeah, buddy lee - great as always! I like your big, straight tone with with that very slight vibrato sometimes at the end (talking of the head). Very free and open solo approach, sounds really like a duo live recording.
Thank you much!

And I really dug what you did on flute with your take as well. The flute/bass combo can be a really haunting combination...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Love your relaxed rhythm throughout - something I just can't do. :(
Both you and Taragot seem to have no problem cruising along with the bass line.
When I play along with that guy I'm constantly losing my place ... which ruins my already fragile timing. :evil:
Sigh ... well it's probably good practice at least. :bluewink:

Thanks for sharing Jason !

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, did an alto take with that groovy backing track. I did not like it too much first, but this is actually fun to play with - kind of "summer in the city -feel"
https://hearthis.at/taragot/israelalto/4NJ/

Waiting for more tracks to come!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello Madav,
this is really great playing! I especially enjoyed your sense for connecting ideas in the solo and leaving space. Nice sound and really swinging, too.

·
Premium Member
18,573 Posts
Only about five days to go till the end of this month.

*** So we need a new B&I TOTM host for the upcoming month! ***

Please let me know in this thread or through pm if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Wild, man! I had a playlist of some old recordings on shuffle while I was doing some work on the laptop and this tune came on. I was thinking, "I should play that more." On a whim, wound up home alone until later than anticipated. Got the urge to play but couldn't decide on what. Opened up the SOTW forum and here was this thread. That's a zen gift, and you don't question it.

By nature of the limited time, this is a grip-it-and-rip-it one-off take.

ISRAEL (Johnny Carisi)

Will lay ears on the rest later (gotta make while the gittin' is good!)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts