Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm jumping in early for a change, was off today so got together with my friend Alan and did a couple of takes. The soprano one is a bit too long and the balance is not as good so I had to EQ it slightly. I've been listening to the Rollins take at Aix and I notice his 'hello mudda' quote finding its way in here later on. The bass Alan is playing is the one that Henry Grimes played on when he was here in November, and its Henry Grimes on the Aix recording, now if I could only play like Sonny!

thanks for listening and any comments

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1021976

Wisedude- I would echo the comments earlier, good sound and strong start

Ken- very nice fluid playing and good to hear a flute here for a change

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,583 Posts
Some very nice and interesting versions so far.
I especially liked Jon's unaccompanied version. It really swung and the changes were spot on.

I've been trying to get a warmer sound lately so I dug up one of my first mouthpieces (1977 or so). It's an HR Berg 100/1 M . This MP got me in all the #1 wind ensembles in school because every other tenor player was doing the Trane thing.
It wouldn't fit on my Keilwerth neck so I put it on my old Selmer which has a few leaks . I was having a hard time with the low notes. I'm taking it into Lee at Saxworx next week.
My Flip camera went weird on me and didn't give enough light so I had to fool around with the video. The end result is it looks a little like a negative.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=boobsax#p/u/0/_k_DmrNQlgw

·
Registered
536 Posts
Some very nice and interesting versions so far.
I especially liked Jon's unaccompanied version. It really swung and the changes were spot on.

I've been trying to get a warmer sound lately so I dug up one of my first mouthpieces (1977 or so). It's an HR Berg 100/1 M . This MP got me in all the #1 wind ensembles in school because every other tenor player was doing the Trane thing.
It wouldn't fit on my Keilwerth neck so I put it on my old Selmer which has a few leaks . I was having a hard time with the low notes. I'm taking it into Lee at Saxworx next week.
My Flip camera went weird on me and didn't give enough light so I had to fool around with the video. The end result is it looks a little like a negative.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=boobsax#p/u/0/_k_DmrNQlgw
I like this a lot- nice tempo, works well a bit slower

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,388 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
4,241 Posts
I'm jumping in early for a change, was off today so got together with my friend Alan and did a couple of takes. The soprano one is a bit too long and the balance is not as good so I had to EQ it slightly. I've been listening to the Rollins take at Aix and I notice his 'hello mudda' quote finding its way in here later on. The bass Alan is playing is the one that Henry Grimes played on when he was here in November, and its Henry Grimes on the Aix recording, now if I could only play like Sonny!
thanks for listening and any comments
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1021976

Wisedude- I would echo the comments earlier, good sound and strong start

Ken- very nice fluid playing and good to hear a flute here for a change
rolltrane, 2 good ones, ithink i lean more toward the tenor take but you sound good on both. i like your buddys bass playin' too. good job

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011-
1,039 Posts
Well, I got a take done. The Aebersold playalong is a bit too long I think... So it gets a little stale. I'll hopefully have a better one coming but I wanted to start this off!

http://www.bargar.net/halfnelson1.mp3
Wisedude, nice take, cool sound.. what is that piece you play on?.. I really like your vibrato. Good stuff.
The concert B- E7 to Bb- Eb7 and the turn around is the hard part on this tune, I'll try to get up a take too once I have some time...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011-
1,039 Posts
Here's my clip. On Flute, Lady Bird in a Half Nelson. I got this idea after hearing Dexter Gordon's version on Prestige with James Moody. I've also included the wind synth player's solo ( hope he doesn't mind):)

Wisedude, I agree with you about the length of the track, but you started out strongly with some good ideas and a nice sound.

Hope everyone had a good Easter.
Great flute playing...makes me wish I could play flute...I liked the clear triads on the turn around that one pass... dug the Jerry Colker line you used a few times... patterns for jazz, I worked out of that for years.. you guys played the shout too! great! lol

·
Registered
770 Posts

·
1,877 Posts
Spent the last several hours getting about 12 bars of Sonny Rollins playing this from an early Miles Davis blue note . Live at Birdland 1951! terrible sound quality but Real early Rollins .there are 2 cuts of 1/2 Nelson and the track 5 is a great Rollins solo. I'm going to try and get some more of it this week .

Anyone else have this ?

Also on these play-alongs are you guys playing the C# - over the bar 7 which is really C- if it's a ladybird track?? I haven't decided which backing track to use yet. The Tadd Damaron play along I have the track skips

21 - 40 of 183 Posts