Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post your takes and comments here for this month's tune - Half Nelson...

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,191 Posts
Thanks Frank!

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,191 Posts
To agree with tj, very nicely done! I'm amazed that you got this one out that fast! I'm going to have to take longer than with Well You Needn't to get this one workable! The tempo on the aebersold is a little slower than the two parker versions I have, but its still over my head. Anyways Keep up the great work wisedude!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,016 Posts
I couldn't even handle Well You Needn't, and I was the one who called it! I figured I'd try to get a song out on this fast because I skipped my own called tune last month ;)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I couldn't even handle Well You Needn't, and I was the one who called it! I figured I'd try to get a song out on this fast because I skipped my own called tune last month ;)
no pressure here man!!! You called a good tune!! we all l know it better since you called it!!!

·
4,241 Posts
wisedude, i'm with Paul on that one. Well You Need'nt was a great choice and there were a lot of real eye opening posts that came out of it. Thanks man

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Here's my clip. On Flute, Lady Bird in a Half Nelson. I got this idea after hearing Dexter Gordon's version on Prestige with James Moody. I've also included the wind synth player's solo ( hope he doesn't mind):)

Wisedude, I agree with you about the length of the track, but you started out strongly with some good ideas and a nice sound.

Hope everyone had a good Easter.

·
4,241 Posts
Here's my clip. On Flute, Lady Bird in a Half Nelson. I got this idea after hearing Dexter Gordon's version on Prestige with James Moody. I've also included the wind synth player's solo ( hope he doesn't mind):)

Wisedude, I agree with you about the length of the track, but you started out strongly with some good ideas and a nice sound.

Hope everyone had a good Easter.
Ken, Good take man,like the low flute sound, some good ideas too .... is that a regular gig or the same band different club?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. It's a twice a month jam session that I sit in on. It's been going for about 18 months now at a place called Seattle Mobile Expresso. It's next to an old folks home so there's a regular crowd there and it's a nice place to play.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Beautiful tone and playing, so very listenable. My only comment would be your just a tad slower than the beat each time, as if you are not quite on top of the rhythm. If you had a stricter timing it would be perfect!! The Stan Getz version is worth listening to. You'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. It's a twice a month jam session that I sit in on. It's been going for about 18 months now at a place called Seattle Mobile Expresso. It's next to an old folks home so there's a regular crowd there and it's a nice place to play.
I thought you sounded good Ken, nice ideas, nice flow.. great playing.... The rhythm section kinda sucked... the drummer is dropping all kinds of BOMBS!! Sounded like electronic drums..The time was all over the place.. but hey for a sit in, you can't be choosy

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thanks. Actually that is the house rhythm section. Actually one thing they do well is to keep tempo, but I know what you mean.

·
1,016 Posts
wisedude, you have really grabbed that Dexter feel on this one. Sometimes your timing are of almost a 1/8:th note wich is pretty tough to do. Nice feel.
I listened to my recording again and the last half is really rambling and lame... I liked the first half though. Thanks for the compliment

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,078 Posts
I am interest in participating but am in need of the backing track. Could somebody post it here or send it to me [email protected]

Thank you. B:cool:

1 - 20 of 183 Posts