Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if there is a thread on this already, tried to search for one but came up empty.
If there isn’t one already, let’s start a thread of all the ‘sax like’ instruments or downright bizarre saxes that don’t fit in normal sopranino through double contra bass.

I know of the Ammoon type straight barrel half sax/half recorder type things.
I know about the Saxie.
I know about EWIs.

What else is there if someone wanted to start a collection.

If there is already a thread on this please advise and we can delete this one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There are a lot of interesting sax-like objects out there. Saxophone-shaped blow accordions like the Hohner Sax pop up on eBay every now and then, and last I looked there were several listings for the QRS Playasax. There are also the slide saxophones, the Clar-o-Sax, and kazoos ranging from the bakelite Sax-o-Fun to the more sophisticated Zobo and Songophone.

Here's my own collection of sax-shaped things. In the back are a Hohner Sax and a Couesnon Saxie, while in the foreground are a Songophone, a Spike Jones Sax-o-Fun, and a Playasax.

View attachment 247940

Some of these items are easier to find than others. Blow accordions, the Playasax, or even a kazoo would be a relatively inexpensive place for a potential collector to start.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,799 Posts
I have spoken about this weird sax (smaller than a sopranino) long ago, It is incredibly, playable. I bought once one and gave it to a friend. This I found recently on line for sale in the NL.

I think this may have been made in Italy by a company that was making a small clarinet and a sn
mall trumpet too. It may have been Kalison ( which made a very primitive sopranino) click 3 times to expand

View attachment 256658

View attachment 256660

View attachment 256662

·
38,799 Posts
well, the Kalison is a “ proper” saxophone ( though very primitive) this one above is not quite there, but some parts look identical.

Yeas ago ( I live d in Milan then) I visited a photographer friend of mine ( I was a photographer too) and he had in his studio a trumpet a clarinet and a saxophone. The clarinet had a reed and I played it. Can’t remember if they were like tis exactly but I think he told me that he had got them when he did some work I believe for Kalison.

This I think was the trumpet a miniature ( less than 30cm) trumpet

one on the left is the clarinet that I remember playing

·
38,799 Posts
well, I think that these things don’t really have a “ market” and some people may base their expectations on rarity, but rarity, in itself, means nothing without desirability.

A Kalison Sopranino is a “ proper” saxophone but I would never spend good money to buy one.

I’d rather buy an Eppelsheim Soprillo or a Rampone & Cazzani curved sopranino than buying the Kalison, which, at best, was an half baked instrument .

·
Registered
735 Posts
well, the Kalison is a “ proper” saxophone ( though very primitive) this one above is not quite there, but some parts look identical.
Yeas ago ( I live d in Milan then) I visited a photographer friend of mine ( I was a photographer too) and he had in his studio a trumpet a clarinet and a saxophone. The clarinet had a reed and I played it. Can’t remember if they were like tis exactly but I think he told me that he had got them when he did some work I believe for Kalison.
This I think was the trumpet a miniature ( less than 30cm) trumpet

one on the left is the clarinet that I remember playing

Milandro, I'm not sure whether the instrument you pictured is a Kalison or not, but the one linked by motteatoj definitely is (and is smaller than the one you say is "smaller than a sopranino" ie. Yours was not smaller than a Sopranino). That Clarinet that you played on the left is also definitely by Kalison (with mouthpiece on the wrong way). Quinntheeskimo has priced his "primitive" Kalison about right for the market on a good day. Go figure. Cheers...

·
38,799 Posts
mine was smaller than a sopranino

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The tárogató is a woodwind that is similar to the saxophone in some respects. It is a single reed instrument with a conical bore that overblows an octave and has fingerings similar to the oboe. The one shown below was a poor quality instrument that I restored several years ago. It would be more "fun" to play if it weren't for the intonation challenges.

View attachment 268752

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
I'm buying a Turkish clarinet mostly because I can not afford a decent Tarogato.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Nah, once you start going down the custom trumpet wormhole that is pretty cheap (someone please send help, I'm in deep!!)

I would say it's overpriced for what's most likely a poor playing piccolo trumpet. King did a similar build for it's vendors you can look up the King Liberty Mini Trumpet. Those command a decent price tag mainly because of the name and rarity of them, but they still don't play particularly well either!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts