Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Exactly. I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about jazz, generally...so how is it that I never really listened to him until this week?

I ALSO didn't know that Airegin is Nigeria spelled backwards!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,602 Posts
You kids maybe should Google "Texas tenor sax jazz sounds". You know, Illinois Jacquet, Arnett Cobb, King Curtis, et al. Lots of folks think the guys from Texas had a distinctive sound.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Metalhead here. I had some brush with Coltrane and some free jazz through my contacts in the metal world [some tremendously refined jazz heads there, you guys might be surprised to know - but none recommended Ammons!]. Honestly it never clicked with me. Being a guitarist in a fairly advanced stage of ability , I never dug the mindless shred in metal/rock and probably the reason I never got into - pi-pi-poop -as I call it- jazz of Ornette Coleman and wilder side of coltrane etc. Sure I loved Naeema. But too much bop [ is that what the pi=pi=poop is called, right?] in between phrases distract me and that was that. Then suddenly one day I bumped into tenor sax vids and stumbled upon My Romance - the Boss Tenor version. Hooked. Lock , stock and two smoking barrels. I am hopefully more aware about the -soul- jazz thing now. Went through the Coleman Hawkins/Parker/Stitt lots of reccos. But in my book nothing touches Ammons. I rarely see him on any lists of great Jazz Sax maestros or forum reccos. I am flummoxed why that is the case. He is Gary Moore of the Jazz world. I bought a tenor sax and will start learning soon!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts