Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never knew much about Jug until this week. Seriously....that's pathetic.

LOVE that guys playing. Damn.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Not sure what you mean. What's pathetic about Ammons? It seems like most of the greats from the 40s on through the 60s had drug and alcohol problems and died young. edit - despite drug arrests he died young from cancer. Can you clarify?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Not sure what you mean. What's pathetic about Ammons? It seems like most of the greats from the 40s on through the 60s had drug and alcohol problems and died young. It seems to be part of living the life of a musician. Can you clarify?
Reread the first post...that should clarify

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Reread the first post...that should clarify
After I posted I read a little about him and edited my post. I'm still not sure what's pathetic. Not that it matters much. I'm not trying to stir up anything I just didn't get what the OP was getting at.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
I think he was just trying to say that he loves Jug and he can’t believe it wasn’t until this past week that he learned about him. I think he thought it was pathetic that it took him this long to get to know him.
That was my take on the post.

The Boss tenor lives on!!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Man, one of my favorite Tenor songs of Gene Ammons is "Canadian Sunset". Also he recorded my favorite version of "You Go To My Head". That's the way you can Speak and Sing thru a Saxophone. Kinda like Ben Webster who also spoke and sung thru his saxophone. That's also my approach when playing this instrument that does sound like the human voice when played with vocal expression...always liked Gene.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Man, one of my favorite Tenor songs of Gene Ammons is "Canadian Sunset". Also he recorded my favorite version of "You Go To My Head". That's the way you can Speak and Sing thru a Saxophone. Kinda like Ben Webster who also spoke and sung thru his saxophone. That's also my approach when playing this instrument that does sound like the human voice when played with vocal expression...always liked Gene.
Love his version of “you go To my head” and “I sold my heart to the junk man”.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I like to play his stuff when I hear someone say that all plastic mpcs sound cheap and ugly.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
One of my favorites! And like all the great players he had a wonderful and distinctive sound. I was lucky enough to see him years ago at the 'Both And Club' (now long gone) in SF. It was a small room and I sat right in front of the stage.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I think he was just trying to say that he loves Jug and he can’t believe it wasn’t until this past week that he learned about him. I think he thought it was pathetic that it took him this long to get to know him.
That was my take on the post.

The Boss tenor lives on!!!!
Ok I get it now. Pathetic that he just learned about Ammons. Got it.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I like to play his stuff when I hear someone say that all plastic mpcs sound cheap and ugly.
Not only that, but I clearly remember seeing an album cover of him playing what looked to be an alto clarinet mpce. on tenor. Now THAT takes some balls.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You think that is pathetic?I just learned tonight that Airegin is Nigeria spelled backwards! Been playing that tune since high school and never realized that..........
I learned this from the lyrics of the John Hendricks arrangement for Manhattan Transfer, "Wait'll y'dig it on the map - Airegin, Spelled backwards ..."

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
You think that is pathetic?I just learned tonight that Airegin is Nigeria spelled backwards! Been playing that tune since high school and never realized that..........
I won’t tell you about Monk’s Eronel then.

I had an older friend who saw Stitt and Gene Ammons play together and he said as much as he loved Stitt the crowd went wild over Ammons.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts