Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a very cheap soprano in the near future and I'm wondering if someone who has had good experiences with Chinese horns can recommend a straight soprano to buy. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,843 Posts
Well, Bauhaus Walstein would be the safest bet but you will pay a premium for that since it is imported in England and then exported to the States.
I have had a good experience with a " Mercury " soprano that I've bought in China when I was there
http://www.lk-js.com/en/main.asp

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
Well, Bauhaus Walstein would be the safest bet but you will pay a premium for that since it is imported in England and then exported to the States.
I agree totally with this, I bought a BW straight and compared with quite a few of the cheaper but still OK Chinese sopranos and it is definitely a good buy rather than a "goodbye". Plus they are getting quite reputation now so will hold their price better than many other "brands".

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd back up the comments on the Venus, from what I've read about them. I have an Aquilasax Bb soprano in bare brass that is very good. (Aquilasax.com) a NZ based company trading directly out of China. Recommended.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I have a couple of WWBW sopranos, presumably Chinese-made, that I purchased used for situations that I don't want to take my GP Selmer Serie III into. They are surprisingly good, with a much better scale than even more expensive ones that I've tried. They're around $700 new, or in that ballpark.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have a couple of WWBW sopranos, presumably Chinese-made, that I purchased used for situations that I don't want to take my GP Selmer Serie III into. They are surprisingly good, with a much better scale than even more expensive ones that I've tried. They're around $700 new, or in that ballpark.
Just curious: have the WWBW saxes been produced by the same manufacturer for the past 10 years? In an old WWBW catalog, Peter Ponzol said of the WWBW brand "I think you will agree with me when I say that these are among the best horns coming out of the East, and maybe even better than some very well known model s when it comes to sound."

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Just curious: have the WWBW saxes been produced by the same manufacturer for the past 10 years? In an old WWBW catalog, Peter Ponzol said of the WWBW brand "I think you will agree with me when I say that these are among the best horns coming out of the East, and maybe even better than some very well known model s when it comes to sound."
Good question--but I don't know how old these are (one straight brass and one silver tipped-bell model), and so can't speak to their origins. I'm picky about sop, though, and they really aren't too bad.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm sold on mouthpieces from Soprano Planet - that's what I have on my Yani. But the mp for my straight Yani was not what the curvy needed, and I couldn't afford to double the price of the horn with another mp. So I got a Kessler Custom, which is an Otto Link HR. It does a good job, except the low C thru Bb are a bit difficult to play softly. If I had my druthers (and the $$$), I'd have another mp from Joe.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
I know this is just a quick clip of the Hunter Soprano with my Soprano Planet modified Super Session MPC - but it will give you a taste.

+1 on a Soprano Planet MPC upgrade. I believe that is the key to playing ANY soprano regardless of who made it.

http://www.graysax.com/42ndst/04.mp3

(recorded from the pit with a Zoom H4N)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'll chime-in on the Soprano Planet mouthpieces. I play a custom vintage crystal SP mouthpiece with my Aquilasax soprano - it is amazing!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
I'm looking to get a very cheap soprano in the near future and I'm wondering if someone who has had good experiences with Chinese horns can recommend a straight soprano to buy. Thanks!
and here you are starting a 3rd thread in few days dealing the same issue?[rolleyes]

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have negotiated a deal with a company out of Tianjin. I have ordered sopranos from them spec'd out to my requests and they play great. The metal is exceptional on the antique archaized model. And the intonation is solid. Let me know. They are available under my name. Contact me at [email protected] for more details.

·
38,843 Posts
and another " brand" is born!........good luck!

·
38,843 Posts
well, I have seen many other(s) before..........

1 - 20 of 78 Posts