Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been playing tenor for about 15 years and have developed what I believe to be a nice sound with a loose embouchure. I don't rest my lower lip on my teeth either (fwiw). My setup: Buescher Aristocrat 156, Phil-Tone Sapphire .080 mpc, Vandoren Java Red 2.5, FL Pure Brass Llg).

A few months ago I started getting very sore in my upper cheeks after playing a short time. I noticed that I was expanding my cheeks with air so I've been forcing myself to not do that. It hasn't helped. Any ideas?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
I don't rest my lower lip on my teeth either (fwiw).
I can't help but ask, where do you rest your lower teeth if not on your lip? The lip provides a nice cushion as long as you don't bite into it. You definitely don't want to rest your teeth directly on the reed, but I'm sure you don't or you'd know it by the squealing sound that would result. So where do those teeth rest??

Sore cheeks is a new one. I've never heard of that. But if you are constantly expanding your cheeks with air, maybe that's the problem. If Dizzy was still around, you could ask him...

p.s. You have a good set up so I'm sure that's not the problem.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
I am guessing that you roll your lower lip out and hold it above the level of your lower teeth. I just tried this and felt a lot of tension in my upper jaw and cheek area. Maybe this is contributing to your cheek muscle discomfort.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I've been playing tenor for about 15 years and have developed what I believe to be a nice sound with a loose embouchure. I don't rest my lower lip on my teeth either (fwiw). My setup: Buescher Aristocrat 156, Phil-Tone Sapphire .080 mpc, Vandoren Java Red 2.5, FL Pure Brass Llg).

A few months ago I started getting very sore in my upper cheeks after playing a short time. I noticed that I was expanding my cheeks with air so I've been forcing myself to not do that. It hasn't helped. Any ideas?

This is so very strange that if it happened to me I would consider seeking medical explanation.
Your setup and experience is not conducive to strain.

1. Get the best player/teacher you can find to take a good look at your playing to make sure there is no idiosyncratic tension. I think most everyone rests at least some part of the lower lip on some part of the teeth. Perhaps there is something going on there.

2. If that don't work, I would try to find a doctor to evaluate the cause of this. Pain is very important to us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts