Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to add a soprano to my saxes but i'm not sure which is better. i have a P. alto now with rolled tones hole which i'm really diggin and thought i should have a matching soprano. my main concern is getting the most punch for the money, the mauriat alto wasnt exactly my first choice but with budget concerns i took the risk of buying a taiwan horn and man i'm glad i did! i assume that with the sopranos i have to pick one with spot on intonation. i'd like a soprano that is maybe around $1000 new or used, i dont mind. thanks!
-Elaine

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
E.L. The Sax said:
I've always wanted to add a soprano to my saxes but i'm not sure which is better. i have a P. alto now with rolled tones hole which i'm really diggin and thought i should have a matching soprano. my main concern is getting the most punch for the money, the mauriat alto wasnt exactly my first choice but with budget concerns i took the risk of buying a taiwan horn and man i'm glad i did! i assume that with the sopranos i have to pick one with spot on intonation. i'd like a soprano that is maybe around $1000 new or used, i dont mind. thanks!
-Elaine
I've played a couple of different Cannonball's and didn't like any of them. Don't know what else is in that price range.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,304 Posts
I had a complete post designed last night, then weather affected my Internet connection and it was all lost.

Look at Antiguas if you want a decent soprano at $1K or below. Both the PM's and Cannonballs are Taiwanese (as is the Antigua - in fact, most anything in the inexpensive new arena these days is Taiwanese) but I'm guessing they will be more expensive than the Antigua line.

Either PM's or CB's will play - trying to compare one to other is really subjective because all saxophones vary, even among similar models. DAVE

·
Registered
389 Posts
E.L. The Sax said:
-Elaine
Been to 5 different stores testing sopranos over the last 10 months. Here is how I ranked them.

Yani -Best action, liked the 992 best
Cannonball Arc-nice dark sound, action not up to Yani
Keilwerth-didn't impress me
p mauriat- well made, too bright
Yamaha - action way too light, sound interesting and different
Selmer- several new ones, just not for me

New Cannonball or P was well over$1000. I think Dave's reccommendation is a good one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what if i could get something with a bigger price tag? i'm curious whats the difference between the p mauriat, cannonball, and antiguas. i want something similar in feel to my alto, it has a huge, full round sound. i wouldnt call it bright at all, it's really quite deep though i'm not sure if dark is the word for it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,304 Posts
E.L.: If you go to a level above the PM's and CB's, then you are in Selmer/Yamaha/Yanagisawa/JK/Rampone territory. A lot more money and a marginal increase in playability.

Each one of those marques (just like PM, CB and Antigua, etc.) have their advocates and detractors. You will never reach a consensus here about which brand is better-worse.

When ANY of those models are properly set up, they will play well. I have in my closet a few sopranos and they all play well . . . S992, SC902, Antigua 590LQ, and two Buescher TT's. I love 'em all.

You would have to play all of them before you decided which one was best (for you). Even then, you may go to a store and find a soprano you like better than any of mine.

Personally, I think my 590LQ sounds better than my S992 (the designs are similar) yet the S992 is clearly the more expensive horn - and it feels like it, too.

I don't think your question can be objectively answered. They all differ and yet when tight, they'll all play well. It is totally a matter of personal preference AND budget. The Antigua, in MY opinion, has the best-bang-for-buck of any of them. DAVE

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,665 Posts
Elaine -

I agree with what Dave has said here - especially the parts about price dichotomy between PM, CB, Antigua vs. Yani, Yami, RC, Borgani and the fact that whether the horn is best horn for someone is ABSOLUTELY relative!

So, if your budget only allows somewhere around 1,000 bucks, I would suggest that you look at the "Horns for Sale" section here on SOTW. I see Taiwanse sops (including Antigua) sell around that neighborhood; in fact, I have just sold a customized black-nickel curved soprano for US$ 1,100.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
E.L. The Sax said:
-Elaine
You want the most punch for your money buy one of my horns. They're made by the same company that makes P. Mauriat but they're even nicer and less dough. Phil

·
Registered
957 Posts
Phil Barone said:
You want the most punch for your money buy one of my horns. They're made by the same company that makes P. Mauriat but they're even nicer and less dough. Phil
And they are .....?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what about saxophone.com horns? they look good, and priced pretty low. anyone has any experience with any of the sopranos?

·
Registered
249 Posts
A little out of place here ,but i noticed from older threads people were looking for dealers of p. mauriat saxes. There is one in Central Minnesota, he has 6 saxes in stock now. Check out www.alasmus.com

·
Registered
389 Posts
SaxyAcoustician said:
E.L. The Sax,

Listen to Dave. Get an Antigua. You WILL NOT regret it. Unbelievable soprano for the money. A true professional-level soprano.
Saxy: I notice your Yani is a curvey. Have you tested the Antigua against the straight C ball, P Mauriat and Yani? Both the C and the P are better horns then my cheap WW ( which I assume to be Tiawaneese), but they are not $1200 better! I haven't yet got the motivation to jump to a Yani!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts