Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kind of lusting after a soprano. So I stopped by the local dealer and picked up a new Selmer. I seriously wondered if I could ever play the thing due to the size of my hands and the locations of the palm keys et al.

are most sopranos about the same size, or do some have a bit more "real estate" to work with? If some are "larger", someone please share with me!

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
I imagine that the newer ones might be more friendly to large hands. A vintage Conn straight soprano should be fine but the old curved models can be awkward. Try different horns 'til you find a good fit. Yanagisawa produces one of the best sopranos today. The ones from 30 years ago were MK6 copies and play quite well, about as good as their Selmer role models. SML or King Marigaux sopranos are first rate axes and are good values in today's market. They should also be suitable for big hands.

·
14,268 Posts
I think they are all about the same. Oh, there may be some differences in design (the old Conns and Selmers up to the MKVI have in-line palm keys as opposed to the more saxophonish forked palm keys; and the left-pinky tables may differ from maker to maker), but all sopranos measure about the same length, thus the tone-hole placements are roughly the same. Some will tell you their horn is heavier than another but the truth is they only vary by a few ounces. Same with the bores.

So, yes, the keywork on a soprano is a lot closer together than on larger saxophones. But that shouldn't be a problem for an experienced player. The bigger problem will most likely be the smaller mouthpiece and tighter embouchure. DAVE

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Have you ever looked at the size of Coltrane's hands?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Big hands soprano=Bueschers roller G# or early Yamahas or SBA's- Early MKVi's (expect soe trouble fro the palm keys on all proposed models)

MUST relocate and /or replace the flimsy RH thumb hook on Bueschers!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I agree with Juan on the Buescher having a bit more room. I think it is the smaller spatula keys that help. I find the Selmers and all the asian copies to be crowded. Even my small hands tend to bump side keys, etc. Here is a photo of a Buescher I am selling so you can compare it to the Selmer. Also, my Martin and Conn are not too crowded but the Buescher is the roomiest (sounds like we are discussing cars!). Buescher TT with the roller G#:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/tags/buesopss/

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any comments on a yamaha 62 or maybe a Couf superb anyone?

·
14,268 Posts
I played a 62 for several years . . . basically the same as my Selmer Serie III, Yanagisawas, Bueschers, Antigua, etc., etc. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
I have big hands and dont have too much trouble with the barone. I think the pinky cluster and G# layout is quite good.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
The JK SX90 II ergos are good for me and I have big palms with medium length fingers The Bauhaus [email protected] sop is good for me as well. It was the adjustable palm keys on the JK (and the tone) that decided it

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
The barones are cool horns, lots'a horn for the money. The JKs are intonationally and tonally challenged IMHO. The VI's have a large RH spread that's nice for a big hand. Feels like a tenor (larger than a VI alto) and the cumbersome palms are quite functional. COufs are solid horns too... Dr. G are you selling your couf?

·
Registered
439 Posts
The ergos, especially the palm key set-up, on the Yamaha sopranos, such as the Yss-675 and 875 are very condusive to someone with large hands!

·
32,938 Posts
Coufs are solid horns too... Dr. G are you selling your couf?
Hey, Juan. Big hands here - (I can palm a basketball, span an octave and a fifth on the piano).

Yes, given that a certain Buescher sop on the way, the Couf may well be available. I just took some pictures last night.

·
32,938 Posts
Yes, given that a certain Buescher sop on the way, the Couf may well be available.
The Couf sop is sold (pending approval).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, it's gonna be mine! :D it'll match up nice next to my Supeba II Tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
JK SX 90 .......are great, and as for intonation, David Liebman not to have too many problems with it

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Leib can probably play any note he wants within a fourth of any note fingering on the sax LOL.... why would he worry about the intonation of any particular instrument.

Well maybe not quite that much on the bell notes but.... :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts