Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
Very simple question.
I would like to hear opinions of those who owned and played both, and chose one over the other as there best soprano saxe.
Which one is best in sound,intonation??
I know that there are lots of other threads of many similar ones,but i am intrigue of those two particular models.
Thanks
All the best
Saxobari

·
14,302 Posts
I owned both together at one time . . . The Serie III was silver-plated, if that matters. I eventually sold the Selmer and kept the Yanagisawa. That was several years ago and I’ve forgotten the sordid details but I liked the Yanagisawa much better. Only two saxophones, though. I don’t think any conclusions should be made based on my limited experiences. DAVE

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Hi guys.
Very simple question.
I would like to hear opinions of those who owned and played both, and chose one over the other as there best soprano saxe.
Which one is best in sound,intonation??
I know that there are lots of other threads of many similar ones,but i am intrigue of those two particular models.
Thanks
All the best
Saxobari
I have the yani curved 992 its the best sax I ever had

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
992. No doubt. Best soprano out there, IMO.

I'll add that, in my (limited) experience with the SIII, I didn't find it to sound anything like the 992. Very different (tonally) horns.

·
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
I only played a Serie III once for a few minutes,,just can t remember how it was compare to my 992!
All the best
Mario

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,546 Posts
I’ve owned two Serie III sops, and two Yanagisawa SC-992 (curved) sops over the last 20 years. A Borgani Jubilee is what floats my boat.

All are different, each may appeal to you on a different day - any of them are great horns. I prefer a bent neck straight horn with a fixed neck, and a sound that doesn’t get thin.

·
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice horn DR G.
I have seen one Borganie sop. in Montreal many years ago, and played there tenor,not the soprano.
Though,i am very satisfied with the S992 Yanagisawa,just curious about that Serie III.
Thanks for the reply.
All the best
Mario

·
Registered
106 Posts
I haven't played a Yanagisawa 992 so I cannot make any comparaison, but I have a Selmer Serie III soprano and I love it very much and I'll never consider switching from it. I have an early version of the Serie III, where there was still a "Super Action 80" stamp on it. Compared to a modern version, the sound I have is warmer and spread that the newer version, which is more neutral I'd say and focus.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I think Selmer S3s can be very variable. I have owned two and played many more and they were all remarkably different. So, if you go for a S3, try plenty of them. Things to watch out for beyond intonation which can be tighter than the Yani in the middle register, are a tendency to warble below bottom F in low volumes (my first S3 sop was a horror for this, my present one is no problem) and a tendency to a split sound from top E and above in the palm keys (unless you are very careful) which is par for the course for Selmers.
The Yanis I have played have different intonation characteristics to the S3, the middle register octaves are a bit freer generally and the octave A can feel quite wide in comparison to a Selmer. But the response in the lower register and palm keys is good.
Tonally they are a bit different. I find Selmers have a gnarly-ness to their sound, despite being well focused. The Yani is a bit more straight forward which has led to some players labelling them as a bit bland (but that's a matter of perspective I reckon).

·
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting Vanadiel
The only Serie III I have owned was a tenor,and an early one,it was an amazing tenor.
Thanks for the reply.
Regards
Saxobari

·
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Allo Dave
Thanks for taking time to write about your experiences with the Serie III s.
I do beleive also that horns do varie ,and even in the same series.
Great reply Dave.
All the best
Mario

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
a tendency to a split sound from top E and above in the palm keys (unless you are very careful) which is par for the course for Selmers.
That's funny, I have found that Selmers are easier to play up there than Yanagisawas. :) I've tried Mark VI, SIII, 880, 991 and 992, but unfortunately only one of each and not side by side. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,221 Posts
I owned both together at one time . . . The Serie III was silver-plated, if that matters. I eventually sold the Selmer and kept the Yanagisawa. That was several years ago and I’ve forgotten the sordid details but I liked the Yanagisawa much better. Only two saxophones, though. I don’t think any conclusions should be made based on my limited experiences. DAVE
I, too, had this experience and I would add the solid silver III. I ended up liking the 992 best of the three for sound and keywork ( felt and played great) but ended up selling them all and staying with old reliable Mark VI. Probably just a “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks” kind of thing.

·
1,120 Posts
I sold my Mark VI, kind of regret that but I know where it is....Sold my my silver III......sold my 475....I bought a Bronze Yani 902...Very good horn and very flexible.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts