1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much weight the soprano without MP?
So far this is the result I had.

Buescher TT 1928: 1.260 Kg. = 2.777 lb.

Yanagisawa S6 1975: 1.265 Kg. = 2.788 lb.

Antigua SS4920LQ 2009: 1.320 Kg. = 2.910 lb.

If someone had access to a good scale, please post the weight of your sop.

Cheers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Thanks for posting this info. This same issue was discussed several years ago here on SOTW, me taking the position that certain sopranos were heavier than other sopranos was a myth, and I asked anyone who had a capable scale to post their results. This followed many postings about one horn being heavier than another.

I have pretty close to the same type of sops in my closet (my Antigua is a 590LQ; I have three Yanagisawas), with the addition of a few more. I stepped on my bathroom scales holding three or four (don't recall the exact number now, a mixture of vintage and modern) and got a three-pound increase each time. Nobody ever posted exact weights then and the subject died. The differences you list are insignificant in my view. DAVE

·
2,828 Posts
i have a bauhaus walstein bronze, a silver 4290 antigua,and a yss 62,all sops!..have not gone for the weigh in yet!!......lets get ready to rumble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to local market owned by a friend, with my 3 sops. The scale used was a digital one for selling vegetables, so I think it's useful for this matter. The main reason on this is because I have heard that newer sopranos seem to be more heavier than some vintage, even between yanagisawas..S6 vs. S800 vs. S9xx...etc.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
Let's see.... 3 guys with more than 10 sopranos between them!

I don't know about variation in weight, but if I were to take up sop again I think I would go curved instead of straight. As I get older I find the unsupported weight held away from the body to be a bit of an issue physically.

·
14,268 Posts
I would expect a modern soprano like your Antigua to weigh slightly more than a TT because of the additional keywork (assuming hi-G keying) and a more detailed left-pinky spatula; but less than .14 of a pound is not what I'd call a weight difference in physical heft. It certainly isn't what could be determined by lifting one then the other. And that was the issue back than - claims that one weighed more than the other to a significant degree.

I have both straight and curved sops, and once owned a Saxello and a modern version by Rampone (more accurately a tipped-bell sop). All were equally easy to play sans neck-strap. Even at my age now (shall we say ANCIENT), I have no problems handling them. I realize others may be able to do that, and there sure isn't anything wrong with a curvy. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Mark VI (107k): 1215 grams
Yanagisawa SC992: 1375 grams

·
1,001 Posts
I have played many instruments. All require some effort to hold in a proper position for playing. So what? If you want to make music you learn how to hold them. Practice is required not only for the playing muscles but also for the holding muscles. I'd hate to hear of someone quitting the sop because they could not hold it.

I do advise using a strap no matter what type of neck yours has.

I have even known musicians who lift weights! I limber up each day with 10lb barbells. Obviously I am not ready for the Olympics but it does strength wrists, forearms and shoulders.

Standing while playing is the best way to support any horn, even for those long four-hour gigs.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
I'd hate to hear of someone quitting the sop because they could not hold it.
While I have given up soprano playing for the moment, it wasn't because of the weight issue it was because of a divorce property settlement issue that resulted in me having to liquidate a number of instruments. Now that the issue is behind me I'm in horn aquisition mode again (tenor, C-melody, alto on order and 3 clarinets in 6 months!) so it seems I might very well be a soprano owner again.

On the issue of the weight and playing position, I had a neck injury about twelve years ago which resulted in a damaged nerve affecting my right arm. I now need to be careful about how I lift things that are away from my body. Up until recently this hasn't been an issue with instruments but since I haven't been playing soprano and since I've begun playing a metal clarinet (which is paradoxically lighter) I've noticed that I benefit from less weight. It doesn't seem to affect trumpet because the weight is taken by the left arm with the elbow nicely tucked. The way I play soprano has the right arm taking the entire weight without any "elbow tuck". So, if I buy a new soprano it will be curved one.

I have also experimented over the years with a variety of slings (straps) and harnesses for saxes. My current solution is the Cebulla which takes the pressure off my suspect vertebrae yet is easily adjustable on the fly for my different size saxes. Playing straight soprano on a sling gave little or no weight relief, but that might be because of the way I hold it.

And while we're on the subject of physical disabilities, I have a crossbite (lower jaw/teeth in front of upper). I find it very difficult to play clarinet or soprano with a downward pointing stance without actually bending my head forward which is bad for my air flow (but is OK for my neck).

It's admirable to keep in shape with weights but in my case it's not a muscle strength problem, it's a nerve vulnerability problem way back at my neck vertebrae.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, i never thought my soprano was heavier than any others, apparently it is!
Rampone R1 Jazz (sterling silver) - 1,510 grams
Rampone R1 are supposed to be a big bore soprano and/or sliver could be more heavier than brass.
Thanks for posting!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Yanagisawa S992 ~ 3 lbs or 1.361 Kg
Yanagisawa SC992 ~ 3 lbs or 1.361 Kg
Yanagisawa SC901 ~ 3 lbs or 1.361 Kg
These three can't possibly all weigh the same: the sc992 has and the s992 must be different. I guess your scale is in pounds, and not very sensitive, and you're converting to grams with a calculator?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I still contend there's enough difference in weight between a Mk. VI and modern horns, with all their added baggage, to make the latter a bit more uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time. Is that a scientific assessment? Hardly. But it's borne out by my personal experience, so I guess you can say it's my $.02 (adjusted for inflation).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
These three can't possibly all weigh the same: the sc992 has and the s992 must be different. I guess your scale is in pounds, and not very sensitive, and you're converting to grams with a calculator?
Using a digital scale that goes to .1 lbs. Used online converter which I rounded up from something like 1.36077...

·
14,268 Posts
The only differences I see between the S992 and the SC992 is the shape of the horns. If you straightened the SC992 it would be the same as the S992. The S901 differences are the fixed neck and the brass tube as opposed to bronze. Is brass heavier than bronze? If so, by how much? Apparently no differences here.

As far as a Rampone being a "big bore" horn, why would that add much if any weight, even if true (and I doubt that the Rampone's bore is any different than any other Bb soprano unless one buys into the myth)? And, is silver heavier than brass or bronze? And if so, how much different? Enough to make a meaningful, felt difference in heft?

I doubt it all. My TT would seemingly weigh less than my S992 (because of the additional keywork on the S992 . . . hi F#, Hi G, tilting pinky table), but they end up weighing within a half-pound of each other, if that. Hardly enough to make a difference in one's hands. DAVE

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
My suggestion would be to take off the F# key and weigh it, to see if it weighs enough to account for weight differences.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The bore of the Rampone is pretty big. I've never measured it but visually i notice the difference when comparing to other soprano's ie. the yani i had previously (they look like light weights when compared)
Having said that, i'd say the high G probably contributes to the extra weight more than the extra metal in the tube.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yamaha      YSS62   1.278 kg   = 2.818 lbs

Yanagisawa   S901  1.292 kg   = 2.848 lbs

Keilwerth     SX90    1.356 kg   = 2.990 lbs

1 - 20 of 33 Posts