Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys , I need help trying to find a soprano saxophone for my classical saxophone quartet for under 1,000 dollars.
any recommendations on a good horn to buy . Open to all responses. also a good classical Soprano sax setup would be fine to . Im also a college student .
. Musical instrument Yellow Music Woodwind instrument Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
If you do some hunting you should be able to come up with a Buescher True Tone soprano and a Selmer S-80 C* or Rousseau 4C or 5C in that range of cost. You'll probably have to cut 1/4" to 3/8" off the shank of either MP to get it on the neck far enough due to the octave key post. For altos the later series True Tones are preferred due to better intonation (scuttlebutt; don't know if actually true) and front F (along with roller on G#) - but since sopranos never got the front F and (as far as I know) were never changed for intonation, an earlier one with the round pearl button G# ought to be just fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,181 Posts
If you increase your budget a tad, you might be able to find a vintage Buescher in decent playing shape from a dealer. Try to go above serial number 200,000.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,932 Posts
$1000 will get you a used Jupiter, those are quite respectable, actually and IMHO every but as good as a Yama 475 or the like.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Best option....Kessler! Made in Vietnam and basic set up at Kessler's store. These are excellent instruments for the money! Soprano Saxophones | Only the world's finest @KesslerMusic
I've had excellent experiences with Kessler's, and I was looking at the sopranos on their website the other day. I noticed that Dave K has a blog entry there on "Choosing a Soprano Sax" that I found interesting, so I'll try to link to here: Choosing a Soprano Sax | Kessler & Sons Music (kesslerandsons.com)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'll go for the "Handmade One" from Kessler

1 - 8 of 8 Posts