Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yanagisawa 992 Soprano (its newer incarnation is the SW020), and it is a great horn. But I have developed some age-related arthritis, especially in my right thumb, and I'm thinking about replacing the 992 if it will feel lighter on my right hand. I do use a strap, but it still feels heavy on the right thumb.

The 992 comes with both a curved and straight neck, and I much prefer the curved neck. So if I got a different horn, my preference would be one that comes with dual necks like the 992. Since I am very happy with my Yamaha tenor, I was just wondering if perhaps the Yamaha sopranos might be a little lighter in weight than the Yani 992. If any of you have played both Yanagisawa and Yamaha sopranos (especially the 875EX), can you tell me if you noticed any difference in the weights?

I would also consider a good intermediate level sax (especially Yamaha), but I don't know if there are any good ones that come with the curved neck.

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
the weight variations between these brands and types would be minimal and in my opinion negligible but, speaking as someone who has shoulders and thumb arthritis problem I’d much recommend you to try for comfort and sound a curved soprano ( which excludes Yamaha because they don’t make any) , in my experience I liked that arangement very much when I had a very faithful copy of the Yanagisawa. If money is no object try a Yanagisawa before you commit to another straight soprano.

I am pretty sure that you will be pleasantly suprised.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much. I have never played a curved soprano. Can you tell me if I should expect any differences between the straight and curved saxes in terms of playing? For example, on my straight soprano, I find no problems in playing the very lowest notes (this is not always the case on the tenor, where I really need to adjust my embouchure to get out something like a low B). Also hoping I my current mouthpiece (Selmer Super Session E) would still work well for me with a curved horn.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have played and Owned The CURVY YANAGISAWA (SC992) and now Play and OWN THE SW020... The YANI curvy are amazing and they feel almost like playing a small Tenor sax, EXCELLENT INTONATION and GREAT ERGONOMICS, i JUST didn't like MY sound on the CURVY and sold it and bought the new SW020. I would try it first if i were you and see if you like your sound on a curvy, they do have a bit of difference sound wise. You cant go wrong with a YANI, buy try a curvy and see if it is the sound you want. Hope this helps. The curvy does put a LITTLE LESS stress on the thumb though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had to go to Cured sopranos due to a thumb injury. Time to sell my strait ones. The Yani will be missed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
Thanks very much. I have never played a curved soprano. Can you tell me if I should expect any differences between the straight and curved saxes in terms of playing? For example, on my straight soprano, I find no problems in playing the very lowest notes (this is not always the case on the tenor, where I really need to adjust my embouchure to get out something like a low B). Also hoping I my current mouthpiece (Selmer Super Session E) would still work well for me with a curved horn.

Aside from the obvious fact that the sound is closer to you, no, I never found any difference and if anything played better than most (I like the mechanics) .

Your mouthpiece would certainly work also on a curved, I’s say thry a modern Yanagisawa (the old ones had a neck not as curved and the very first had older mechanics with the bell keys on the left side)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,923 Posts
Another vote in favor of the SC-992 - no issues with either end of the range. Good lil’ horns - just a bit loud (or maybe that’s ‘cause I blow too hard). I like ‘em.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts