Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a question. I recently purchased a Drake Son of Slant mouthpiece (7) and popped it on my Yani bronze (992 I think) and it played well using my usual reed - Rico Royal 3. I really like the mouthpiece for the most part BUT can't seem to get the sax to reach pitch. It is playing just a bit flat (except for middle D - it's right on!). I have the mouthpiece pushed in as far as it will go (I think even if the cork was shaved a bit the mouthpiece would not push in anymore). So I am hoping that there is some key not opening enough on the horn - or something like this that a tech could fix? I would hate to give up on the mouthpiece because of this issue. Any thoughts? Thanks, Rich

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
Hi all. I have a question. I recently purchased a Drake Son of Slant mouthpiece (7) and popped it on my Yani bronze (992 I think) and it played well using my usual reed - Rico Royal 3. I really like the mouthpiece for the most part BUT can't seem to get the sax to reach pitch. It is playing just a bit flat (except for middle D - it's right on!). I have the mouthpiece pushed in as far as it will go (I think even if the cork was shaved a bit the mouthpiece would not push in anymore). So I am hoping that there is some key not opening enough on the horn - or something like this that a tech could fix? I would hate to give up on the mouthpiece because of this issue. Any thoughts? Thanks, Rich
It's unlikely to be a key not opening issue if your soprano was OK with the previous mouthpiece but not this new one.

What is the previous mouthpiece that plays in tune? Why not just stick with that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,032 Posts
If the cork is loose enough, you can measure the distance of the shank of the new mouthpiece from end to where it may bottom out on the inside. Then measure the distance of the end of the horn to where the mouthpiece now goes. If you have more distance to go inside the mouthpiece, you can shave the cork some more. Another issue may be the octave pip which will make the mouthpiece rub on it.
If the horn had a leak, it most likely would be sharp and not flat.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
What is stopping the mouthpiece from going on further? Is it hitting the end of the neck (inside the mouthpiece), or is the cork too tight?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well. It's hard for me to tell. It may be a bit of a hump in the cork (formed by where the old mouthpiece sat) or it may be that the neck is hitting the top platform of the mouthpiece. I don't want to push too hard to see what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. I put the old mouthpiece on and I can't get it quite up to pitch either - but it is a bit closer. Maybe something happened to my mouth! As far as sticking with old piece - a Jodi Jazz - I was just not getting the upper register out easily - it was very stuffy up there for me - so I thought I would go for a change to see what happens. The Son of Slant is more free blowing up there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Well. It's hard for me to tell. It may be a bit of a hump in the cork (formed by where the old mouthpiece sat) or it may be that the neck is hitting the top platform of the mouthpiece. I don't want to push too hard to see what happens.
Don’t push harder. Sand down the cork to make it a cylinder (vs a cone). Then grease it well, and try again. Protect the neck/body tube with tape to keep from abrading it with sand paper.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,420 Posts
Put the mouthpiece on without a reed so you can see if it is at the throat restriction. If there's still room, do what you need to do to the cork to get it on farther. I'm actually glad to see how flat it is - I thought just the Chinese sopranos were flat but I guess any of them can be. Flat is decidedly better than sharp - they don't make soprano sax stretchers anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put the mouthpiece on without a reed so you can see if it is at the throat restriction. If there's still room, do what you need to do to the cork to get it on farther. I'm actually glad to see how flat it is - I thought just the Chinese sopranos were flat but I guess any of them can be. Flat is decidedly better than sharp - they don't make soprano sax stretchers anymore.
This is true! Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,032 Posts
I find that some players who go from tenor to soprano tend to be too loose. Avoid rolling the lower lip out and try rolling it over the teeth.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I thought just the Chinese sopranos were flat but I guess any of them can be. Flat is decidedly better than sharp - they don't make soprano sax stretchers anymore.
What is the reason why Chinese sopranos are generally flat? I have an LC 601 curved soprano (Taiwan) and I noticed that notes on the lower register are generally flat.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Unfortunately you're going to run into this issue over and over on soprano sax. It is a very finicky instrument when it comes to mouthtpieces. Even the shape of your head is going to be a big factor in whether a mouthpiece will work for you or not. The pipe is so much shorter than other saxes, and the human ear so much more sensitive to nuance at high frequencies, that finding the right mouthpiece is going to be very, very tricky on soprano. I have 5 of them currently, and the only mouthpiece I have that works on all 5 is a Yamaha 6C. Other sop mouthpieces I own that work on one or two but not the others are: Meyer 6, Selmer Soloist (scroll shank,) Otto Link STM 6*, Morgan Vintage.

The intonation/mouthpiece war on soprano sax is the main reason that after 4 years I finally gave up, buckled down and started over on clarinet. For a horn in that range clarinet is a far superior instrument with far fewer intonation issues, and a much greater range and more flexible sound that doesn't assault the ears like soprano (especially when having intonation difficulties.) Good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
This may be a silly comment, but is the removable neck all the way into its socket? Maybe you failed to seat the neck properly and didn't catch it. I once owned an S992 and it could play sharp with a myriad of mouthpieces when everything was assembled correctly.

I agree with the others asking for more detail about why the mouthpiece won't go onto the neck any further. I've experienced various reasons why a mouthpiece wouldn't shove on far enough (too thick of a cork, too short of a mouthpiece shank internally, and the bottom of the mouthpiece's barrel hitting the upper octave vent - which is sometimes the case with certain vintage sopranos). DAVE

·
Registered
437 Posts
I thought just the Chinese sopranos were flat but I guess any of them can be. Flat is decidedly better than sharp - they don't make soprano sax stretchers anymore.
What is the reason why Chinese sopranos are generally flat? I have an LC 601 curved soprano (Taiwan) and I noticed that notes on the lower register are generally flat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I play the SWO20 so the new equivalent of the 992. I mainly play with a Theo Wanne Gaia 6 and it fits very well, really opens the soprano up, gives it a huge sound and I have no intonation issues. Loved it so much I got a Gaia for my alto (not a Yani) and I had a thicker cork put on and it was reshaped to let the MPC fit well. If you really like the MPC then it might be worth a go. It's sorted my problem out (the new cork is still fine for a Selmer Concept too which also plays nicely).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts