Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Absolutely horrible. And what's with the swaying? Does he think he's the Ray Charles of saxophone?

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
I just don't get it. Maybe some people do, but I don't. Does it really take any talent at all to do that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I sort of liked it. Listen only to the low notes and his Humming/Vocal sounds. I wouldn't want to listen to another piece like this. But I can honestly say, I've never heard anyone play soprano like this before.

·
Registered
337 Posts
jentone said:
I sort of liked it. Listen only to the low notes and his Humming/Vocal sounds. I wouldn't want to listen to another piece like this. But I can honestly say, I've never heard anyone play soprano like this before.
I have....Evan Parker

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I'll have to check out Evan - Thanks

·
Registered
390 Posts
And folks, that is proof that a soprano can be played to sound like a violin, except in this case, a very badly played violin ... or is a very badly played soprano? I get confused :? .

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ditto to baylistenor's comment. For a whole album that features a more mature, varied and interesting approach to this type of soprano playing, check out Evan Parker's Conic Sections.

Not to dis this fellow. I found it interesting, but Parker varies the textures and sounds more, and creates many sounds that make me say, "What the . . . ?!?"

·
878 Posts
Maybe my comment was harsh, but I just don't get it at all.

·
1,404 Posts
You don't have to get it. It is performance art. He wants to be different, not to sound like a soprano sax player. There are plenty of people around the world who appreciate this kind of performance.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
How many performance artists does it take to change a light bulb?

Five. One to perform, and four to document it.

·
878 Posts
I don't have to get it? Gee, thanks. ;)

Sounds like random gibberish being spouted out of a horn and then someone calls it art. I couldn't actually tell if it was a joke or not.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
bfoster64 said:
You don't have to get it. It is performance art. He wants to be different, not to sound like a soprano sax player. There are plenty of people around the world who appreciate this kind of performance.
So you mean I can make money doing that? That's great, because I can absolutely play like that. ;)

·
1,313 Posts
I like free stuff more than most, and this really didn't do much for me. I tend to appreciate improvisation that evolves in some way. This just felt like a bunch of finger wiggling and squeaking. Not my bag.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
IM sure that guy can probably play,,but that didnt do anything for me..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts