Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. I just changed a pad on my Antigua soprano sax, but I'm not pleased. I changed the pad because the pad had a cut in it which was responsible for my A key sticking especially when going from A to B. That problem is now gone but now the sax isn't as freeblowing as it was and several notes are hard to reach now. I think the pads need to be fluffed or something. I tried simply bending the cup so that both cups for A go down together evenly. No matter how I bend the cups there is some new problem that presents itself. The pad I repaced the old one with is one that I got from music medic. It seem to fit the cup fine as long as I didn't put too much shellac in the key cup. I've been at it for a couplre hours now. If anybody knows what I am doing wrong or can make a suggestion I would really appreciate it. I can't afford for my sax to be in disrepair.

thanks,

D'Angelo.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
I have no idea what you're doing wrong because I'm not a repair tech. Oh, and speaking of repair techs, this sounds like a job for one.

Good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
fballatore said:
Oh, and speaking of repair techs, this sounds like a job for one.
Before seeing one, be sure you have removed all cleaning rags from the bore...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Since you got your pad from music medic take a look at the article on their website about repadding. He explains fluffing the pad. Bending the key is probably not a good idea.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Sopranos are difficult to work on even for repair techs who are experienced. You are working on the upper stack in which the pad not only needs to be seated properly, but the keys regulated with one another as well. The difficulty is created by how small the keys are, how close they are together, and how hard it is to get into where you need to adjust.

My advice is to stop now before you do more damage by bending keys and take it to an experienced repairman. What you are trying to do requires much more information and detail than is possible to give on a forum such as this. Good luck. Hope this helps (in the long run).

John

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I agree with Jbt.
It sounds as if you don't really know what you are doing, and that is a very bad omen for a sop sax.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I tried to do something similar with my soprano...except I tried to replace ALL the pads. It didn't work. I spent months trying to fix it up, causing even more damage. I ended up taking it in to a tech who charged me $400 to get it fixed up.
The job would normally have been close to $800, but I got a deal! my advice, is to take it to a tech before you start costing yourself money!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts