Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Personally, I have never played Legere that I liked. I have found, for me, the Fibracells to be very good. I play on .055 to .063 tips on Soprano, and just recently moved up from a 2 1/2 (Med) and 3 (Med Hard) to a 3 1/2 (Hard) and 4 (harder? lol) .

I have been playing soprano since 1995, so that could have something to do with it :) . The reed switch has only been recently though, when I noticed my high end was getting unstable, and my low end was "warbling".

Switching to stiffer reeds, was actually much less taxing on the embouchure, as I was no longer fighting the reed to stay stable in pitch. If you fight the reed, then it is either too soft, or too stiff, or maybe just the wrong cut (American, German, or French!). Play around with different brands, strengths, and materials. It isn't a cheap quest, but when you hit a reed you like, you'll know it, cause it will be virtually effortless!

Same hold true for mouthpieces.

Keep in mind, that when I started soprano, I was playing a 2 1/2 E. Rousseau (I miss those reeds!) reed on a Runyon "Spoiler" #6 mouthpiece. After switching to a Rovner Deep V metal #6, I switched to #3 reeds, then to Harry Hartman Carbon Toptones in a Med Hard. When the Carbon Toptones were redesigned, I hated how the played and sounded! So, I tried fibracell, and stepped up to 3 1/2 and 4 (after determining that the unstable notes I was getting were in fact caused by the too soft reed, that my embouchure had grown stronger and accustomed to the larger tips I am now playing on my other saxes).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I completely understand. I suggest them because the new Signatures for soprano are very impressive in contrast to the others on the market nowadays. I've personally seen them made at the Legere factory in Ontario. The new quality controls and innovative manufacturing techniques are awesome- they are now better, stronger, and faster!!!

The soprano in particular has a fantastic sound and response.

But, hey, to each his own!
Interesting. I just gave up on them, when I tried Alto and Tenor Legere reeds in 2003. They felt, and played like, a worn out stuffy cane reed, not a new crisp cane reed as advertised. Very disappointed! Happy with my setups now, but I may try them at a later date, when I have some money to gamble!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts