Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
I put a leak light in it and didn't see any leaks.
That doesn't mean there aren't any. Do you have a teacher who could test it? If not take it to a good tech who will be able to find any leaks if there are any, they usually have a selection of mouthpieces and should be able to solve the problem, whether it's the horn, mouthpiece or operator.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
But I suspect there is a leak problem as well. BTW Does the neck cork fit and seal well at the reed end of that cork?
This is a good possible diagnosis, it's typical of a major leak that won't show with a leak light.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
Thanks lots! I played around with mouthpiece placement on the neck,and it did make a difference!
That's great, but what it means is obviously it will tune differently, so if it was in tune before (with the mouthpiece in its previous position) you will need to rethink your embouchure. For this, mouthpiece exercises will be very useful, especially on soprano where they make a lot of difference:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-mouthpiece-exercises.html

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
.. relocating the mouthpiece can make the motorboating dis-appear, so to me thats indicative of the fact that the leak can be bypassed by finding the mpc sweet spot.
Very good point, and if that is true you should ignore what I said about adjusting your embouchure to tune to the new mouthpiece position

1 - 6 of 6 Posts