Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

After a 15-year hiatus, I'm getting back to an old experiment, just for sh*ts & giggles:

A PVC soprano sax. Keyed.
Already succeeded once with a clarinet during my poor man's college days, not having an instrument to copy at the time, so the design was purely theoretical, even the working mouthpiece (done in PVC too). The resulting keywork, made with bicycle radius wire, ended up being an Albert system; not too shabby.

I'm looking for input on modern instrument's dimensions, namely neck-joint-side diameter & bell-side diameter (to determine cone angle), straight or "parabolic" bore (oh, the Holy Wars again, eh?), and any other particularities you SOTW gurus have seen or experienced during the lifetime of this vast vault of woodwind knowledge we call "forum".

I've already done some research on keywork mechanisms / automations (octave vents/pips, etc.), plus some key design considerations for rigidity and durability.
Might even get the cheeky little buggers 3D-printed, why not.

I've been an enthusiastic visitor of this site for over a decade, but the time has come to get involved and share some fun stuff, if progress is made.

The result should be a simple Bb or C soprano. No bells & whistles. Just an instrument one can travel with and take to the beach without fear of corrosion or grinding.
As I said, just for fun.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Acoustical Aspects of Woodwind Instruments by C.J.Nederveen has detailed dimensions for a Selmer, Shenkelarrs, and Solotone soprano. Good luck. Building a cylindrical woodwind is one thing. Making a conical one that works is something else. You may want to visit Jim Schmidt's website and study some of his techniques for saxophone building.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Check out Marten Postma’s site http://sax.mpostma.nl

Look under Measurements (link on the left of the main page).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts