Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about learning a new instrument. If I play a clarinet about how hard would it be to learn soprano saxophone. P.S I've been playing clarinet for 3 years, since 6th grade.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
its a totally different animal !! I play clarinet and very well and play the soprano and its a much looser embouchure and different head position too. I started out on Alto then Tenor and finally soprano . Its a very hard instrument to keep in perfect intonation which also depends on your setup and the soprano you have .

Dogster

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,558 Posts
It's about as hard as learning any new instrument. You'll suck for a long time and then you get better.
Clarinet is my primary for over 40 years. Soprano sax is nothing like the clarinet other than a 'similar' size mouthpiece. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,189 Posts
It's easier to go from clarinet to saxophone than the other way around (fingering-wise), as the saxophone octave fingerings are similar to the clarinet's upper register fingerings.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The most difficult thing about learning to play soprano in 9th grade is finding a place to play. Most school bands don't really have a place for soprano players, and without a place to regularly play with others, chances are you'll probably give it up long before you make any real progress. However, if your school does have an ensemble where you can regularly play, than go for it! It's no easier/harder than learning any other instrument.

To reinforce what others said above, it is NOT a metal clarinet with keys - while there is a reed and some similar fingerings, it is a different instrument and should be approached on its own terms. Otherwise, you may find yourself frustrated pretty quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts