Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While lately I've been using Vandoren Javas, I've noticed years ago and again recently that I get a fuller, meatier sound wih Hemkes. I've also tried Vandoren trad (originally that was the only game in town) and V16s. The downside of the Hemkes is that they don't last as long. Often the tip area seems to warp and lose its spring.

If I like Hemkes, what is better yet? What strength is good? Right now I use Java 3's and Hemke 3.5's. The Hemke 3.5's seem to me tad harder than Java 3's and Hemke 3's are softer (too soft.)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Actually Gonzalez makes soprano sax reeds and they come in quarter strengths. I have not yet tried them on soprano.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I also love Hemke reeds on soprano; nice sounding, consistant but short lasting reeds. If you like Javas, try LaVoz reeds: these are actually extremely consistant and nice sounding (in my opinion, of course).

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike, do you mean the plain old Superial 3's? I have some DC 3.5 which seem about right in strength but don't blow as nicely as a Hemke, as least when it is new.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you like Hemke and DC 3.5 is the right strength, you should try Alexander Classique 3.0.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess I'll give Superials, of different sorts, a try again.

I'm one of those who tended to chirp on Alexanders, but I play looser now. Anyway that was mainly an issue on alto, not soprano.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts