Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I thought, having retired and got time and some money to spend, I'd finally try out a Soprano Planet mouthpiece. I know Joe's pieces get praise here, but I thought I'd remind everybody. I was a bit sceptical about buying a piece without playing it first (although Joe will do alterations - but this gets cumbersome between UK and USA), but went through Joe's process of establishing what you want and waited to see if it really works. The answer is an emphatic 'yes'. I ordered a Missing Link. I have some other Link-based pieces for soprano, which are pretty good, but Joe's is quite exceptional. The balance of highs and lows, the intonation, the ease of playing quiet in the higher register, the warmth and focus are remarkable. I finally have a soprano piece that does exactly what I want. Quite how Joe does it, I have no idea. I would recommend his work to anybody, and can't imagine you will be disappointed. It's one of those rare moments in life when something you want turns out the way you really wanted it. And the prices for individually made pieces are more than reasonable.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Joe does fantastic work and is a great guy. He walks the walk and talks the talk!
Every time someone comes to me looking for a soprano piece, I tell them to go to Joe.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I took a punt on one of these last year. I bought mine in order to go soprano shopping. I emailed Joe, he suggested a Missing Link, I ordered it, went shopping, bought a new Yani bronze straight soprano, and with the Missing Link, Marca reeds, I have a great set up that just works, I’m really impressed with Joes work, and very happy.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,792 Posts
So, I thought, having retired and got time and some money to spend, I'd finally try out a Soprano Planet mouthpiece. I know Joe's pieces get praise here, but I thought I'd remind everybody. I was a bit sceptical about buying a piece without playing it first (although Joe will do alterations - but this gets cumbersome between UK and USA), but went through Joe's process of establishing what you want and waited to see if it really works. The answer is an emphatic 'yes'. I ordered a Missing Link. I have some other Link-based pieces for soprano, which are pretty good, but Joe's is quite exceptional. The balance of highs and lows, the intonation, the ease of playing quiet in the higher register, the warmth and focus are remarkable. I finally have a soprano piece that does exactly what I want. Quite how Joe does it, I have no idea. I would recommend his work to anybody, and can't imagine you will be disappointed. It's one of those rare moments in life when something you want turns out the way you really wanted it. And the prices for individually made pieces are more than reasonable.
What tip opening did you get?

·
Registered
84 Posts
What tip opening did you get?
Just got a Missing Link in the mail today. I told Joe I was wanting something to smooth out the sound of my horn. It was sounding like an angry gnome. I thought I just had a crappy horn. Now it sounds smooth more like a clarinet than that angry demonic oboe from hell sound I was getting, especially on low notes. Now I can enjoy playing up and down the horn. It's so easy blowing. I got out the brand X mpc I bought just last week based on some people's recommendation, and couldn't believe how hard it is to blow compared to the Missing Link. Both pieces have the same tip opening (.058) This piece is aptly named, it was the Missing Link to me enjoying the soprano.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I love my Missing Link too, tip opening is .065 for me and on my Selmer SIII. I play it with either Marca as Joe suggested or Hemke for a bit extra warmth, Love it !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts