Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1st experience with Joe started when he contacted me to overhaul his King Saxello. When he came to meet me for the first time we got talking "shop" and I instantly got the vibe that this cat KNOWS sopranos and mouthpieces.

Now and again, I have recommended his opinion to others because of his vast knowledge and his helpful nature. Until now I never had him work on a mouthpiece of mine.

On soprano I never felt like "it played." Yes, I could get around the horn, yes, I could play in tune, yes I got a good sound. The down side was that it was never fun or comfortable. I played soprano when I needed to for a show "here and there" and avoided it otherwise. I just thought the reason for my feelings is that I need to shed for a couple years straight before the comfort factor set in.

Upon meeting Joe I knew I wanted him to work on a MPC for me. So, having a bunch of soprano work over the next few months, I decided to send Joe my Super Session.

It came back on Friday but didn't get a chance to play it until this weekend.

I HAVE NEVER PLAYED A SOPRANO MOUTHPIECE LIKE THIS!!!

It (for lack of a better word) "Locks" my sound in and pitch stays put until I tell it to move. And then it isn't much work to bend pitch.

Bottom Line ....... What Joe created more than a good mouthpiece for me - he removed my unhappiness about picking up a soprano.

THANKS JOE!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
I totally agree with Graysax with two thumbs up, Joe G/Soprano Planet knows good refacing cold and i am fussy about soprano pieces due to the parameters i need, that is another story. anyway i have had three mouthpieces done and they all turned out great considering it was to correct some other refacers work and then get down with the real work at hand. right now i want a fourth piece custom made and Joe is up to the challenge.
Give him enough time and money and he will turn a doorstop into a great playing piece, thanks Joe G

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
THANKS JOE!!
Hey Charlie, thanks so much for the kind words. It seems I'm doing as many Super Session pieces lately as my OPEN SKY Links. The recent ones, besides yours, were for Catherine Sikora and Bill Saxton in NYC, two great tenor players who were very frustrated by their soprano setups, but not anymore.:):):)

And thank you, too, tinpalaceroach. That slant of yours is a beauty and your new Ayler-esque piece is a serious and joyous work-in-progress.:sunny::sunny:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts