Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On curved sopranos and straight ones that have two necks, the necks can sometimes get dents. They are a tricky to get out because of the shape and size - and the octave pip getting in the way. If you have the curved neck they tend to slip round when you apply pressure.
Just wondering what you use to get dents out of these. Any tricks/ tips???

(I usually try knuckle dent tools used on brass instruments but it's not ideal.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Mate neck dents would have to be the worst things to try and repair. There in your face when you play and highly visible to the player and those around them

The soprano necks for me appear to be easier than a standard alto or tenor neck.

With the sopranos straight neck I have turned up a generic tapered rod, I fit this rod into a vise clamp system, and then apply roller pressure down and squeeze / roll the dent out.

For the tapered necks, same again but undersized taper by a good 3mm, which has been bent to the same shape as the curved neck, then I simply use this as a back up surface and hand burnish with a polished rod the dents out

The alto's and tenors I just dont like taking dents out of these, apart from the standard raking from underneath method, I have not found anything better yet. But am open to suggestions

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's tricky. The octave pip on this one doesnt' want to budge. It's so close to the cork that I'll have to recork it as well. It looks like it should be easy to fix, but nothing wants to shift without a fight. I've just noticed the body to bell brace has been knocked too so I'm going to have to strip it down for more de-denting. <sigh>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts