Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought an AW soprano sax along with Kessler soprano MP (hard rubber). I heard Antigua winds original MP is copy of YAMAHA 4C and can be frustrating. But I find that the original one is easier to blow and in tune than the Kessler one, which is a professional mouthpiece. I never played soprano before so I cannot tell what is going on. I am thinking to return the Kessler one since it is harder to blow. Should I return it or keep it in future when I improve? Is it because of my level that I cannot control Kessler MP? The kessler MP is in tip 5.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
....I find that the original one is easier to blow and in tune than the Kessler one, which is a professional mouthpiece.....
The information in your post makes it very simple: play the original mouthpiece.

The selection of a mouthpiece brand, mouthpiece tip opening, brand of reed, and reed strength (number) are all very personal choices. The mouthpiece and reed that works best for one person may not work at all for someone else.

I would stick with the mouthpiece that is working for you now for at least a year before even considering switching to something else. Soundwise your mission for now should be to get comfortable, develop consistency in your sound from the lowest Bb through the notes of the upper octave, and develop a nice tone.

The other mouthpiece may or may not work better for you some time in the future. Put it in a sock and forget about it for a while.

Most importantly, considering that you are just starting, get a private teacher to get some lessons.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,036 Posts
As I have mentioned many times.....the price of a mouthpiece does not determine how well it plays. I started on soprano in 1962 and have had Links, Selmers and a load of no-names and I now use a basic standard Yamaha 4C on all of my current 10 or so sopranos. Very easy direct sound and plays like a vintage Brilhart (if they had made them!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts