Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am normally a tenor player (Selmer Mark VI, Jody Jazz HR), but I am attempting t0 play Soprano (Yamaha 475II) on some tunes. The stock Yamaha mouthpiece feels like a peanut size clarinet mouthpiece that is stuffed with cotton. Anyone have a sugestion on a more open mouthpiece or will that just make the intonation worse (if that's possible)?

I'd appreciate some advice from you experienced Soprano players.

Ken

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
welcome to this great forum! re. soprano mpc., i'm sure some ideas will come through from members. i was lucky and won a custom from soprano planet. good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Play the stock mounthpiece for at least a mounth. :lol:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
726 Posts
I play a Selmer metal (refaced & enlargered chamber) because I like the sound, but for me the easiest piece on soprano is the Selmer HR S80 E.
I still keep it because of it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The stock Yamaha piece is a nice little piece and you won't get a better bang for your buck. Play it for 2-3 months before you right it off.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Mouthpieces are very personal and one size does not fit all. I agree that maybe you should stick with the stock piece BUT also try different reed brands, strengths and cuts. Even some of the stuffiest stock pieces I've tried over time (I have a box of them as well as the more favored pieces) show some promise with a simple reed-discovery. For instance, my old Selmer scroll-shank C* from the mid 1950s (which I bought new - OH NO!!), plays much better when I use a soft Fibracell synthetic reed on it . . . same with all of my closer-tipped Selmer pieces such as S-80 C*, D, E, F, and G. Once your soprano chops kick in, try to increase the tip-opening. Many are surprised when they go the open-tip/soft-reed route. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I have been playing soprano for about 49 years, used it in college, etc. I had Links, Selmers (scroll, S-80, Super Session) and many vintage mouthpieces but now use (gulp again!) a standard Yamaha 4C. Using about a #2.5 or 3 reed I can blow the roof off. Be patient and relax with the chops, maybe a softer reed, and give it some time.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
Like you I found the stock mouthpiece that came with my YSS-62 stuffy, but unlike the other posters I found a harder reed helped. I can't explain it but my local music shop had a box of 4.5s that was in the bargain bin. So I bought them for a few bucks. When I tried one I couldn't believe how the sound suddenly jumped into focus and the volume went up remarkably. I guess the lay on the mouthpiece might have been a bit closed. I'll never know because about six months ago I sold the horn, mouthpiece AND the rest of the box of reeds.

But overall I agree with the take home message. Don't give up on the stock piece until you've played it awhile and at least until you've exhausted the reed possibilities.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I started on soprano, I HATED my Yamaha 4C(on a Barone Classic soprano) but I learned what worked. I'd put on Rico orange box # 3's, and it really opened up the sound. But I later found Dukoff, and that's when my Soprano chops kicked in.

Try the Rico # 3's

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK, slight twist on the original question here; just acquired a gorgeous Antigua Winds (Yanigasawa bore) soprano. I normally play Tenor and Alto for jazz, and use the Rico (I know) graftonite mouthpiece with Vandoren Green Java #3 -cut- reeds. Found the Rico does NOT go well with the SOP yet the "stock" mouthpiece, a tiny stubby looking thing, slimmer than the Rico works wonderfully. Here's the problem; the ligature has seen better days, and all I can find is the standard size ligature that fits the "regular" larger mouthpiece, but not this small stubby thing. Anyone any suggestions ? (Tried a clarinet lig, no good)......

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I wouldn't assume the mouthpiece is the issue. Tenor and soprano feel very different. Take some time to get used to playing soprano before experimenting with mouthpieces.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
A Yamaha 4C is one of the best stock mouthpieces out there, it's especially good on soprano and baritone in my experience. Stick with that for several months, then worry about this later.

For what it's worth, all soprano pieces feel too small, at first. You'll get used to it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
don't know about Yamaha 4C since i never tried one but i will suggest to try an Otto Link rubber tone edge #6(around a .55-.60) with a soft to medium soft reed.
you'll have a good piece with room to grow on and not too big to handle on your new soprano chops.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
don't know about Yamaha 4C since i never tried one but i will suggest to try an Otto Link rubber tone edge #6(around a .55-.60) with a soft to medium soft reed.
you'll have a good piece with room to grow on and not too big to handle on your new soprano chops.
I don't know if at this stage in his soprano career that the OP needs to worry weather or not his mouthpiece was faced by a chimp.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm still looking for something that will fit my Yani SC992. So far:

Stock Yani
OK, but lacking a bit against other mpcs I have. A sort of a middle of the road thing but nothing special.

Caravan
A focused, dark and steady tone, but is too small, and is plugged all the way, and the neck almost pushes the reed o play in tune. Also a bit less volume. Harder to twist the tone. May be agood thing fro classical music. Incomplete.

Selmer S80 C**
A bit loud and I lack ability to control it well.
It works reasonably well but I would prefer something better.

Beechler Belite 7
Similar to Selmer but abit more screemy, and a bit less controllable.
It was hard to find a matching reed too and between all Vandoren and other better reeeds, only worked with the cheap RICO reeds.
Also just as Caravan is too tight, this one is too wide, and slips in too easy.
I should now replace the cork, to match it, but it's not better than S80 C** and don't want to do it ona new Yani.

So, the Selmer S80 C** it is for now but I'm not too happy with it.

All the above is subjective, and not a criticism of the mouthpieces. Just listing my impressions.
For example, I play S80 C* on Alto and it is great for me.

From the suggestions above, I may try the basic Yamaha 4C on the Soprano.

So still shopping, and wasting money ordering different ones.
I'm planning a trip through Canada in September. Any advice on where I could try a range of Sop mpcs?

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't know if at this stage in his soprano career that the OP needs to worry weather or not his mouthpiece was faced by a chimp.
I would suggest just the opposite - a poor mouthpiece can make attempts at playing a soprano VERY frustrating. You can get away with chimp-faced alto and tenor parts, but you'll give up on the sop without a good mp.

That said, while I don't like them, the Yamaha 4C seems to have a good reputation for playability and may be the student level "non-chimp-faced" mp you are looking for.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I agree. Kessler has a "custom" sop mouthpiece that is really the same Otto Link with "Kessler Custom" printed on it. It plays well if you throw away the Rico lig that comes with it. I like the Rovner Versa lig with this mp and #2 or 2-1/2 reeds.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm still looking for something that will fit my Yani SC992. So far:

Stock Yani
OK, but lacking a bit against other mpcs I have. A sort of a middle of the road thing but nothing special.
IMO, if you don't like the Yani mp, you won't like the Yamaha 4C but at least it is a small investment. For a curvy mp, talk to Joe at Soprano Planet. He has customer data on mouthpieces for a curvy specifically - seems they like certain mp features that straight horns may not. I think for a curvy he recommends a Selmer Super Session that he has tweaked. A larger investment but he'll keep tweaking until you are happy.........highly recommended!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts