Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got to know Joe Giardullo through this forum over the last couple of days, when he responded to my sound clips test of 3 sopranos. After some PM exchanges, I found Joe to be a a really nice gent, who seemed to have a genuine passion and deep knowledge about the soprano sax and music. I only knew him as the soprano mpc maker from SopranoPlanet, but after some digging by my ferrets here, I discovered Joe to be a formidable soprano player. It seems his voice is in the free jazz arena, which is something I myself am generally lukewarm to, but I found this clip of him playing on Youtube rather interesting, displaying unusual restraint, taste, form and structure while still incorporating all the advanced saxophone techniques associated with the genre. I thought it would be great to share it with the SOTW community, though some of you might already know his work. So get a coke, sit back and zen out to some spacey soprano playing from Joe Giardullo. Enjoy and feel free to share your comments and reactions on this thread after listening.

Joe has an interesting bio. He learnt/transcribed the whole Coltrane Giant Steps record by ear, and when he could play it, he decided to turn his back on it in search of his own voice. Which led him to study or do stuff with greats like Don Cherry, Steve Lacy, and Anthony Braxton - who introduced him to Stockhausen, which blew his mind open. He was invited by Nadia Boulanger, the famous classical composition teacher, to study with her (but didn't, shucks). And evidently, his soprano mouthpieces rock too!

Bonus prize for anyone who can guess the identity of the unique soprano sax featured in the clip. Okay, on to the video, aptly titled "Joe's Solo" :

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
726 Posts
Joe is playing a King soprano on this video, I think he knows more than any other human on this planet about sopranos (althought he is a soprano-planet citizen), and he has a wonderful attitude to share his knowledge.

·
Registered
530 Posts
wow great playing, nice sense of space on this. thanks for posting

11.20 pm here post gig glass of red wine, cheese and crackers

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe is playing a King soprano on this video, I think he knows more than any other human on this planet about sopranos (althought he is a soprano-planet citizen), and he has a wonderful attitude to share his knowledge.
First two posters on the thread, and the mystery soprano is no more a mystery! It's hard to fool these SOTW guys.
Comments about Joe G's attitude - totally agree.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
+1 ...... Joe is such a great guy .. what he doesn't know about soprano tone/voices probably isn't worth knowing

I bought his falling water cd a while back. Wonderful playing

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,313 Posts
Same here ,
Joe is a GREAt player and also a fantastic guy to talk too.
Best from Canada
Saxobari

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Joe is local for me and we have developed a friendship between me doing work for him and him doing work for me. Joe is one of those monster players who is beyond friendly and truthful to the core. When the term "real deal" was coined - they were talking about guys like him.

Charlie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts