Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a soprano saxophone that I would like to play in the school pep band. However, it does not have a lyre holder. Is it possible to have one put on? Or would any other instrument lyres work?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,308 Posts
Any lyre that you get will mess up the finish of your sax. Just take a cheap folding stand and sit where no one will knock it over.
Or better yet... Memorize the music. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,302 Posts
I like "memorize the music" or learn to play the pep-tunes by ear. But I'm wondering if you might be able to make your own wrist-mounted lyre-mount . . . make a velcro wrap that will hold a lyre's post. Or make an extension for the lyre's rod that includes a loop over your wrist, held fast by a velcro wrap.

What do piccolo and flute players use? They may have an adaptable lyre method.

Also, I have a Taiwanese-made clone of a Selmer MKVI soprano with a lyre-port just above the low C# tone-hole. I checked my other sops and they didn't have one (Buescher straight TrueTones, staright and curved Yanagisawas and an Antigua), but maybe you could find a different soprano with a lyre-mount. DAVE

·
19,308 Posts
The ones that flute players use now velcro around the forarm. Might work if you hold the sax far enough out and can get your eyes to focus at that wierd angle.
They are a definate improvement over the old wooden ones that you had to hold in your arm pit.

I still say memorizing the stand music is your best option.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
Sit behind another player and use a safety pin or paper clip to afix the music to their shirt. The old sopranos have a mount for the lyre and you can use the mast part of a clarinet lyre to give the proper angle. In a pinch, you can have a mount epoxied on the horn but as mentioned, it will leave a mark! I would consider taking a clarinet lyre, unscrewing the round part, drilling a hole in a clothes pin or some kind of clamp and mounting the lyre to that. Then you can just clamp it on the bell. I am assuming it is a straight soprano. If curved, more improvising!

·
19,308 Posts
If it's a curvie, they do have some for trumpet that 'clamp' on to the bell.
My daughter had one. Heavy, awkward, and a pain in the butt to get to stay put.
It might work on a straight sop...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts