Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have the firsttwo pieces and I am contemplating buying the yana metal to play on my Antigua.

1. If anyone plays a metal Yani mp, on soprano your thoughts please.
2. Compared to the other two pieces, What are the physical differences in the Yani. Chamber, throat, facing, etc

Thanks. Mayho

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have been playing a Yani Metal 6 on my soprano as my main piece. My Morgan Vintage sits in the case. I have owned a Link 6* and SS-H and the Yani plays heads above both. I just prefer the sound of the Yani.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, what sax do you play? Mayho.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,348 Posts
Tom: You've heard me say and write this many times . . . the player makes the decision, not others. I've played Yanagisawa mouthpieces on sop (metal and HR) and I did not like them.

I'm favoring more and more the Morgan Vintage pieces (6 and 7) I recently bought. The SS-J comes in a close second on my Yanagisawa sopranos and I still favor the SS-J on my TT. My STM Links (7* and 8*) are in my drawer.

As far as phyiscal differences, I don't recall. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
What kind of sound are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys won't believe this, but I called Kesslers to arrange a trip to purchase a Yanagisawa S901. I have a little extra money and thought I'd upgrade the Antigua I own. Dave Kessler asked what I was looking for in the yani that I wasn't getting out of the AW. (I don't play well enough to exhaust the possibilites of the AW.)

Remember: I already decided to buy the 901! Dave talks me out of that and suggests I try the yani metal. He prefers it's design for the AW over the Super Session. We are talking about a $100 mouthpiece vs. a $2200 dollar sax!!!!

This was the genisis of my question.

I just don't know many business people who operate like that. I will not be denied. Maybe I'll buy the metal piece and an alto from Kesslers. Mayho

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,671 Posts
Mayho -

I play a Yani metal #7 on my YSS-62 and I think it plays well. But lately I have developed a desire for a warmer sound that I hear in Lacey, Trane, Marsalis, (Barney) Wilen, so I may try some other mpcs next weekend when I go to Singapore and see if I can find one that I like. And this may mean that it will have to be a rubber piece, as opposed to a metal one.

Like Dave said, choosing a mpc is very personal and absolutely relative.

Good luck - to you and to me!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'd be VERY suprised if you can find a good range of soprano mouthpieces to choose from in Singapore. If there are any, I'd be the first to know! I think you're better off at getting your dream mpc online...just a thought...IMHO.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yani

Soprano pieces are a bit of a secret. I have preferred my metal 6 for sound over any other piece on my:Yani Elimona
Mk VI Selmer
!921 curved Buescher

in fact i think i will go buy some before they start getting expensive!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts