Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to dive into the world of soprano saxes and would like to hear some input from fellow soprano players on the Jody Jazz Classic. I have been to Jody's website and listened to the cut from Andy Snitzer. It does have a unique and contemporary sound. I think I will be play-testing all of Jody's soprano pieces and coming away with one of them . Looking for some thoughts on this and any of the Jody Jazz soprano pieces. thanks :cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anybody play this mouthpiece? Maybe I am looking into an empty box and with no other feedback I can only guess that it must not be that good or people would have sounded off on this. Mark

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I played a JJ classic on alto for over a year. Great mouthpiece. HUGE sound. Bright...great for lead but not harsh. It had a very nice core tone that I was able to work with. I used it without the spoiler on purpose.

Before I joined the forum here on soprano I was using a yamaha 4c with vandoren 3 1/2's. To follow my alto playing, I got a JJ classic #6 soprano from Jody on trial. I sent it back because the tone seemed big, but very airy and hard to play. I now know that all I needed to do was drop reed strengths since the piece was more open. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have a JJ Classic, originally a 7, but I had it refaced by Paul Coats to around an 8-3/4. Great piece! Despite my inadequacies on soprano this mouthpiece sounds great and is easy to play. Definitely give this piece a fair shake!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Everyone is different.

I took three JJ sop pieces on trial, returned two, and finally traded away the one I bought. It was a good enough piece, but I have others that I like a LOT better.

As far as I recall, the JJ is a Runyon that Jody has tweaked. Could be wrong on that, but they had the same external dimensions (very small size) and the JJ looked just like my Runyon pieces (which I don't care for, either).

Listening to someone else play a piece is probably the LEAST effective way of evaluating a mouthpiece. You just gotta do it yourself and not depend on other's playing of it OR someone else's reaction to it. DAVE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts