Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to receive a Selmer Concept, and have a Yani HR 5, a SopranoPlanet Missing Link, a Bari Esprit (not that another lig for it is a priority) and will likely be trying one of the Vandoren SLs at some point. I'd like to get a ligature that will fit most any HR piece well, and can at least be tightened enough for the mouthpiece to be moved for tuning, even though one then may loosen it again.

I've been looking at the SAXXAS and Vandoren Klassik lately as seeming to have flexibility both for fit and the way the reed is held. I'd be glad to hear of any other 'omni' ligatures, or that either of the two mentioned won't fit one of the mouthpieces I've listed. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I am about to receive a Selmer Concept, and have a Yani HR 5, a SopranoPlanet Missing Link, a Bari Esprit (not that another lig for it is a priority) and will likely be trying one of the Vandoren SLs at some point. I'd like to get a ligature that will fit most any HR piece well, and can at least be tightened enough for the mouthpiece to be moved for tuning, even though one then may loosen it again.

I've been looking at the SAXXAS and Vandoren Klassik lately as seeming to have flexibility both for fit and the way the reed is held. I'd be glad to hear of any other 'omni' ligatures, or that either of the two mentioned won't fit one of the mouthpieces I've listed. Thanks!
Rovner.

Don't believe the scuttlebutt that they "darken" or "muffle" the sound.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Saxxas and Winslow ligs are great but they do slip easily. I used Winslows on all my horns from the late 1980s through about 2010 or so.

I think Rovners are great all around ligs despite the fact that they aren't popular among some of the forum membership.

I also think regular Selmer 2 screw ligs are great and fit most standard hr pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,399 Posts
I like the Rico-H lig for sops.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dr G: No issues with it deforming? Has worked on a variety of sizes/shapes?

Seems like brass ligs are the ones that sometimes don't work for people on one piece or another, although yes I've seen some say they always come back to a standard 2 screw.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,402 Posts
I have all of those ligs (I gave away my Winslows, but that's another story . . .) plus others, including the Rico H. While I prefer the Selmer metal two-screw ligs over all others, they do not fit the slimmer soprano pieces, even some Selmer mouthpieces.

I also have most of those soprano mouthpieces, with the exception of the Concept. The only metal lig I have that will fit my Airflow (slim) up to my Vandoren SL3 (wide) is the Vandoren Optimum. It is the closest in sound-quality to my favorite Selmer ligs. And please, I don't mean to initiate yet another discussion about how ligs affect tone, if they do at all.

I am not a Rovner fan - and I have all of those variations, too. But, the Rovners will fit most soprano HR/plastic mouthpieces. DAVE

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
On various soprano pieces, I've found the Vandoren Optimum to be versatile, well-engineered, durable, & stable. Lately, 2-screw ligs (Selmer, Ishimori, or clones) seem to allow my reeds to vibrate more freely -- or at least more loudly in treble-y frequencies. Either option will fit a variety of mouthpieces.

2-screw ligs, having two independent zones of tightening, offer control & precision to accommodate various widths & tapers of mouthpiece barrel, & various thicknesses of reed. Ultimately, this advantage may outweigh the ergonomic ease of ligatures with a single knurled thumbscrew.

Never tried a Rovner cloth lig on soprano, so I can't speak to that. However, I have experienced a muffling of tone with Rovner Light and Dark ligs on alto. This phenomenon is far from mythical; some perceive it, some don't, YMMV.

It's not clear to me why anybody would need a single ligature to fit all soprano mouthpieces. Boutique mouthpiece makers will recommend an appropriate lig, or bundle one. When I play out I pack two pieces, each with its own lig.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The single lig thing is just that I'd like to not keep buying them, and my MP situation is still fluid.

Thanks very much everyone for your feedback!

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I use a BG cloth ligature on soprano. It's like a Rovner, but French-made. In fact I use BG cloth ligatures (or Rovner, if I can't find the right BG) on all my saxes. As turf3 said above in Post #2, 'Don't believe the scuttlebutt that they "darken" or "muffle" the sound,' only "scuttlebutt" isn't the word I'd use. "Bulldust" is closer to it. Or "arrant nonsense" even.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Nevertheless, MikeT, I enjoy the word "bulldust," regardless of how it is applied.

The Rovner ligs I used for a while on alto were all cloth, & I did perceive a brightening of tone & response upon switching to metal ligs. Whether reeds were vibrating more efficiently or the relative intensity of various harmonics had changed subtly, I dunno. Even if scientific wonks could test & measure this empirically, we sax players would continue to choose gear by trusting our subjective impressions.

It's plausible that a cloth ligature with a rigid surface contacting the reed (like the BGs & certain models of Rovner) might behave similarly to an all-metal lig. I do believe that tone is affected more by a lig's reed-contact surface than by how it grips the mouthpiece body.

Further complicating the quest for the perfect ligature, it would be nigh impossible to test how we players' perception of tone differs from the audience's perception, since our ears cannot be in two (well, four) different places at the same time. While our heads are almost always in the same position relative to the sax, out in the audience every variance in position of a few inches presents a different profile of soundwave reinforcement or cancellation.

Of greater concern is loss of hearing acuity as one ages, which is not consistent in all frequency ranges -- and which, like everything else, manifests uniquely for each individual.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They list 3 sizes for HR sopranos. Small for Selmer S80 / S90 and Vandoren V5 series, medium for the Soloist, "metal medium" for Vandoren V16 series.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Neither did I, until I had to give the facts to back up my vague recollection that they have to be chosen fairly carefully for fit. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts