Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been essentially on tenor fr the duration of my years playing. A little bit of alto, but nothing very serious, and have realized that I have a surplus $1100 - $1300 to play around with this month. Realizing that a Bari would be waaaay out of the question I was wondering what you guys would recommend going the way of a soprano. I have already done a bit of looking, but stopped as I realized I really don't know what it is that I'm looking for. I'm thinking something with a generally brighter tone. Though all help and suggestions are appreciated!

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Chuck - IMO you would be hard pressed to beat a Barone Soprano for price and playability. I have one with another on the way, and I had played a Selmer SA 80 Serie II for many many years, and a Yangikisawa Curved Sop as well. The Barone is a killer horn – Check out the many reviews on this forum.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Also consider a used cannonball curved soprano. If you find a modern martin made in Japan, it's a yanagisawa stencil and you can sometimes pick up a stencil for a song.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I would suggest adding the Bauhaus Walstein bronze deluxe model to your short list. Good action and lovely tone and lots of good reviews.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
Realizing that a Bari would be waaaay out of the question ...
You just made a very erroneous assumption.

These days, $1200 can pretty easily get you a nice low Bb BigHorn in good playing shape. I have a number of 'em, PM me if you are interested.

That said....you want a bright tone...you are talking a post 80's horn....because that's about when the tonal paradigm really shifted w/ Sopranos.

For that dollar, you should be able to land something quite good in a second-hand horn. A Yani, Yamaha, or Japanese-made Vito are some choices off the top of my head. Older Borganis (before they went 'boutique') are also quite nice and inexpensive.

(Aren't you glad you asked ?...you now have a list of 10 different mfr's.....)

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
You just made a very erroneous assumption.

These days, $1200 can pretty easily get you a nice low Bb BigHorn in good playing shape. I have a number of 'em, PM me if you are interested.

That said....you want a bright tone...you are talking a post 80's horn....because that's about when the tonal paradigm really shifted w/ Sopranos.

For that dollar, you should be able to land something quite good in a second-hand horn. A Yani, Yamaha, or Japanese-made Vito are some choices off the top of my head. Older Borganis (before they went 'boutique') are also quite nice and inexpensive.

(Aren't you glad you asked ?...you now have a list of 10 different mfr's.....)
Agreed. I've seen some pretty good older baritones going for around that price lately, including 60's era 12M horns that I would have no problem playing myself and recommending to others.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Bought my 1926 King Bari for just under $600 :) .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
Yup...there seems to be no "bottom" to the race to the bottom these day$....prices just keep going down to absurd levels....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
As far as a first soprano though, just about any $800-$1200 Taiwan make will be more than adequate. During that time, you will learn what you like about it, and what you don't, and where you want to make the changes in equipment. Same as any other instrument. Some older brands have modern palm keys and LH tables, but many do not (a consideration to take into account if you are unaccustomed to vintage soprano "ergonomics").

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Jay and saxismyaxe are right about the bari thing, its quite possible to pick up something nice used. You can send me a PM if interested as well, I have both a Bari and a sop in your price range!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts