Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, a note: I don't currently have a soprano, but if I'm able to get back to playing in a big band again I'll be picking one up at some point since alto does frequently double on it (my target would be a Buescher True Tone). So this is mainly an academic exercise.

Anyway, on my alto I play a Great Neck 4 tonalin. I love the sound and response it gets, and want something similar to that. The only problem is...Brilhart didn't start making soprano mouthpieces until significantly later (1980s). So obviously I'm not finding a Brilhart soprano that would match what I've got for alto. So my question is, what would be the closest equivalent?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bumping this one as I found a Series IV (1927, silver plated and in beautiful condition) for a price too good to pass up, and had to grab it before it was gone (it still kills me seeing just how undervalued vintage Bueschers are in the marketplace). It doesn't come with a mouthpiece, however, so I'm going to be looking for one once the horn arrives. I'm still looking for recommendations.

I'm really looking for that sweeter old-school sound (think the couple of recordings of Hodges on soprano) rather than something that's going to be overly bright or have a real hard, piercing edge to it, and I prefer a setup that's more free-blowing than resistant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.