Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some reco's on MPCs for newly acquired tenor and soprano.

For my bari, i have a Jody Jazz Jet 7 which suits me very well. I like loud and brash for Bari vs. smooth and dark. Planning on upgrading soon to a TW Durga 3 8*.
I only play for myself recreationally but do want good quality MPCs that not only won't get in my way but will sound great.

My tenor came with a Selmer 80 C*, I know i want to be in the Link vintage (not crazy $$) or Vandoren type old school jazz sound area, but i do not know what tip opening would translate from bari to tenor, of even if that matters. I don't even know a proper starting point for experimentation, as the C* is so very different from my bari opening.
A note on the Selmer 80 C*, feels too small for me (which i think makes sense?, yes?).

For soprano, i have a basic Yamaha 4C to get going, again, want that vintage jazz type sound but I actually like the nasal sound, want to be as far from a Kenny G sound as possible, but have no clue what make and especially what tip size to start looking at here as well.

Any help in either is appreciated, especially where to begin on tip size of each.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Tenor - you want a Link, buy a Link. Specifically, the vintage series metal mouthpieces. I bought one, it plays great, and is in my case as the backup to my main piece (a Phil-Tone Tribute, approx twice the price). The only downside is these pieces have a narrower shank than most other pieces (including the standard Link), so you will have to sand the cork. (In my case, I sanded out the mouthpiece bore using sandpaper on a dowel - took a long time, and my arms were tired!). For you, somewhere around a 6* or 7 would probably be fine.

Soprano - I really like the Bari hard rubber pieces. A 60 or 62 would probably be about right. Another alternative is the Selmer Super Session, E or F opening. But the Bari is cheaper and probably a more flexible piece.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts